PDA

View Full Version : any bow hunt?

stuckin
02-17-2007, 6:53 PM
wanted to see if any one here bow hunts? i have not been out in a couple years just wanted to see how its going. living in so cal
stuck

ViPER395
02-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I do in Norcal. I never have gotten a deer with a bow, but i've gotten a few decent shots over the years. I can hit a bale of hay, just not a deer.

Incitatus
02-20-2007, 3:08 PM
I do in Norcal. I never have gotten a deer with a bow, but i've gotten a few decent shots over the years. I can hit a bale of hay, just not a deer.

How does it taste? The bale of hay.

:D

ViPER395
02-20-2007, 3:38 PM
How does it taste? The bale of hay.

:D

Needed more salt

stuckin
02-20-2007, 4:21 PM
yea bow hunting is a lot harder then the rifle thats for sure. i have hunted up in nor cal a couple times by weaverville i think it was called. very nice up there. loved hunting up there. a lot nicer then so cal. wish i was up in that part of the woods.
stuck

SnWnMe
02-20-2007, 7:12 PM
It's hard to bow hunt here. They are too elusive.

1911su16b870
02-21-2007, 7:57 AM
Sorry to go off topic, but what is required to go bow hunting? Do you need to take the CA hunter safety course? Then fill out the lottery to get a CA tag? Any illumination on the subject or link would be appreciated.

ViPER395
02-21-2007, 11:22 AM
You need to take the safety course to get a General hunting license.

Then you need a valid deer tag, bird stamp, or whatever.

I assume you can hunt anything with a bow that you can hunt with a rifle. I do.

1911su16b870
02-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you ViPER395 for the info.

ViPER395
02-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Thank you ViPER395 for the info.

& for deer hunting in CA with a bow: most archery seasons start a month or more earlier than the "General" (gun) season.

ex: In the zone I hunt (D-5) I can start hunting for deer with a bow on the 3rd Saturday of August. I can only use a firearm on or after the 3rd Saturday in September.

On the coastal zones (A & B) I think the Archery season starts in July.

Crossbows are only legal during the General season. Not archery.

You can also get "Archery-only" tags. I'm not sure what the use would be for. Perhaps if you bag one during Archery season you still can get a General deer tag after. Maybe someone knows more about Archery-only tags here. I'd like to know more as well.

1norcalvarmintHunter
02-22-2007, 12:19 PM
I bow hunt year around... poaching is my favorite (j/k)

I like to go for pig with bow, it is a thrill sneaking up on a big hog!

I also buy archery tags every year.

1norcalvarmintHunter
02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
& for deer hunting in CA with a bow: most archery seasons start a month or more earlier than the "General" (gun) season.

ex: In the zone I hunt (D-5) I can start hunting for deer with a bow on the 3rd Saturday of August. I can only use a firearm on or after the 3rd Saturday in September.

On the coastal zones (A & B) I think the Archery season starts in July.

Crossbows are only legal during the General season. Not archery.

You can also get "Archery-only" tags. I'm not sure what the use would be for. Perhaps if you bag one during Archery season you still can get a General deer tag after. Maybe someone knows more about Archery-only tags here. I'd like to know more as well.

Archery only tags allow you to hunt multiple zones with one tag during the start of archery to the end, and then again in general season with a bow only!

jemaddux
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Archery only tags allow you to hunt multiple zones with one tag during the start of archery to the end, and then again in general season with a bow only!

Yea, the season for bow hunting is much longer but you will need it to get anything around SoCal with a bow. I have had way to many tree huggers around here screaming and yelling to chase game off. I have changed back to rifle hunting but might do some bow hunting this year also, get one AO tag and figure out a good zone to hunt rifle.

stuckin
02-22-2007, 2:15 PM
yea i have heard about them tree huggers running around the forest with loud music making all kinds of noise. good thing we are not back in the 1800's well for there well being at least. hunting the hogs with a bow is a kick in the pants for sure.

stuck

xenophobe
02-22-2007, 4:50 PM
I've never had the patience to bow hunt.

People in Santa Clara County have it pretty good with Stevens Creek Park Archery Range. There is an absolutely beautiful bow range run by the county over by Steven's Creek Dam. It's got a sight in range with targets from 25-75y if I remember correctly, and about 20 shooting stages at various ranges and scenarios... shooting from cover up in the hills down at targets, obscured by trees. It was really entertaining, and unless you're pretty good you'll lose at least a few arrows the first few times you go through the course.

ViPER395
02-22-2007, 5:00 PM
Theres a club in El Dorado Hills. El Dorado Bowmen I think it is. Never been there. Nice lookin place, tho.

-
http://www.eldoradohillsbowmen.com/

MonsterMan
02-22-2007, 6:52 PM
I used to bow hunt in Arizona a bit. I haven't gone since I move to CA in 96. I always used recurves or longbows. I never got into the compound bows.

The only thing I hunted was rabbits and javalina. Never went after the big game.