PDA

View Full Version : Hk Sl8 Carbine New Production .223 Is This A Good Deal ?

SemiAutoSam
02-17-2007, 7:50 PM
I saw this item over at HKPRO and thought it might be a bit HIGH and or the Dealer may be a bit high to sell this thing at that price.

SO what say you all ?

http://i11.tinypic.com/33y2nbs.jpg
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52020

adamsreeftank
02-17-2007, 8:15 PM
I don't know about the price, but is that ACOG really usable so high above the barrel.

I don't know why HK doesn't just put some rails on their rifles and get rid of the carry handle thing.

ask80
02-17-2007, 8:38 PM
that handle looks detachable..

s281c
02-17-2007, 8:40 PM
that handle looks detachable..

The carry handle is removeable, it's held on by three screws.

69Mach1
02-17-2007, 8:41 PM
I think the SL8-6 retails for $2300. They have been hanging around $2000-$2100 on Gunbroker. PM me for a So. Cal dealer who has them in stock.

JGarrison
02-17-2007, 8:46 PM
The exact rifle I just did the DROS on, should have my modified stock here pretty soon so I can take it to the range. I'll give a report when I do:)

BTW, that is the best deal you will prob find on the rifle!

Addax
02-18-2007, 12:04 AM
The exact rifle I just did the DROS on, should have my modified stock here pretty soon so I can take it to the range. I'll give a report when I do:)

BTW, that is the best deal you will prob find on the rifle!

I got one of the SL8-6 rifles. I am waiting for my pick up date.

They are pretty much like the original SL8-1, except it is all black plastic furniture and the upper scope rail on the -6 is much better than the original rail on the -1. Also, the -6 is a limited run of 500.

Not many folks in the HK collecting community think it is worth the cost. Yet since it is a limited run and my -1 needed a companion in the safe, I picked one up. I will have my -1 as a shooter and -6 as the collector rifle.

Addax.

Richard
02-18-2007, 12:15 AM
I got one of the SL8-6 rifles. I am waiting for my pick up date.

They are pretty much like the original SL8-1, except it is all black plastic furniture and the upper scope rail on the -6 is much better than the original rail on the -1. Also, the -6 is a limited run of 500.

Not many folks in the HK collecting community think it is worth the cost. Yet since it is a limited run and my -1 needed a companion in the safe, I picked one up. I will have my -1 as a shooter and -6 as the collector rifle.

Addax.

Will the new version accept AR mags?
Can you PM me the contact info and the price?

thanks

xenophobe
02-18-2007, 12:25 AM
I've purchased from ML Security Products.... his prices are pretty consistently on the low end of the spectrum, by a couple hundred bucks sometimes.

Definitely a recommended seller, IMO.

Richard
02-18-2007, 12:40 AM
I've purchased from ML Security Products.... his prices are pretty consistently on the low end of the spectrum, by a couple hundred bucks sometimes.

Definitely a recommended seller, IMO.

Thanks Xeno.......One thing I was thinking is that there certainly has been a lot of Noobies, and it should be made clear that Thumbhole stocks with detachable mags are a violation of state law.
I must be made clear that these thumbhole stocks must be modified to eliminate the Thumbhole thereby allow for detachable mags.

Just an FYI.....in case some missed the small print.

JGarrison
02-18-2007, 7:08 AM
Thanks Xeno.......One thing I was thinking is that there certainly has been a lot of Noobies, and it should be made clear that Thumbhole stocks with detachable mags are a violation of state law.
I must be made clear that these thumbhole stocks must be modified to eliminate the Thumbhole thereby allow for detachable mags.

Just an FYI.....in case some missed the small print.

Yep, I'm having my stock filled in, so no thumbhole at all.

Oh and the -6 will not accept AR mags, you still have to do the mods to do that.

JGarrison
02-18-2007, 8:23 AM
Here is one for $1895

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=151382

Addax
02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Will the new version accept AR mags?
Can you PM me the contact info and the price?

thanks

I found mine through Gunbroker. I paid $2200 for her, but I also got a nice aluminum case and 2 extra mags.

The SL8 series all take a standard single stack 10 round HK mag.

You can convert these to accept AR Mags.

Checkout http://www.top-notchparts.com/sgn.htm

All it takes is a little bit of plastic removal from the receiver (a plastic tab needs to be ground down (dremel it off very lightly), then you need to pick up a couple of parts, I believe a new mag well piece (to accept double stack AR Mags) for sure.

I am looking to have my SL8-1 converted to accept all of my preban AR mags.
Plus I am going to have the stock dyed black (along with my HK USC) and install a YHM Muzzle Brake on her.

This is my March Project.

69Mach1 made a couple of stock inserts for me, and if you contact him, he can give you all of the details.

Thanks,
Addax

mike452
02-18-2007, 11:18 AM
What did you guys tell your sellers to do before shipping to CA?
Does't the thumbhole need to be filled/blocked before entering CA?

JGarrison
02-18-2007, 11:19 AM
What did you guys tell your sellers to do before shipping to CA?
Does't the thumbhole need to be filled/blocked before entering CA?

Nope, the actual reciever on these is the upper, so I had the upper sent to my FFL and the lower with the stock sent to me. Then once I modify I can put the two back together:D

collector
02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Hello,
Which dealer has SL8-6 in stock ? Please let me know .
Thanks.

Addax
02-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Nope, the actual reciever on these is the upper, so I had the upper sent to my FFL and the lower with the stock sent to me. Then once I modify I can put the two back together:D

That is the way to do it.

bwiese
02-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I can't tell from the pix...

... I do hope someone can properly evaluate, before acquisition, that the bottommost tip of the grip area is sufficiently far enough away from the trigger that it could not be regarded as some convoluted pistol grip resting in the well of your clenched fist. With filled in thumbhole, I'm pretty sure it's not a 'pistol style grasp' but you wanna be well away from it.

Probably not, but think it over, eval & import w/fixed 10rd mag or as a manual cycled nonsemiauto first before going to alternate configs.

[Comparison: if you rest the lower corner/vertex of a MonsterMan grip on an AR in/inside the top of your clenched fist, there's no way your trigger finger can reach the trigger...]

Q
02-21-2007, 2:48 AM
http://i11.tinypic.com/33y2nbs.jpg

with a limited run of 500 it should be a good investment!
it looks really nice with the new carry handle.
nice work HK.:cool:

SI-guru
02-21-2007, 3:17 AM
I can't tell from the pix...

... I do hope someone can properly evaluate, before acquisition, that the bottommost tip of the grip area is sufficiently far enough away from the trigger that it could not be regarded as some convoluted pistol grip resting in the well of your clenched fist. With filled in thumbhole, I'm pretty sure it's not a 'pistol style grasp' but you wanna be well away from it.

Probably not, but think it over, eval & import w/fixed 10rd mag or as a manual cycled nonsemiauto first before going to alternate configs.

Bill,
Do you think the hand rail has any chance of being considered forward pistol grip ?

neomedic
02-22-2007, 2:58 AM
How do you load the sl8-6???

69Mach1
02-22-2007, 7:29 AM
With the stock modified, you load the magazine, insert it into the SL8, shoot, detach the magazine, and start all over.:D

This is the perfect rifle candidate to be a detachable magazine rifle, and to modify to use your preban AR magazines.