PDA

View Full Version : anybody build a 9mm OLL yet?

Socal858
02-17-2007, 5:01 PM
ive been shooting my OLL and i just replaced my original prince50 with the bullet button

however, looking at the price of ammo, im wondering about the feasability of building a CA compliant 9mm OLL

anybody done one yet?

hoffmang
02-17-2007, 5:38 PM
I believe that Wes and some buddies have built 9mm builds.

I want to build one.

-Gene

Santa Cruz Armory
02-17-2007, 6:22 PM
I like the idea of a cheaper alternative. I was thinking of going with a .40 cal upper next. I have two complete lowers, the other is gonna get a 24", 1/7 twist upper.

That will make 1 .223 20", 1 7.62x39, 1 .40 cal, and 1 .223 24".
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics110.jpg

CWatson
02-17-2007, 7:14 PM
I would love to get a OLL that takes Glock mags because I bought a lot of Model 17 and 19 mags before the ban, add a MM grip and YEEEPII!

CW

grammaton76
02-18-2007, 1:55 AM
I believe that Wes and some buddies have built 9mm builds.

I want to build one.

CWS actually had a complete 9mm Rock River AR available for sale at the Costa Mesa show...

Socal858
02-18-2007, 1:58 AM
CWS actually had a complete 9mm Rock River AR available for sale at the Costa Mesa show...

:( if i had money.

i want to bullet button it

tenpercentfirearms
02-18-2007, 7:53 AM
The only thing holding up 9mm builds is a lack of 10 round magazines. C Products was supposed to have them to us by now, but they still haven't. I built a RRA 9mm and I like it. I currently have everything you need to build them except the 10 round mags. :(

hoffmang
02-18-2007, 11:31 AM
The magazine issue has been why I've held off. The moment we can get a good supply of 10 round 9mm mags, Wes or CWS are going to be getting some of my money.

-Gene

Socal858
02-18-2007, 11:56 AM
whats the date on the mags, if any? or is that just dependant on C prod? i looked around for alittle, nobody makes anything that fits hte RRA mag block except the 25 round ones.

so i tried to do osme research, looks like ill need the 9mm upper, magblock, and hammer? and if im using an A2 stock the rifle length buffer is ok?

jerryb78
02-18-2007, 12:38 PM
i really need more info on this 9mm build, very interested. heard that you need special buffer/ spring-- a really good one. or else you will start breaking stuff. any new info on the 10 round magazine for sale? anybody with more experiance on 9mm build please advise.

grammaton76
02-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Mags aren't a big issue.

For one thing, you can mod a Sig pistol mag.

For another... well, we have certain very industrious forum members... :D

Socal858
02-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Mags aren't a big issue.

For one thing, you can mod a Sig pistol mag.

For another... well, we have certain very industrious forum members... :D

hmmm! yeah we do have a lot of people making FAL/PTR mags so i dont see why an uzi mag would be out of the question

would i be fine using a rifle buffer and a2 stock? thats what i heard on arfcom. though i want to be sure. id rather not be breaking bolt catches and trigger/hammer pins

grammaton76
02-19-2007, 12:57 AM
hmmm! yeah we do have a lot of people making FAL/PTR mags so i dont see why an uzi mag would be out of the question

Correct... stay tuned, 10rd AR 9mm mags will be hitting the CA market soon as a regular item, even if RRA never gets around to it. Just like with the OLL's... the manufacturers don't get a choice, they're gonna have CA compliant versions of their products on the market. :D

would i be fine using a rifle buffer and a2 stock? thats what i heard on arfcom. though i want to be sure. id rather not be breaking bolt catches and trigger/hammer pins

Beats me - I know the RRA 9mm setup we were selling looked like it was an A2 stock. I don't know what the specs were on its buffer, though. If I were you, I'd just buy a complete RRA 9mm rifle.

fal_762x51
02-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Someone already did an UZI 10/32 mag conversion. It was Tony if I'm not mistaken.

leelaw
02-19-2007, 1:00 AM
I'm still researching which kits will work best with my various 9mm magazines, then it's just a matter of cash.

grammaton76
02-19-2007, 1:02 AM
Someone already did an UZI 10/32 mag conversion. It was Tony if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, and Wes did a small run of 10 or so.

However, at the moment, there's no readily available way to buy pre-prepped drop-in 10rd CA 9mm mags, as opposed to building them yourself.

That's not too far off from changing.

69Mach1
02-19-2007, 1:06 AM
What you're looking for is the magazine well insert/magazine brand combination that works together perfectly. I prefer the ones specifically made for the Colt magazines because of the last shot bolt hold-open feature, and a mag insert that does not require you to cut the lower to install a pin.

Socal858
02-19-2007, 1:14 AM
im not too worried because i doubt ill have money for the RRA 9mm receiver until around the time C products releases those mags. i can buy a magblock, bullet button, parts kit, and hammer for my second lower and thats about where my current budget ends

krim
02-19-2007, 1:29 AM
whats the date on the mags, if any? or is that just dependant on C prod? i looked around for alittle, nobody makes anything that fits hte RRA mag block except the 25 round ones.

so i tried to do osme research, looks like ill need the 9mm upper, magblock, and hammer? and if im using an A2 stock the rifle length buffer is ok?

i really need more info on this 9mm build, very interested. heard that you need special buffer/ spring-- a really good one. or else you will start breaking stuff. any new info on the 10 round magazine for sale? anybody with more experiance on 9mm build please advise.

if you use a A2 stock, you need a 9mm buffer and stock spacer or a 9mm buffer w/ a CAR spring. There's info on the RRA website should you choose that route over the Oly upper route.

GTKrockeTT
02-19-2007, 1:34 AM
much love to you Wes, couldn't have completed it without you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=36833&highlight=9mm+rra

hoffmang
02-19-2007, 1:35 AM
So now I'm confused. Where can I get 10 10 round 9mm Mags for an RRA build?

Reasonable price is not a problem.

-Gene

Socal858
02-19-2007, 1:38 AM
if you use a A2 stock, you need a 9mm buffer and stock spacer or a 9mm buffer w/ a CAR spring. There's info on the RRA website should you choose that route over the Oly upper route.

not making sense to me.:confused:

wouldnt a CAR spring and 9mm buffer be too short for an A2? and wouldnt 9mm buffer & stock spacer and rifle spring be way too high of spring rate?

GTKrockeTT
02-19-2007, 1:40 AM
So now I'm confused. Where can I get 10 10 round 9mm Mags for an RRA build?

Reasonable price is not a problem.

-Gene

You didn't get one from Wes? Post #30 in the link I provided seems that you were, at the very least, in the "know."

ts
02-19-2007, 3:30 AM

Yup - Vector did it for me, really great guys there. Just try to get past the woman who picks up the phone. Once you get past her those guys are the best.

krim
02-19-2007, 8:20 AM
not making sense to me.:confused:

wouldnt a CAR spring and 9mm buffer be too short for an A2? and wouldnt 9mm buffer & stock spacer and rifle spring be way too high of spring rate?

IIRC, the stock spacer is used w/ the CAR spring, so you dont use a rifle spring. So basically the combinations are;

CAR Stock + CAR Spring + 9mm buffer
or
A2 Stock + CAR Spring + 9mm buffer + 9mm stock spacer (goes inside rifle length buffer tube)

If you goto the RRA 9mm Uppers page (http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=9MM0550X&storeid=1&image=9uha2407.gif&CFID=21766451&CFTOKEN=44596967) there's a "9mm Conversion Info" link on the upper right side, click on that, might be a better explaination than mine.

Socal858
02-19-2007, 11:06 AM
IIRC, the stock spacer is used w/ the CAR spring, so you dont use a rifle spring. So basically the combinations are;

CAR Stock + CAR Spring + 9mm buffer
or
A2 Stock + CAR Spring + 9mm buffer + 9mm stock spacer (goes inside rifle length buffer tube)

If you goto the RRA 9mm Uppers page (http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=9MM0550X&storeid=1&image=9uha2407.gif&CFID=21766451&CFTOKEN=44596967) there's a "9mm Conversion Info" link on the upper right side, click on that, might be a better explaination than mine.

cool thanks for the link! ive been to that page and never looked at that picture that closely for the link

jerryb78
02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
here is soomething i found. check out this link at Gunbroker-- 9MM Colt Type Magazine Conversion - link :- http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65987831

COLT TYPE 9MM MAGAZINE CONVERSION BLOCK (ADAPTER) FOR AR-15 RIFLES. THIS IS THE ONLY ADAPTER THAT HAS THE LAST ROUND BOLT OPEN

somebody have this item so we can make a copy? or find a better source with a cheaper price?

jerryb78
02-19-2007, 12:41 PM
and here is another one if you are using a UZI mag:- http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66140728

AR-15 magazine wells and accepts UZI magazines. Requires absolutely no modifications to UZI magazine or lower receiver. CNC machining ensures close tolerances and proper fit. For Colt and Colt clone 9mm. Will not work in an Olympic Arms or Dalphon 9mm.

bu-bye
02-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I want to do a 45ACP build some day. I can easily make an adapter that will take 1911 10rd mags. Some day when I have money:(

krim
02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
here is soomething i found. check out this link at Gunbroker-- 9MM Colt Type Magazine Conversion - link :- http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65987831

COLT TYPE 9MM MAGAZINE CONVERSION BLOCK (ADAPTER) FOR AR-15 RIFLES. THIS IS THE ONLY ADAPTER THAT HAS THE LAST ROUND BOLT OPEN

somebody have this item so we can make a copy? or find a better source with a cheaper price?

pretty sure that's a RRA mag block. It's cheaper to get it from Adcofirearms.com, $125 i think.

gunrun45
02-19-2007, 3:51 PM
I currently have the Oly 45ACP upper and 9mm upper.

I run the mag block and STEN 9mm mags. Runs like a sewing machine and great fun. I use a MM grip on my OLL and don't worry at all with my reg AW.

I have a question for all those FFL's out there out of state.

STEN mags are like $5 each (cheaper in bulk from some sources) and there are almost litterally boat loads out there right now.

Why doesn't some enterpriseing individual just start converting normal 32 round STEN mags into 10 rounders. All you have to do is pin the stupid things and you could re-sell them for a very fair profit. Especially if you buy them in bulk from a warehouse.

I know for a fact that there are FFL's in CA who have their high cap licenses who read this board. You could re-sell these for like $25 and people would be more than happy to buy them. Since you would not be selling high cap mags to the general population it would be well within the letter of the law I believe... Maybe I'm wrong here but still, out of state sellers could make a killing on this!

STEN mags in general are pretty tough and rouged units. Finish tends to be poor but they are easy to re-park or gunkote to "like new" condition.

I also run modified STEN mags in my 45ACP Oly upper with a little mod to the feed lips and body.

I'm currenlty lusting after the Oly arms lower that takes Glock 9mm and 40 mags!! I wish I could find one for sale somewhere. Right now they are hard to find even as complete rifles... Some day...

tay
02-20-2007, 1:34 PM
Found info regarding the CProducts 9mm Mags, however these are the 30 rounds. Hopefully the converted 10rd will follow soon.

From ar15:

Final test will be run on Tuesday morning, 2-20-07, at Colts. We are confident there will be no issues. The tool alteration will take 4 days. Manufacturing 1 week. Magazines should be shipped to 44MAG on 3-7-07.
There are no issues with a Bushmaster or Hahn block system.

Larry
C Products

I have my money ready.:D