PDA

View Full Version : Mt Baldy

dandechino
10-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Thinking about getting to the top of Mt Baldy. Looking at the map there are multiple pathways up to the top. What say you guys? Which way should I go? What are these trails like? What would be a few essentials I should pack with me on a day hike?

http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/baldy.html

Topographic map (http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/images/BaldyTopo-1510.jpg)

TrailerparkTrash
11-01-2011, 12:18 AM
I've only been to the very top via helicopter. I wouldn't hike it, but that's just me. A woman died from up there within the past year. She was not physically, nor mentally prepared for the trip.

Sanderhawk
11-01-2011, 5:37 AM
If there not a 4wheelin trail going up to the top I won`t be up there anytime soon. :)

ADAM
11-01-2011, 7:08 AM
you are not talking about to the top of the bold section,unless you have climing gear dont attempt

Roots
11-01-2011, 7:16 AM
Baldy is a somewhat easy hike...what physical condition are you in?

As far as essentials - that would depend on what YOU need to be successful. PM me and I'll offer some advice. Know the place well and train there often.

Panchira!
11-01-2011, 7:41 AM
I hiked up there in the winter with my snowboarding gear a few years ago its not bad just bring basic hiking gear and warm clothes as it can get chilli up there

Iskra
11-01-2011, 7:43 AM
My favorite trail goes from Manker Flats through the woods to the Sierra Club hut, then traverses the bowl, and goes up the west ridge to the top. Its a fun snow hike too.

cineski
11-01-2011, 2:06 PM
I agree with Iskra, the trail past the Sierra Club hut is fantastic. There's nothing up there that being smart and prepared will prevent a completely successful hike. I highly recommend trekking poles, a great pair of hiking boots and a good day pack (I dig Gregory). I personally drink a good amount of water depending on temp so 3 liters plus a few extra bottles is good for me. Baldy is an amazing trip often riddled with liberals. My buddy was actually stopped by a group of people because he was wearing camo pants and they wanted to make him feel bad about it. Devil's backbone is actually a pretty cool trip down from the peak but you don't want to walk down from there....that's a horrible and long hike on concrete once you pass the lift.

Make sure your car is completely empty of anything valuable. I even put a sign in my window stating such and that I'm watching from close by.

Changalang
11-01-2011, 4:44 PM
you are not talking about to the top of the bold section,unless you have climing gear dont attempt

this. ive been to a couple of trails leading up and they all leave me wishing i had climbing gear. be careful sir.

ducktapeguy
11-01-2011, 8:39 PM
I like going counterclockwise because going up the bowl is a thigh burner. Going down it is still a killer, but a pair of trekking poles (a knowing how to use them) will save your knees and toes. I usually start from Manker flats then take the fire road up to Baldy Notch to Devils Backbone, then come down the bowl past the Sierra club hut. No special equipment needed if you go while it's dry. If I were going now I'd pack some warm clothes because the top is windy and cold.

If you're going up via the ski hut trail, it can be easy to miss the trail when hiking up from Manker (I've passed it twice while not paying attention). After you pass the first turn after the falls, start looking back and the trail is pretty obvious. You just gotta be looking for it.

There's an old gold mine across the canyon just below the ski hut (i just noticed it on the topo, the gold ridge). The entrance was open at one time, but it's probably been covered up again by landslides.

Head416
11-03-2011, 3:39 PM
I took the Bowl Trail (aka Ski Hut trail) in May. Awesome hike, kicked my butt though. For me it was 5 hours to get to the top, but I'm admittedly out of shape. My big toe nail is still purple from the hike back down.

I'm not sure what the references to climbing gear are... must be an area I'm not familiar with. Once it starts snowing the danger/effort will change significantly.

bubbagump
11-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Every year people hike up to Baldy looking like they're going on a f*cking Everest Expedition :facepalm:

Take the essentials & good shoes. If you go solo, let people know where you are going and when you plan to be back.

Have fun.

mindwip
11-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Ski hut trail will kick your butt if your not ready. The devils backbone is easyier.

Best thing to bring is poles, I flew down with them.

TrailerparkTrash
11-04-2011, 5:45 PM
...Baldy is an amazing trip often riddled with liberals. My buddy was actually stopped by a group of people because he was wearing camo pants and they wanted to make him feel bad about it.

So does that mean if a group of us go up there wearing tiger stripe camo, black face paint, Coors light bear can hats with flex tube in one's mouth; coupled with a LEGAL AW on our shoulders, those libs would go berzerk???

Sign me up!!!!

Iskra
11-04-2011, 7:07 PM
You should all keep the tiger stripe pants, wear plain khaki shirts, hats with one side turned up, and pistols in shoulder holsters. Oh, and having a sweet mustache is half the battle. Its a force multiplier. I love my job. Hell yeah!