PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Cheap HK P7M8?

ts
02-17-2007, 2:35 PM
Hey guys, I made a post a while back about a HK P7M8 - A friend is looking to buy the cheapest (he does not care about condition) but still shootable one. He wants the push button mag release. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Tony

donger
02-17-2007, 2:42 PM
Hey guys, I made a post a while back about a HK P7M8 - A friend is looking to buy the cheapest (he does not care about condition) but still shootable one. He wants the push button mag release. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Tony

A dirt cheap P7M8? :rolleyes:

E__WOK
02-17-2007, 4:15 PM
There is no such push button M8. The heel release is the PSP which is not a safe gun.

The M8 has the ambi mag release.

Cheap is anything under $1300.

bobfried
02-17-2007, 4:21 PM
While we're at it how about a cheap Artilery Luger?

Or maybe a cheap M1A?

If you know any of the above I will pay you $100 if I can buy it.

Sam Hainn
02-17-2007, 4:24 PM
There is no such push button M8. The heel release is the PSP which is not a safe gun. The M8 has the ambi mag release. Cheap is anything under $1300.

What makes you say the PSP is not safe? I have never heard anyone state that before, so curious on thoughts on that.

I have one of the very first release PSPs ever made and I can't see how there would be anything unsafe about it over any later issue or model P7s. I have M8s as well as multiple P7M13s and a P7M10.

As far as dirt cheap goes, the cheapest I have seen in the past year was $795 range for one used, 1 mag, no box, and finish wear but clean inside.

STAGE 2
02-17-2007, 4:26 PM
The heel release is the PSP which is not a safe gun.

Thats news to me. If anything the PSP has less of a chance of ejecting the mag due to an improper holster.

xenophobe
02-17-2007, 4:31 PM
A cheap P7M8. lol.

If anything the PSP has less of a chance of ejecting the mag due to an improper holster.

+1

icormba
02-17-2007, 4:33 PM
What makes you say the PSP is not safe? I have never heard anyone state that before, so curious on thoughts on that.

I have one of the very first release PSPs ever made and I can't see how there would be anything unsafe about it over any later issue or model P7s. I have M8s as well as multiple P7M13s and a P7M10.

As far as dirt cheap goes, the cheapest I have seen in the past year was $795 range for one used, 1 mag, no box, and finish wear but clean inside.

I think he might be using DOJ language... meaning it's not on the Safe Handgun List. Which, as we all know, would make it NOT SAFE. ;) :confused: :rolleyes:

Sam Hainn
02-17-2007, 4:35 PM
I think he might be using DOJ language... meaning it's not on the Safe Handgun List. Which, as we all know, would make it NOT SAFE. ;) :confused: :rolleyes:

I thought that too. But at one time the re-release of it was, soooo.... hmmm. :confused:

Black Majik
02-17-2007, 5:01 PM
The only place I was aware of that had cheap P7M8s was at Turners. For the cheap price of only $1599...

mike100
02-17-2007, 5:13 PM
The price where a nice p7m8 moves is about $1100. I saw a PSP and a P7 380 caliber go thru the san marcos turners on consignment at that price.

I kind of wish I had scooped the PSP up, but I got a m8 instead.

A well worn one might sell for $900..maybe

rorschach
02-17-2007, 6:16 PM
Post a dupe on HKpro and see what comes up.

JGarrison
02-17-2007, 7:50 PM
I sold two in the last month, both went for $1300 and sold in just a few hours after I posted them. I am looking for another one to buy though, a shooter that I want to have hard chromed:D

ivanimal
02-17-2007, 8:01 PM
I got a PSP for 1050 I picked it up at Krausewerk on Friday after my 10 day wait.

JGarrison
02-17-2007, 8:05 PM
I got a PSP for 1050 I picked it up at Krausewerk on Friday after my 10 day wait.

Nice! I really want to want an M13 but that will prob not happen, lol.

JGarrison
02-17-2007, 8:07 PM
Here is a P7 for sale in CA

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66132102

Kruzr
02-17-2007, 8:26 PM
Here is a P7 for sale in CA

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66132102
In CA but not a PPT. It says in the ad:

No sales to CA, NJ, CT, NY city, or any other areas that this item is not allowed by law.

ts
02-18-2007, 2:05 AM
Yeah guys, I know the P7 is a very unique and wonderful firearm. And I know they are quite pricey, I have a friend who is in the diamond/watch industry - he is doing a favor for me, and I want to do a favor for him. I found him a P7M8 at the Signal Hill Turners for $1700. He used to have one and he described a push button mag release. I have never handled a P7 nor a P7M8 - I do know that the German P7 had the mag release at the bottom, and the P7M8 has it on the grip - he described his old one as a push button.

So I guess he wants a P7M8 in 9mm of course.

He told me he does not care how beat up and scratched it is, just as long as it shoots. I told him to buy a good condition one and it might even go up in value. By dirt cheap I meant around $900. He does not care about the box, manuals, cleaning supplies. Just the gun and 1 mag. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Tony

Rawny
02-18-2007, 6:21 AM
He's probably talking about the earlier version of the PSP, with a protruding mag release:

Click on the pic
http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/thumbnail/p7psp-hc-nill-right-flat.jpg (http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/photos/p7psp-hc-nill-right-flat.jpg)

mike100
02-18-2007, 3:00 PM
yeah, the p7m8 m13 types might be better described as a push lever in the browning style location where the p7 psp is a euro heel release button.

dondo
02-18-2007, 7:43 PM
Werent you looking for this same pistol in December? Something about a watch or something?

ts
02-18-2007, 8:24 PM
Yup.

mick
02-19-2007, 8:30 AM
I sold a well worn one last summer for $850 but it was to a buddy who wanted a shooter...

FormerLaCrescentan
02-19-2007, 1:06 PM
Oxymoron for sure - "Dirt Cheap" and "HK P7M8" in the same sentence????

jerryg1776
02-19-2007, 2:45 PM
Oxymoron for sure - "Dirt Cheap" and "HK P7M8" in the same sentence????

I want a dirt cheap Rolex... Good luck in finding one, its a great shooter. I have a M13 and would like to pickup an M8 someday.

ts
02-19-2007, 3:11 PM
I want a dirt cheap Rolex... Good luck in finding one, its a great shooter. I have a M13 and would like to pickup an M8 someday.

I can get you a dirt cheap Rolex (seriously, if you want I can help you out). The watch that I'm trying to get has a 4 month waiting period.

48.4mm Breitling Bentley (for comparison a Presidential Rolex is ~34mm)

This is what I am looking to get:

http://img.timezone.com/img/articles/news631849885925781250/Breitling48mmChronoBentley.jpg

Now do you guys understand why I need a beat up HK P7M8!!?? Anyone else can help?

Thanks,
Tony

donger
02-19-2007, 4:05 PM
I can get you a dirt cheap Rolex (seriously, if you want I can help you out). The watch that I'm trying to get has a 4 month waiting period.

48.4mm Breitling Bentley (for comparison a Presidential Rolex is ~34mm)

This is what I am looking to get:

Now do you guys understand why I need a beat up HK P7M8!!?? Anyone else can help?

Thanks,
Tony

Dude, what does a 20 year old need with a Breitling Bentley? Unless you're slinging rock on the corner or the son of a mafia Don I don't see a use for the damn thing. Are you the son of a Mafia Don?

rorschach
02-19-2007, 4:45 PM
Breitlings are overrated. I'm more a Sub/Sea-Dweller/Seamaster guy myself.

You're gonna spend all that green on a wristwatch, but want to shoestring on a firearm??

CALI-gula
02-19-2007, 5:37 PM
Phillip Anschutz wears a Timex. And he has ALWAYS worn a Timex.

It's something to think about.

ts
02-19-2007, 5:58 PM
Haha - no I am not a son of a Mafia Don. Even though my whole family is full blooded Sicilian from Brooklyn. My father was president of companies who had military contracts with the US Military.

Rogue187
02-19-2007, 6:11 PM
I would say the gun is the thing to get as the watch will always be around.
Once the new laws come into play and some guns will never return to the state you will really miss out.
A watch can always be found..
Once you miss out and find the watch yet cannot find the gun you will kick yourself.

ts
02-19-2007, 8:01 PM
Oh - when I turn 21 I am gonna pick one up too!

ts
02-20-2007, 2:43 AM
I would say the gun is the thing to get as the watch will always be around.
Once the new laws come into play and some guns will never return to the state you will really miss out.
A watch can always be found..
Once you miss out and find the watch yet cannot find the gun you will kick yourself.

The watch has a 4 month waiting period, it's rare and they might stop making it soon. I don't want a used one.

Phillip Anschutz wears a Timex. And he has ALWAYS worn a Timex.

It's something to think about.

My guy wears a cheap Seiko most of the time. But then again he mostly deals in diamonds. He has many other watches but I have never seen him in any. I just love the way it looks and the mechanics of it. One day I will be able to afford a skeleton VC.

True Brit
02-20-2007, 4:52 AM
$850 Well you have to be quick...and I think you are going to be late on this one.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifieds/View/_976839936.aspx

JGarrison
02-20-2007, 5:43 AM
$850 Well you have to be quick...and I think you are going to be late on this one.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifieds/View/_976839936.aspx

yep, that one is already sold:D

True Brit
02-20-2007, 5:46 AM
Since you want the watch also..no waiting on that either. And I will find it at a discount for you.
http://www.swissluxury.com/breitling-watches-bentley-t.htm

ivanimal
02-20-2007, 9:55 AM
I have not worn a watch in 20 plus years. Who needs them.:p

ts
02-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Since you want the watch also..no waiting on that either. And I will find it at a discount for you.
http://www.swissluxury.com/breitling-watches-bentley-t.htm
Not the watch, notice the bezel. That is the lesser model and notice the lack of a black face. And my deal is going to be much sweeter.

True Brit
02-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Well you tell your friend that he can have a NIB (yes, unfired) P7 with the flush heel for the right Submariner.

I would prefer a 16618chser
http://dregomez.com/images/16618chser.jpg
but will accept an 16613chser
http://dregomez.com/images/16613chser.jpg

Being the ever generous guy I am I will even throw in a thousand rounds of WWB. He can contact me anytime to discuss the deal.

Eric H.
02-20-2007, 1:25 PM
In Orange County 1 out of 5 people that go out have that watch. Of those people that have it 9 out of 10 have fake ones. It's the most played out watch that you can buy. If you really want to get something a bit different, get the Breitling Bentley, Motors T watch...it has a different bezel and strap. I've had 2 bentley watches both of which I sold. I got them when they first came out then got rid of it when I noticed every poseur that goes out bought a fake one. If you like that style, pick yourself up a Hublot Big Bang. Few and far between do people have that watch or if you want to spend a bit more a Audemar Piguet is a nice addition.

Here's a review to a link/review on Time Zone to the Bentley Motors T:http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2263560&rid=0

Here's a pic of the Hublot:

http://www.lacotedesmontres.com/detail/Hublot-Big-Bang/montres-Hublot-Big-Bang-Acier-et-Or-rose.jpg

Here's a pic of the AP:

http://www.maissen.com/juwelier/images/ap_royaloak.jpg

True Brit
02-20-2007, 2:06 PM
Well, I am not concerned with what others are wearing I happen to like Rolex for their looks and ability to take a licking. I doubt that the number of fakes are 9 in 10 and I believe none of my friends are willing to wear a fake. I am also a big fan of Casio and Seiko.

There are pleanty of people with 10 or 20 grand to spend on a watch in SoCal and around the US. Do you think that all of the Bentley cars are fake? Maybe the S series Mercedes? I think that most of those drivers could, if they wanted and they may not, be able to purchase any watch they want.

I do not think that you are going to impress many with a 6 grand watch...not in OC or LA my friend. I am not saying that the watch you want is not nice and is am sure that it is worth what you are willing to pay for it but...some like Colts, Kimbers and others like Wilson and maybe a Korth. Life is full of choices. Select as you please.

ts
02-20-2007, 3:22 PM
Hey guys, Hublots are very nice watches no doubt - but they look too futuristic to me. Same with many IWC's. I prefer a more classic style. As far as the Bentley goes, I am not buying it to impress anyone or anything like that. My daily beater watch is a Rolex DayDate stainless with a white gold bezel. If I am not mistaken I believe that the Hublot, Daytona, and the Bentley have the same movement only slightly modified. I would never recommend anyone to get a Submariner - it is the most faked Rolex there is and the worst part about it is that it is hard to tell the fakes from the real ones. The only benefit the Submariner is it's larger size. Chronograph fakes are VERY easy to spot.

My friend has the Bentley GT and he was at a club and a girl asked him why his second hand wasn't working. She said, "Is your watch broken? My boyfriend has the same watch and his second hand works." His response was, "Mine is fake."

I don't really want to be friends with anyone who is only talking to me because of my watch.

P.S. The watch retails at around $8-9 I am going to be paying a lot less then that.

Edit: Those of us who live in LA know whats up. Most Rolexs are fake. Especially Submariners (hard to spot if they are real or not). The other fakes are just so obvious you can tell. As far as the Mercedes Benz S Class. I know many people who have leased the S430 and put S600 badges on it. Pretty lame. I myself drive 2 Corvette's (I hate them, presents from my father), a Silverado truck (hate that too, but it is useful at times), and today I just sold my Cadillac DeVille. I am looking to sell one of the Corvettes (the one that it here in CA, other one is in NY) and within the next few months I am going to buy a E46 M3 SMG.

donger
02-20-2007, 3:47 PM
I can spot a fake Rolex Sub upon initial examination. It's pretty easy. Most will have a cheesy cyclops.

Must be nice to have Mommy and Daddy buy you a coupla Corvettes. Do me a solid and just give it to me.:)

CALI-gula
02-20-2007, 3:47 PM
Well, I am not concerned with what others are wearing I happen to like Rolex for their looks and ability to take a licking.

Sorry, again, that's Timex.

Rolex just makes Timex knock-offs. :D

" Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!! "

ts
02-20-2007, 5:39 PM
I can spot a fake Rolex Sub upon initial examination. It's pretty easy. Most will have a cheesy cyclops.

Must be nice to have Mommy and Daddy buy you a coupla Corvettes. Do me a solid and just give it to me.:)

New fakes are getting better with the magnifier. Yeah, it is pretty nice.

True Brit
02-20-2007, 6:00 PM
Back on subject...P7s with the heel release. Sweet gun, let him know where he can get a NIB for the right trade. :D

HowardW56
02-20-2007, 7:20 PM

How about a cheap 5-screw Smith & Wesson pre-model 29...

Or a 1917 .45 ACP?

I'm sure there is someone who can't wait to make me a great deal.....

ts
02-20-2007, 7:57 PM
He only wants an HK P7M8. He wants it for aprox $600-$800 bucks. Used and beat up pretty much. Thats all I am looking for.

True Brit
02-21-2007, 7:21 AM
Your friend does not want a P7M8 he wants a P7...the P7 has the heel release.

Now if he has changed his mind and does now want a P7M8 then he might want to try this guy...not sure if it is still available.

FOR SALE: HK P7 1980 manufacture. Like new. Less then 100 rounds ever fired through this weapon. Owners manual and extra magazine.
$800 firm. Contact D. Weiss elektradw@cox.net for details.

Posted: Sun, 28 Jan. 2007 Expires: Tue, 27 Feb. 2007

kalibear
02-21-2007, 7:29 AM
He only wants an HK P7M8. He wants it for aprox $600-$800 bucks. Used and beat up pretty much. Thats all I am looking for.

Try finding a used refurb M8 with the plum slide and mill mark on slide

JGarrison
02-21-2007, 7:36 AM
Try finding a used refurb M8 with the plum slide and mill mark on slide

Even those are still going for $900

GTKrockeTT
02-21-2007, 12:33 PM
and to think, those refurbs went for ~$500 in the free states.

house
02-21-2007, 3:30 PM
Can i just ask why in the world anyone would buy a new watch? i bought my wife a watch for her birthday several years ago that new retailed for over $25,000 my cost for a slightly used version with a satisfaction guarentee was $6,500

I had the watch examined by an expert that i trust and it is all correct....

who on earth would pay retail for that??? I just dont know...

STAGE 2
02-21-2007, 3:33 PM
A better question is why on earth would someone pay over 300 for a watch. At what point does it stop being a time piece and start being something that says "hey, over here, look at me!!"

ts
02-21-2007, 4:43 PM
Same reason why people buy .50 BMG guns. It's not like there going to taking out vehicles at long ranges or anything. They just get enjoyment from shooting their huge massive expensive gun. That uses extremely expensive ammo. Same reason why people buy Ferrari. Same reason why people buy a Mercedes C class over a Honda or Toyota (IMO I like the Honda and Toyota better). Simply because it makes them happy. Now, of course I am not paying retail for this watch, I am going to be paying ~30% of what it is worth. New. Thats a pretty good deal and it will make me happy.

I sent that guy an e-mail. My guy wants the P7M8, he does not want the heal release.

Thanks Guys,
Tony

kalibear
02-21-2007, 6:38 PM
I owned a Breitling Seawolf and a couple P7M8s, nothing wrong with them my tastes just constantly change and too fast for my wallet to keep up. Gotta sell to buy, you know how it is.

Right now I'm pretty happy with my custom Seikos

http://home.comcast.net/~kbug1/images/orange_crush4.jpg

My grail is a Rolex Sub with no date, I just bought a lotto ticket today :p

CALI-gula
02-21-2007, 6:57 PM
Same reason why people buy .50 BMG guns. It's not like there going to taking out vehicles at long ranges or anything. They just get enjoyment from shooting their huge massive expensive gun. That uses extremely expensive ammo. Same reason why people buy Ferrari. Same reason why people buy a Mercedes C class over a Honda or Toyota (IMO I like the Honda and Toyota better). Simply because it makes them happy. Now, of course I am not paying retail for this watch, I am going to be paying ~30% of what it is worth. New. Thats a pretty good deal and it will make me happy.

I sent that guy an e-mail. My guy wants the P7M8, he does not want the heal release.

Thanks Guys,
Tony

Well, a .50BMG rifle performs differently than a Remington BDL in .308. If you want to shoot .50BMG, you pretty much have to get a .50BMG rifle. Now a Ferrari performs differently than a Mercedes C class, Honda, or Toyota so if you want a car that performs like a Ferrari, you need to get a Ferrari (or a tuned Corvette Z06 for those that only buy American).

However, a Rolex neither indicates time or keeps time any better than a Timex. It performs no better than a Timex. Any jeweler can confirm that. And a Rolex doesn't appear all that much more fancy than a higher end Pulsar or Citizen which are a fraction of the cost. But true, if you want superficial flash on your wrist, and receipt of empty validation is important from onlookers, and keeping up with the Jones' in an exhibitionistic manner is parallel to the need for expressing success whether real or imagined, well then it has to be a Rolex - a Timex just won't cut it. A Rolex says to people, "Hey, I've made it in this world, I've accomplished great things, I am successful because of what I do, and this watch is exemplary of that accomplishment" even if not true, then yes, a Rolex is the ticket.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a nice Rolex, it's a nice thing and it's nice to have nice things - just beware to not marque your personality and composition by it. Clothes may make the man but watches do not make your time.

I have dealt with many people in the upper echelon of the corporate world who wore a Rolex - and in all cases, I have found those people to prove less than their advertisement package - the Rolex was there as a statement, but there was nothing in them to back it up. It was just a billboard for their personal marketing, a campaign device, where they used it (often pointed it out or harped on the topic of Rolex) rather than letting their actions speak for them. Actions speak louder than watches. After a while, I soon learned it was wise to hold a close observation of those that made a big deal out of their Rolex, not distrust them, but just keep watch of my time with them.

NwG
02-21-2007, 7:09 PM
CALI-gula.. Very well said... I would be a bit more harsh, but you are very well spoken..

Though this comes from a blue collar worker that pretty much dispises most white collar jobs.. Even though I earn more than most suits, you would never know by looking at me. I find it to be a real test of the true nature of the people I meet....

wintwu
02-21-2007, 9:10 PM
try checking hkpro.com

kalibear
02-22-2007, 8:16 AM
However, a Rolex neither indicates time or keeps time any better than a Timex. It performs no better than a Timex. Any jeweler can confirm that. And a Rolex doesn't appear all that much more fancy than a higher end Pulsar or Citizen which are a fraction of the cost. But true, if you want superficial flash on your wrist, and receipt of empty validation is important from onlookers, and keeping up with the Jones' in an exhibitionistic manner is parallel to the need for expressing success whether real or imagined, well then it has to be a Rolex - a Timex just won't cut it. A Rolex says to people, "Hey, I've made it in this world, I've accomplished great things, I am successful because of what I do, and this watch is exemplary of that accomplishment" even if not true, then yes, a Rolex is the ticket.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a nice Rolex, it's a nice thing and it's nice to have nice things - just beware to not marque your personality and composition by it. Clothes may make the man but watches do not make your time.

I have dealt with many people in the upper echelon of the corporate world who wore a Rolex - and in all cases, I have found those people to prove less than their advertisement package - the Rolex was there as a statement, but there was nothing in them to back it up. It was just a billboard for their personal marketing, a campaign device, where they used it (often pointed it out or harped on the topic of Rolex) rather than letting their actions speak for them. Actions speak louder than watches. After a while, I soon learned it was wise to hold a close observation of those that made a big deal out of their Rolex, not distrust them, but just keep watch of my time with them.

It is true that there are a-holes out there who wear Rolexes but I have a few friends that own them and swear by the watch. Like I said before, when I can afford one I would buy one. I know that the Rolex name has gotten a synopsis for being associated with the rich and snob or pimps and rappers who bling it. IMHO its a true classic divers watch and has been around for many years. Why do you think there are a lot of fakes out there? Some people just don't get it, its like pimping out your Honda to look like a Ferrari. I like fancy watches and most people I've met who are in the same hobby have never bragged about wearing a Rolex or flaunted it. Heck, there are people out there who drive $75k Mercedes who are real *****s and then there are others who drive a Ford Escort and don't even carry a time piece that would cut you off in the freeway and won't give 2 sh**s about it. I've seen people at the range shooting $3,000 race guns who can't hit the broadside of a barn with it yet they are glad to "show off" their piece. Just goes to show that humans will be humans and they come in all flavors. I know that the Rolex brand name boasts a lot because of the cost but to me it is just a really nice (albeit expensive) watch.

ts
02-23-2007, 1:58 AM
Well, a .50BMG rifle performs differently than a Remington BDL in .308. If you want to shoot .50BMG, you pretty much have to get a .50BMG rifle. Now a Ferrari performs differently than a Mercedes C class, Honda, or Toyota so if you want a car that performs like a Ferrari, you need to get a Ferrari (or a tuned Corvette Z06 for those that only buy American).

A Rolex does not perform like a Timex in ANY way. Ask any jeweler and he will tell you that. COMPLETELY different movements quartz vs. automatic winding for example. A Ferrari and a Honda both drive but they both drive a lot differently. The same way a Timex and a Rolex both tell time but in totally different ways. Look at this picture of a basic skeleton watch and tell me it is not an engineering marvel or yet even a piece of art.

http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/decorte/kees/watch7Alg.jpg

Here's one that's a little more complex:

http://www.2002watch.com/news/uimg/vacheron_skeleton.jpg

Since when did this turn into a watch debate?

Sam Hainn
02-23-2007, 3:32 AM
Quartz movement keeps better time. Known fact. Period. Debate over.

NYC2SoCal
02-26-2007, 8:59 PM
Quartz movement keeps better time. Known fact. Period. Debate over.

Haven't been on Calguns for a real long time.. Just decided to check in and thought the above comment was a riot!! HAHAHA!! Great point!! When it comes down to pure accuracy, quartz rocks any chrono!! I remember when I bought my first chronograph, I was like what? +/- 4 seconds a day is considered great?!?!? For a $x,xxx watch, I expected it to predict everything including day light savings time!! :D

I think CALI-gula put it the best.. It's sad what I see out here in SoCal. People drooling over what people wear, drive, etc. I once met a guy that had a Patek, drove a S500, but lived in a crap apartment.. Man, people need to live within their means. This SoCal subculture is making people broke. People that have money don't flaunt it, or care. Its all the wannabees that go broke trying to keep up.

Be real..

luvtolean
02-26-2007, 9:28 PM
A Rolex does not perform like a Timex in ANY way. Ask any jeweler and he will tell you that. COMPLETELY different movements quartz vs. automatic winding for example. A Ferrari and a Honda both drive but they both drive a lot differently.

As a person who likes watches, and is a mechanical engineer, meaning I'm more Rube Goldberg than most, I assure you, your analogy is utterly flawed.

The measure of the function of a watch is how well it keeps time. As several have mentioned, a $10 Timex digital will keep better time than a Rolex.

Take an Accord and an F430 out to WSIR and run them around for lap times, I assure you, that Accord isn't going to keep pace.

Some nice watches are marvels of engineering, but that doesn't mean they work good. It means they're stylish, and you like them for some reason other than keeping time.

Nothing wrong with that BTW, just realize you're after something other than a good working watch.

Haven't been on Calguns for a real long time.. Just decided to check in and thought the above comment was a riot!! HAHAHA!! Great point!! When it comes down to pure accuracy, quartz rocks any chrono!! I remember when I bought my first chronograph, I was like what? +/- 4 seconds a day is considered great?!?!? For a $x,xxx watch, I expected it to predict everything including day light savings time!! :D

I think CALI-gula put it the best.. It's sad what I see out here in SoCal. People drooling over what people wear, drive, etc. I once met a guy that had a Patek, drove a S500, but lived in a crap apartment.. Man, people need to live within their means. This SoCal subculture is making people broke. People that have money don't flaunt it, or care. Its all the wannabees that go broke trying to keep up.

Be real..

No kidding.