PDA

View Full Version : Walther P1/P38 vs CZ-82?

jubjubrsx
11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
I've always been a rifle guy, and kind of been itching at getting my first pistol. i've been looking at the Walther P1/P38 or a CZ-82. any advice would be great.

dotalchemy
11-01-2011, 12:09 AM
I have a P-1 and think it's great.

However, my one comment would be this. The front sight post on a P-1 is on the barrel, while the rear sights are on the slide. If the barrel doesn't line up perfect, then the sights are off.

CZ-82 doesn't have that problem.

P-1 is 9mm Luger though, which probably makes finding ammo for it in any gun store / WallyWorld significantly easier.

caldude
11-01-2011, 8:11 AM
I like my CZ82 more than the P-38, primarily because it's more comfortable in the hand, and the mag release is in the "normal" position behind the trigger, versus the heel release on the P-38. Extra mags for the CZ82 are pricey though.

hk91666
11-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I have a P-1 and think it's great.

However, my one comment would be this. The front sight post on a P-1 is on the barrel, while the rear sights are on the slide. If the barrel doesn't line up perfect, then the sights are off.

CZ-82 doesn't have that problem.

P-1 is 9mm Luger though, which probably makes finding ammo for it in any gun store / WallyWorld significantly easier.

Isn't the P1 alloy as opposed to Steel frame on P38? Any issues with that? Will you be at Vallejo on the 3rd of Dec?

dotalchemy
11-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Isn't the P1 alloy as opposed to Steel frame on P38? Any issues with that? Will you be at Vallejo on the 3rd of Dec?

All post-war P-38's and P-1's are alloy framed instead of steel framed, thus all P-1's are while some P-38's are.

There was some stress fractures on alloy frames at one point, although they added a hex pin through the frame to give it additional strength.

And yes, probably :) Having just ordered an M44, I need more ammo :) See you there?

HskrVern
11-01-2011, 2:38 PM
I like my CZ82 more than the P-38, primarily because it's more comfortable in the hand, and the mag release is in the "normal" position behind the trigger, versus the heel release on the P-38. Extra mags for the CZ82 are pricey though.

That's a drawback of all Cz pistols. Hell my Cz75 compact 40 mags are 40-50 bucks a pop.

dogfood
11-01-2011, 4:02 PM
those are the two pistols i own (just recently acquired both actually)
if i had to part with one i think it would be the p1. don't get me wrong i love my it but they cz-82 is just out of this world.
cz-82 fits in my hand better- the p1 grips are too skinny for my liking, single stack unlike the cz-82
another point is smoothness of the cz's action is beyond compare (and it was made in a combloc country to boot),
however, i should note that i got tho two pistols for different reasons, while they are both cold war pistols, i got my p1 for novelty's sake and the cz-82 to be more of an all around shooter.
as far as price goes i got my cz-82 from gunbroker and with the various fees piled atop the original price of $180 it came out to $270 total and the p1 was $355 at turner's after it was all said and done
9x18 and 9x19 are only comparably prices online
good luck in your search