PDA

View Full Version : HAM training/licensing

kablooie
10-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I tried the self-study/online method and do not have time in the day to keep this up... Anyone know of any training for licensing going on in the Southern CA... more specifically the 310 area code.
TIA,
Louie

XYZ
10-31-2011, 3:18 PM
One option is to look for a place that offers a ham cram. It will be on a Saturday, study the question pool for 8 hours and then take the test. I went the normal route of studying but I heard this has been an effective method if you have time constraints.

mej16489
10-31-2011, 3:30 PM
Another option is to repetitively take online sample tests. Do one test a day for a couple weeks and you will likely have essentially memorized all the answers for the entire question pool.

The huge downside (in my opinion) to this, or any cram method, is that you don't really learn much - you simply qualify to get a license.

snafu510
10-31-2011, 3:36 PM
I did a ham cram about a year ago and it was easy. I also studied a lot on line and with books before that and I still have forgotten a lot of it. I think that's mostly because I don't use what I learned. I have a radio but I never use it. Sometimes I listen to the noon net. Mostly I bought it to take to remote places in case I have an emergency and I can't get a cell signal. I program in the repeaters and common use frequencies where I'm headed before I go.

LEO
10-31-2011, 3:39 PM
Look for a local Class at arrl.org
I went on line to hamwhisperer.com and then to Ham Courses and passed the technician exam . The Lessons and Quiz are about 15 min Ea. After the Quiz go to Exam Answers
to check your answers. the First Level is very easy.

GlockBlocker
10-31-2011, 3:48 PM
What self study did you do? I can't see how classes could be faster than the online sites that "teach" you to memorize questions.

I started studying 3 days before testing successfully for my technical & general. I used these guys: http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

If you study this way though, use caution because just because you passed the test easily doesn't mean you know all about what they really thought you should know. Continue learning while you enjoy the hobby. Good luck!

kablooie
10-31-2011, 9:17 PM
What self study did you do? I can't see how classes could be faster than the online sites that "teach" you to memorize questions.

www.hamtestonline.com is what i was using and was doing it every free moment i had... but my work and family have gotten the best of me and any free time is either overtime or of family time now. it seems like if i can set aside a day or two with blocks of time to prep it would do me better and then i could test.

gunafficionado
10-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Ham Cram....it works!!

Markinsac
10-31-2011, 11:35 PM
The ARRL has a study book for the Technician level. If you read about 15-20 minutes a night until done (probably 2 to 3 weeks), you'll have the basic knowledge for that level.

For online test preparation, I recommend: http://aa9pw.com/

When you finish the test, it not only grades the raw score, but each of the sub-elements that are to be tested. It will give you a good idea of where you might need additional study.

TrailerparkTrash
11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I second paying and using " http://www.hamtestonline.com " It really works. My 4th grade son did it and he's now a ham.

_ _ 6_ _
Extra Class operator, DXer and VE. :43::43::43:

ADAM
11-01-2011, 7:13 AM
I second paying and using " http://www.hamtestonline.com " It really works. My 4th grade son did it and he's now a ham.

_ _ 6_ _
Extra Class operator, DXer and VE. :43::43::43:

I agree it worked for me 73

xrMike
11-01-2011, 10:06 AM
One option is to look for a place that offers a ham cram. It will be on a Saturday, study the question pool for 8 hours and then take the test.

I agree with the "ham cram" method. Worked for me. I missed one question on the test, and the class only took from 9am - 3pm, with a lunch break thrown in there too. Contact your local ARES chapter. If they don't offer it, they can refer you to the nearest one.

q3131a
11-01-2011, 5:30 PM
A book that I would recommend is the one by Gordon West, WB6NOA. He has a book/ study guide for each license level.

Ironmany2k
11-03-2011, 2:27 PM
Find a local class in your area:

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

DiscoBayJoe
11-03-2011, 2:51 PM
I did my general via a ham cram, passed 100%. It's the way to go if you can't sit still on your own and read the question pool.

<THREADJACK>
On a side note, I just ordered one of these yesterday:

Cheap Chinese Handheld Radio (http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=106298)

I heard a guy with one of these on the scanner yesterday and it sounded good. At $45.80 i couldn't pass it up... And they even had Camo!

</THREADJACK>

cranemech
11-03-2011, 3:31 PM
There are hamcrams in Modesto and Tracy on 11/12/11.
I plan on attending the one in Modesto.

Paltik
11-04-2011, 4:37 PM
Wow, that cheap Chinese HT you linked is half the price of my cheap Chinese HT--cheap enough to stockpile 'em in BOB's, 72 hour kits, vehicle trunks, etc.

kablooie
11-04-2011, 5:10 PM
<THREADJACK>
On a side note, I just ordered one of these yesterday:

Cheap Chinese Handheld Radio (http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=106298)

I heard a guy with one of these on the scanner yesterday and it sounded good. At $45.80 i couldn't pass it up... And they even had Camo!

</THREADJACK>

Wow, that cheap Chinese HT you linked is half the price of my cheap Chinese HT--cheap enough to stockpile 'em in BOB's, 72 hour kits, vehicle trunks, etc.

what's the range on two people talking on these together?

TrailerparkTrash
11-04-2011, 5:31 PM
what's the range on two people talking on these together?

It's like any other VHF, UHF communicator with 4 or 5 watts and a piece o garbage "rubber duck" antenna. Line of sight if you're talking "simplex" operation. If you use a mountain top repeater (semi-duplex operation), then your signal is carried further. If the repeater is linked to other repeaters, even further. If your repeater is linked to the internet via "IRLP," then around the world, depending on where the control operator has the "link" connected to.

If you want "around the world" or "across the country" real "two-way" radio (simplex) communication, you need to buy an "HF" (high frequency) radio which is 30Mhz and below. Those are the radios you typically see with an antenna the size of Mt. Everast over someone's house. Those radio frequencies tend to skip through certain layers in the atmosphere and back down to earth, thus making it possible to communicate great distances. All without the help of the "internet." To be able to operate on 99% of the "HF" airwaves in "voice" communication, one needs to study harder and move up from the basic ham radio license (Technician class) to the more advanced "General class" operator. To move up with ALL ham radio privledges, one needs the hard "Extra class" operators license. The study book is very intense and requires math/electronics knowledge to pass. It's pretty tough.

DiscoBayJoe
11-04-2011, 8:04 PM
the guy I heard on the scanner sounded great. He said it was better than his Wouxun (I have one of those too). If it's even on par, i'll be happy.

Besides the funky menus, the only issue I have with the Wouxun is that it's battery doesn't hold up well. I'd like to get a AA holder for these for emergencies.