PDA

View Full Version : Socom 16

WINGEDSWORD
02-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Has anyone had extensive experience with the Socom 16? I have an M1A1
Bush rifle by Springfield Armory. It wears a Leupold 3x9 Matte and shoots very well. But at a recent show, A Southern California Dealer/builder was badmouthing late model SA's. I am skeptical, because I'm not sure if he was truthful or just trying to sell his MUCH more expensive custom builds.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
I have a SOCOM 16, bought new at the end of '06, through Wes at TPF. I love it. I've got about 100 rounds through it so far, and it's performed flawlessly. Loud as hell, big flash out of the muzzle brake, but not too bad in the recoil department and quite accurate. I put the Aimpoint Comp ML3 on it, just like they show in the ad, and alternate bewteen it and the irons (it has to come off to use the irons - no way to co-witness even mounted way down low) and have nothing but nice things to say about it. Not cheap by any means, but worth the price of admission.

+1 on the SOCOM 16 :)

soopafly
02-17-2007, 9:56 PM
I have a SOCOM16 with the Aimpoint mounted on a KAC M14 rail. The only problems I've had were related to the crappy $10 Cheaper Than Dirt M1A mags. What a waste of money. I bought CMI mags and it's been trouble free ever since.

jdberger
02-17-2007, 10:02 PM
I have a SOCOM 16, bought new at the end of '06, through Wes at TPF. .... I put the Aimpoint Comp ML3 on it, just like they show in the ad, and alternate bewteen it and the irons (it has to come off to use the irons - no way to co-witness even mounted way down low) and have nothing but nice things to say about it. ...
+1 on the SOCOM 16 :)

Since the mount for the scope is on the barrel, have you had any issues with heat transfer to the Aimpoint?

Also, is the scope mount steel or aluminum? And are you having any issues with a wandering POA when the barrel heats up?

Warning....thread veer....

KIDRR
02-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I have the 16 and it's a solid gun. The only bad thing is that it's heavy as hell

capitol
02-18-2007, 7:55 AM
are you having any issues with a wandering POA when the barrel heats up?

First, I really enjoy shooting my SA Socom. Its about three years old. The rifle does what it's designed for very well.

On mine the POA does change once the barrel is hot. It goes about 8" high to the right once my barrel is cooking.

TonyM
02-18-2007, 9:01 AM
First, I really enjoy shooting my SA Socom. Its about three years old. The rifle does what it's designed for very well.

On mine the POA does change once the barrel is hot. It goes about 8" high to the right once my barrel is cooking.

About the same results here.

I love the irons on the M1A's anyway, and since it's a short rifle, I removed my Aimpoint and just stick to the irons. I bought a vented handguard for it, just need to remember to take the rail off the barrel so I can put it on.

Omega13device
02-18-2007, 9:25 AM
Some people have had problems with their SA M1As, it's true, but no one has ever produced any data to show that their defect rate is any worse than any other manufacturer's. Plus they have a decent service department to fix any problems and if you buy it new, you get a lifetime warranty. So buy with confidence and enjoy your rifle.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-18-2007, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=jdberger]Since the mount for the scope is on the barrel, have you had any issues with heat transfer to the Aimpoint?

And are you having any issues with a wandering POA when the barrel heats up?

Since the .308/7.62 ammo ain't cheap, I tend not to burn through that many rounds at a crack (I do that with the .223 in my Stags :D ), so I don't know what might happen if you run two or three mags full through it in quick succession. I tend to shoot a ten round mag, reload it, repeat. I've got three more mags for it, but haven't yet had the urge to let loose with 40 rounds in rapid fire mode! :) I will. Just haven't yet!

Also, is the scope mount steel or aluminum?

It seems to be aluminum, because it doesn't want to hold a magnet to it, but it's very heavy gauge, whatever it is.

WINGEDSWORD
02-18-2007, 2:16 PM
Although I am happy with my bush rifle, I served as an officer in Viet Nam. The Socom 16 is as close as I can get to What my armorer did to an M-14E-2
after I expressed my displeasure with The "poodle shooter" I was issued.(XM-177E2) He cut the barrel off even with the gas cylinder, Refitted the flash suppressor and muzzle brake and put in a standard stock. Great Rifle! I kept the XM around for "official visits" but carried the M-14 in action. As soon as I get enough posts up, I intend to search the forums for some one who wants to do some trading!

madjack956
02-18-2007, 4:40 PM
I built one from USGI parts and my best friend bought one new from SA INC.

We go shooting together alot, and have used our guns about the same amount of time and about the same round count. We like to whack clay pigeons at about the 214 yd. mark. Both guns have performed just fine. As a matter of fact we switch off every now and then, because he has an Aimpoint on his and I just use the irons. Other than my trigger having been worked, I don't see any difference between the two.

The next time I go, I will shoot at 100, which it is zeroed at, and after I am done blowing away the pigeons at the 214 mark, I will go back to 100yds. to see if my zero has changed with the heat as the previous poster has claimed.

Eight inches is a bunch, and would freak me out.:eek:

mike100
02-18-2007, 5:05 PM
I have one and the only problem I ever had was with the factory 10 rounder that came with it 1st round gets in front of the extractor claw due to cheap metal on mag bending. the cdnn $14 10 rounders are great. I can't rememeber the last time I shot it..maybe 9 months ago. It's ok, certainly the trigger and action are sweet when I pick it up after shooting clunky milsurps, but I don't think I'm going to shoot it anymore until I rebarrel it to 18 inches and maybe get a usgi bolt and roller for it.