PDA

View Full Version : crabbing in the bay area?

marlon671
02-16-2007, 9:59 PM
my friends and i go crabbing off a man made pier in san francisco. is there any restrictions beside the dreaded "do not catch dunganese crabs" rule? and is there a special type of fishing license needed?

Rumpled
02-16-2007, 10:38 PM
There is no license required off a man made pier in Ocean Waters. You must follow all other regulations, seasons and limits. Google CA DFG and look them up.

blackberg
02-16-2007, 11:59 PM
pierfishing.com is your friend:)

marlon671
02-17-2007, 7:52 AM
thanks for the replies. will get off the ar15 boards and start my crab research. :D

JamesY
02-17-2007, 7:52 AM
pierfishing.com is your friend:)

+1.

You can catch Dungies right now, but not in the Bay. You can go to Pacifica and catch them (must be 5.75in or up). You can keep 10/day and use a combo of 2 poles or crab nets. Most regulars use snares which you can buy from someone on the pier for $5. And that includes weights! No license required as long as you stay on the pier. I like to use salmon head, squid, chicken and mackerel for crab bait. Also, a little bit of anchovy jelly will help. Just don't get it on your finger or it'll stink for DAYS!

Post pics if you go! I haven't gone in a while, but I hear last week they were catching 2-5 dungies and 5-8 rock crabs (I don't keep the rock crabs. They just look nasty) per person using snares. Nets weren't as productive. GOOD LUCK!

marlon671
02-17-2007, 8:51 AM
+1.

You can catch Dungies right now, but not in the Bay. You can go to Pacifica and catch them (must be 5.75in or up). You can keep 10/day and use a combo of 2 poles or crab nets. Most regulars use snares which you can buy from someone on the pier for $5. And that includes weights! No license required as long as you stay on the pier. I like to use salmon head, squid, chicken and mackerel for crab bait. Also, a little bit of anchovy jelly will help. Just don't get it on your finger or it'll stink for DAYS!

Post pics if you go! I haven't gone in a while, but I hear last week they were catching 2-5 dungies and 5-8 rock crabs (I don't keep the rock crabs. They just look nasty) per person using snares. Nets weren't as productive. GOOD LUCK!

thanks.... i have pics from previous crab ventures. ill try to steal it from the gf's camera.

PistolPete75
02-17-2007, 8:36 PM
yumm. crab sounds real good right now.

Kharam Razul
02-17-2007, 9:29 PM
Dang'it!:mad: And I'm allergic to crab (it was my favorite sea food, until).... but not lobsters.... go figure

marlon671
02-18-2007, 8:02 AM
Dang'it!:mad: And I'm allergic to crab (it was my favorite sea food, until).... but not lobsters.... go figure

my gf is allergic to calamari, but she still eats it till her tongue itches!!!

like they say, what taste good is prolly bad for u! crab is my friend.... :D
lobster too but my wallet hates em...

tworotorturbo
02-18-2007, 8:03 AM
I used to go off the Muni pier in SF. Very good catches ut the sea lion/seals would always jump in my net. You had this same problem?

marlon671
02-18-2007, 3:47 PM
I used to go off the Muni pier in SF. Very good catches ut the sea lion/seals would always jump in my net. You had this same problem?

yup. my friend and i almost pulled one on deck because it got caught in our crab net.... it almost seems like they are taunting u or laughing at u after they take ur bait. too bad my ar15 strapped with an aimpoint will land me in jail! :eek: i dont have the heart to kill em anywaise, id just scare em off with the blast... same with those damn seagulls!!! hehehe... im actually goin out tonite with my brothers. ill post pics if everything works out.

btw. bait cages and tie straps works wonders....

Powersauce
02-18-2007, 7:16 PM
Thanks Marlon for posting this question...I was just about to post this...
I've usually got to the Muni Pier as well but havn't gotten much luck there either..
I used to go off the Muni pier in SF. Very good catches ut the sea lion/seals would always jump in my net. You had this same problem?Last time i went one of them broke open my METAL bait cage. So I want to try another location. Any recommendations?

dwtt
02-18-2007, 7:39 PM
Is it safe to eat any fish or crab caught in the SF bay? I used to catch crabs off the waterfront in the 1970's as a very young kid with my brothers but remember several years ago there was a warning put out about eating fish caught in the bay. Anyway, have fun, we sure did back then before they rebuilt Peir 39 and the rest of the waterfront into a gaudy tourist trap.

tworotorturbo
02-18-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.sfei.org/rmp/reports/Seafood_consumption/FishGen_Apr2001.pdf

This study is a few years old, but try not to eat more than two servings a month. Scary.

Is it safe to eat any fish or crab caught in the SF bay? I used to catch crabs off the waterfront in the 1970's as a very young kid with my brothers but remember several years ago there was a warning put out about eating fish caught in the bay. Anyway, have fun, we sure did back then before they rebuilt Peir 39 and the rest of the waterfront into a gaudy tourist trap.

VeryCoolCat
02-19-2007, 6:53 PM
Fish/Crabs off california piers are subject to polution... particularly mercury. So don't try to live off the stuff.

Most of the stuff in San Francisco that goes into the gutters gets thrown into the bay. Also stay away from fishing off the santa monica pier in socal... theres a nuclear power plant there.

Your best bet are man made lakes with farm raised fish. I know (so.cal) that anaheim lake you can catch your max (10-14 full sized fish) by the end of the day.

A friend of a friend of mine once told me in malibu ages ago... they had those small clawless lobsters that would get caught in the little rocky pools.... and they would pick em up and cook em.

Chris M
03-02-2007, 3:10 PM
In the bay area, there's no license needed for piers west of the Benicia bridge. If you don't have a license, you'll have to catch and land your fish/crab from the pier. Don't walk it to the shore to land it or you risk getting a ticket.

East of the Benicia bridge, you'll need a license even to fish from a pier.

battlehatch
03-02-2007, 3:17 PM
I dunno if you're willing to make the drive but Doran beach on Hwy. 1 west of Petaluma is a great place and you can do it for free off the jetty. You can have up to 2 pots in the water per person, or a pot and a pole if you want to rock fish. Best part is that it doesn't require a licence off the jetty. I forgot the limit, but we have taken home a cooler full of rockers with a couple MALE dungies... Good stuff.