PDA

View Full Version : Cosignment sale

chino
10-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Are consignment prices set or are they negotiable? Does the store manager have any influence? I asked at the Reseda store a few months back and I was told no.
Thanks

LBDamned
10-31-2011, 5:53 AM
I was wondering the same thing and also if I were going to sell one..how does that work? A percentage is taken from the sale or upfront? If so, how much?
Thanks

I was told by Signal Hill that they take 25%... the store manager and original owner agree to set price (which of course is going to be a reasonable price since turners doesn't want the gun sitting around forever).

So its not likely that gun owner is going to agree to a haggled price.

Psykoasn
10-31-2011, 8:14 AM
:iagree:

you should be able to haggle a little, when i was there yesterday, i over heard that they will only hold onto it for 30 day's, and after that they will call the original owner, and let them know if there is an offer lower then there asking price, or if they want to lower the price or to come pick it up

Ed_Hazard
10-31-2011, 9:43 AM
You can allways make a lower offer on consignment guns, I have in the past, and the store will pass the info along. Remember the store wants to move the gun as much as you want to buy it.

Just remember as has been said, they (seller) are allready taking a 25% hit on the listed price, so they may not be yet motivated to wheel and deal.

Turner's Outdoorsman
10-31-2011, 11:38 AM
I was told by Signal Hill that they take 25%... the store manager and original owner agree to set price (which of course is going to be a reasonable price since turners doesn't want the gun sitting around forever).

So its not likely that gun owner is going to agree to a haggled price.

Yep; 25% consignment fee on the selling price which the seller and Turner's agree to.

you should be able to haggle a little, when i was there yesterday, i over heard that they will only hold onto it for 30 day's, and after that they will call the original owner, and let them know if there is an offer lower then there asking price, or if they want to lower the price or to come pick it up

Depending on the gun (and even the store) guns that are in stock for longer than 30 days are taking up some valuable space. So the consignee can re-evaluate their price or pick it up. Higher end guns or unique guns can stick around a bit longer- we understand that they take a little longer for them to move.

You can allways make a lower offer on consignment guns, I have in the past, and the store will pass the info along. Remember the store wants to move the gun as much as you want to buy it.

Just remember as has been said, they (seller) are allready taking a 25% hit on the listed price, so they may not be yet motivated to wheel and deal.

There is always a balance. Some folks don't want to hassle with finding a private buyer and they aren't in a hurry to sell. Other folks are in a tighter spot for money but neither a PPT nor an outright sell are right for them, so they'll consign their gun but do it a little softer than market.

Bottom line- it never hurts to ask us to contact the consignee and see if they take a lower offer. In fact some people want to overprice their gun expecting to get a counter-offer but we dissuade them from doing so when that inflated price ends up within 5 or 10% of a new gun.

dtjester
10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Are the consignment guns on the website ALL of the consignment guns you have? Or is that just a few of them and the actual store might have more?

Turner's Outdoorsman
11-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Are the consignment guns on the website ALL of the consignment guns you have? Or is that just a few of them and the actual store might have more?

Given the high turnover of sold and newly arrived guns, we generally have more guns than are listed online.

We are moving towards "100% online/100% with pictures" but it's a work in progress.

Some guns move before they hit the online rack, while it seems that others are sold just after the managers get them listed and pictures taken.

While we'd like to manage it nearly real-time, they'll always be some lag. You should always confirm by phone if there's something you're interested in. Likewise, you're likely to find more on the shelf or on the rack once you're in one of the stores.

dtjester
11-01-2011, 5:25 PM
Given the high turnover of sold and newly arrived guns, we generally have more guns than are listed online.

We are moving towards "100% online/100% with pictures" but it's a work in progress.

Some guns move before they hit the online rack, while it seems that others are sold just after the managers get them listed and pictures taken.

While we'd like to manage it nearly real-time, they'll always be some lag. You should always confirm by phone if there's something you're interested in. Likewise, you're likely to find more on the shelf or on the rack once you're in one of the stores.

I suspected this was the case, thanks for clarifying

M1NM
11-05-2011, 3:05 PM
I've got a few guns I wanted to sell but not at 25%. They don't have that much time in a sale to justify the cost. If they'd make it a flat fee $100-150 I'd be a player. Cheapest gun I'd be selling would be 400-500 up to 1500-2000. Think I'll start on GunBroker.com and do the private person shipped to buyers FFL as prescribed in the BATF rules.

choprzrul
11-05-2011, 3:43 PM
I just tell Lee @ The Outdoorsman how much I want and that anything above the amount is his. I just do my due dilligence to find a fair prie ahead of time. If it sits several weeks without moving, I will either pick it up or lower my price.

Turner's Outdoorsman
11-06-2011, 9:39 AM
I've got a few guns I wanted to sell but not at 25%. They don't have that much time in a sale to justify the cost...

Not exactly. Consignments take more ppw and time on the front side of the sale. At the sales end of things, consignment (and used gun) sales involve more time since the buyer will be more thorough in going over the gun.

I just tell Lee @ The Outdoorsman how much I want and that anything above the amount is his. I just do my due dilligence to find a fair prie ahead of time. If it sits several weeks without moving, I will either pick it up or lower my price.

Consignment guns can be seen by upward of 1,000 cusotmers/week in our stores; more folks than that can browse them online. If they are priced right, they'll move.

If not, we'll want to see them repriced or picked up. It's not unusual for us to have more guns than our racks or cases can accommodate, so slow moving guns are culled whenever we need the room.