PDA

View Full Version : CA Legal Fal at Turners!

Prc329
02-16-2007, 9:36 PM
I'm at turners in Signal hill to buy a Para PXT LTC I have been eyeing for the last couple of weeks. I walk toward the cabinet with 1911 in it when something on the shelf caught my eye. It had a pistol grip that looked weird. Then I took a double take and it was a DSA Fal. I never seen one in there before so it threw me off.

Good looking piece but I didn't have $1600 to spend.

Maddog5150
02-16-2007, 9:49 PM
I was thinking of buying one but then someone told me how you can build your own for cheap. Im sure home builds arnt as nice but thats still 1600 bucks! Plus those DSA FALs have a chunk of metal welded where the mag release so you cant convert it back without some major grindage :(

fal_762x51
02-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Homebuilds turn out beautiful, great experience, and the satisfaction of being part of WESCOG.

azn_wrx
02-17-2007, 2:14 AM
Man....$1600 is a lot. I wouldnt want all that profit going to Turners. Im sure the charge to have someone else assemble you one wouldnt come nearly as much.

-hanko
02-17-2007, 7:32 AM
I was thinking of buying one but then someone told me how you can build your own for cheap. Im sure home builds arnt as nice but thats still 1600 bucks! Plus those DSA FALs have a chunk of metal welded where the mag release so you cant convert it back without some major grindage :(
MANY diy guns easily surpass DSA. Do a little digging on the images forum on the fal files;)

The fal community (at least as typified on the fal files) is the most tightly-knit and helpful group on the www. Most difficult decision is which variation you'd like to build. Once you figure that out, you can still diy for WELL under what DSA asks, and have a prk-compliant weapon. Patience is major when you're doing an fal. If you need instant gratification, buy a finished gun from a reputable smith, or assemble an AR.

-hanko

rorschach
02-17-2007, 5:45 PM
Turners has had the DSA's for a while now. Well, Norwalk has anyway...

stuckin
02-17-2007, 6:13 PM
dsa makes great guns. just not sure about the CA legal one. would hate to move out of state and have people lol at me when shooting
stuck

Incitatus
02-17-2007, 7:22 PM
Yesterday at Turners I saw another DSA model for $1200, with bipod. It was on display at the Norwalk store.
They also had the $1600 model without carring handle and bipod, but with a type 1 receiver and flutted barrel.
I looked closely at both and there is no mag weld; there is a pin fixing the mag release, easy to reverse if you move out of PRK.

nic
02-17-2007, 7:35 PM
What I was thinking COULD be an interesting project would be to get one of those old FAL thumbhole stocks and fill it in. That way you don't have to worry about pinning the magazine at all.
Right? No thumbhole, no PG, good for semi-auto and detach. mags in CA?

dfletcher
02-17-2007, 7:42 PM
Actually it takes about 1 hr of careful filing to remove the little spot weld on the mag release cutout in the e-block. No problem at all, I'm a 1st time FAL owner & it was easy. I use the allen screw through the mag release to lock it up when in state. I'm headed up to OR with 20 & 30 round mags & a standard mag release. I doubt anyone up there will be laughing at me & my FAL - at least not until they check my targets anyway.

Maddog5150
02-18-2007, 7:12 PM
Yesterday at Turners I saw another DSA model for $1200, with bipod. It was on display at the Norwalk store.
They also had the $1600 model without carring handle and bipod, but with a type 1 receiver and flutted barrel.
I looked closely at both and there is no mag weld; there is a pin fixing the mag release, easy to reverse if you move out of PRK.

Heh, you didnt look carefully enough. like unscrew the pin and drop the assembly out, then look at the area that the end of the mag release is at next the top of the mag ;)

Sam Hainn
02-18-2007, 7:32 PM
How come some Turners get the DSA Fals but not others? I often hear they're at Norwalk or Riverside but never see them at West Covina, Pasadena, Resda or Redondo. Are some Turners run differently due to manager choices? :confused:

smle-man
02-18-2007, 8:10 PM
How come some Turners get the DSA Fals but not others? I often hear they're at Norwalk or Riverside but never see them at West Covina, Pasadena, Resda or Redondo. Are some Turners run differently due to manager choices? :confused:

I bought my DSA tactical carbine at the Pasadena store last April. Theyv'e dropped the price on them since I bought mine, I paid $1,800 for it, now they are $1,600.

ARFAN
02-19-2007, 1:00 AM
I bought a grey wolf at turner over 2k. Three months after that, I bought a part kits and sent to CWG for Rich to build one for me. It turned out was cheaper and better in my custom rifle.:D

FormerLaCrescentan
02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I built mine as a first timer with only the help of WESCOG, a barrel vise from Calientas at FAL Files, a gas tube wrench, and some small tools. Granted I didn't have to make it Caliornia legal, but she turned out perfect.

triggerhappy
02-19-2007, 2:17 PM
Soooo. You all are saying that it is feasibly within the realm of possibility, actually could happen that someone like me could get a legal FAL? In the PRK, even?

Thanks for starting this thread. I was seriously looking at the M1A, but this definitely changes things. Of course, I'll still want the M1, lol

Too cool! :)

SemiAutoSam
02-19-2007, 2:22 PM
Would you rather have a M1A or a real HK or Real FN FAL ? also keep in mind 1022 in the house.
Get what you want now as who knows if this thing passes all bets might be off as far as getting what you want later.

Soooo. You all are saying that it is feasibly within the realm of possibility, actually could happen that someone like me could get a legal FAL? In the PRK, even?

Thanks for starting this thread. I was seriously looking at the M1A, but this definitely changes things. Of course, I'll still want the M1, lol

Too cool! :)

triggerhappy
02-19-2007, 2:25 PM
Sam, I love the way you think. One of each! You bring up a great point, too. Somehow, some way, I haven't gotten the obligatory 10/22 yet. I did, at one time, but not now. I' going to have to change that. Ya just can't beat the price of ammo for a .22!

SemiAutoSam
02-19-2007, 2:41 PM
I meant the new AWB in the House of representatives HR1022 the bill #
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49202
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

There are a few of the FN FAL's on various gun sales and auction boards and the HK41 is a excellent rifle I bought mine about a month ago for 3K and bought a SIG 510 a very rare but excellent rifle, and now I think ill buy another 10/22 thanks for reminding me.

Yes a 1022 is a must have rifle its what I plan to train my 5 year old son on that is if my wife wont shoot me with my own gun when I attempt to teach him.

Sam, I love the way you think. One of each! You bring up a great point, too. Somehow, some way, I haven't gotten the obligatory 10/22 yet. I did, at one time, but not now. I' going to have to change that. Ya just can't beat the price of ammo for a .22!

-hanko
02-19-2007, 2:49 PM
I saw those at Turner's, too. Very nice rifles, but the price is a bit much. You could build a sweet 223. OLL rifle for almost half the price.
Ignoring Turner's price, both the fal and ar are great rifles. Just depends on how you'll be using them.

-hanko

triggerhappy
02-19-2007, 9:46 PM
I meant the new AWB in the House of representatives HR1022 the bill #
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49202
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

LOL! I thought you meant in MY house! I was just too happy to learn I could get the FAL! My sincere joy sped right past my thinking ability!

Watch ou for the wife, though! I just had a thought. Maybe you could take her with you to teach the young'n. Liken this to his first steps, she may be enthusiastic. I hope so. That'd be great for everyone involved:)