PDA

View Full Version : Socom 16 range question

jojojones
02-16-2007, 9:08 PM
I mainly shoot pistol. When I have shot rifle it has been bolt actions through a scope, chiefly sighting in for hunting purposes. I have an OLL that I shoot with iron sights (only about 1500 rnds or so) but wanted a .308 and was looking at the Socom 16, not the Socom II (them rails is heavy). I was wondering with limited rifle experience what would be a reasonable group at 500 yds or so. More specific to what I am looking to find out is what are the upper limits of the rifle. Is it still a 1000yard gun, like the longer barreled M1a's, or does the shorter barrel really shorten the range? Do the groups really start to open up at longer distances compared to a full rifle barrel? Just looking for some thoughts on the matter and any advice you might have.

I like the way the rifle feels and handles better then the longer versions and I am not really interested in an AR-10 type rifle.

Thanks

jojo

STAGE 2
02-16-2007, 10:44 PM
If you're just shooting through irons, the issue isn't going to be the performance of the gun but your eyes. At that distance the front sight is probably going to cover the entire target. I would think keeping it on the paper would be a feat in itself.

Maddog5150
02-16-2007, 11:03 PM
I have a SOCOM and love it but I wish I went with the scout for the same reasons Stage2 said. You can change your front sight out though if you dont mind losing the tritium.

randy
02-17-2007, 1:08 AM
I think you loose a bit too much velocity with the 16" barrel and the front site is pretty thick. I think those two factors will make long range shots more difficult than a scout or 22".

Heavy Metal pump at SMM3G was won the at least 2 out of the last 3 years with a 22" M1A.

toymonger
02-17-2007, 2:18 AM
I just purchased the Socom 16 because I enjoyed shooting a friend's so much. He has an Eotech sight which is what I plan to add. I hope to shoot from close range to 300 yards. But I am also interested in other peoples experiences, how far is reasonable with the short barrel and an Eotech?

mblat
02-17-2007, 8:38 AM
I just purchased the Socom 16 because I enjoyed shooting a friend's so much. He has an Eotech sight which is what I plan to add. I hope to shoot from close range to 300 yards. But I am also interested in other peoples experiences, how far is reasonable with the short barrel and an Eotech?

Makes a beartofull combo that is fun to shoot. I have setup like this almost. I had SOCOMII and because rails were too heavy for me I changed them with ULTIMAK hand guard. Mounted eotech on the top. That made one fun combo.
Up to 300 yards should really be no problem, but my eyes (and skill level) don't allow me to shoot any further.

Omega13device
02-17-2007, 9:24 AM
Whether the groups open up at 1000 yds compared to the full-size is probably more a function of things like barrel manufacturer, quality of installation, stock, sights/optics, etc. The length by itself is not much of a factor compared to those other items.

If you're going to compete at 1000 yd shooting this is probably the wrong rifle, but if you just want to see if you can do it, then why not?

donger
02-17-2007, 10:10 AM
A standard M1A will not reach 1000 yards accurately. Unfortunately, the 7.62x51 cartridge loses too much velocity after 800 yards for accurate hits beyond that range.

Cut 6" off of the standard (like a Socom, and you will lose some distance. I would surmise that the upper limit of the Socom would be around 600 yards.

Mael
02-17-2007, 6:51 PM
I've had a SOCOM 16 for about 2+ years. I really enjoy the rifle. I've outfitted mine with a Cali Sage EBR stock and has been extremely reliable. I would not however buy this rifle for engaging targets beyond 200 yards. I'm not saying that you can't hit anything beyond 200 yards, you can. The rifle is really designed as a close quarters combat weapon. From my own experience, you will be lucky to hold a 30" group at 500 yards shooting from the bench. Now maybe that's just me or my rifle, but that's what I have experienced.