View Full Version : First time to a public range with my OLL. Big +1

02-16-2007, 6:35 PM
I have been lurking here for a while and haven't posted. I generally shoot on a friend's private ranch, but recently had some friends in town from Ireland that wanted to go shooting. I didn't have the time to go out to the ranch, so I checked here for an OLL friendly range.

I got the indication that Iron Sights in Oceanside was okay, so I went there with my OLL in 458 SOCOM and an SU-16.

Absolutely great place and no problems whatsoever. I let one of the guys working there shoot it, and I got taken good care of at checkout.

So, for my first post here, I figured I'd throw a compliment to Iron Sights in Oceanside for shooting an OLL, and yes, a 458 SOCOM indoors is loud.

02-16-2007, 6:50 PM
Man, you had to go when I wasn't around to check it out? Bah.

BTW, did the guy make any comparisons to a Beowulf? I'm curious to know how they stacked up, and I did let the IS crew try out my Beowulf last time I was in.

02-16-2007, 7:04 PM
didn't mention it, but I was thinking of going tomorrow of sunday after I hit the gunshow, if you want to coordinate to try to rattle the paint off the walls.

02-16-2007, 7:25 PM
I have one- kicks like one would imagine a 6 pound rifle would when throwing 3300 ft/lbs out there. Accuracy is very impressive. 2" at 200 yds, till my nerves got shaky after about 10 rounds. I have 2 cases of ammo I don't need cause I'm reloading for it- hollar if you need some
For the guy who has everything else, or a professional on an entry team- get one. Raw unembellished and unmistakeable power.

02-16-2007, 7:55 PM
Thanks, I reload only now too. That is why I am willing to pass it around at the range. If I was paying $3 a round, I would hang a sign on it, "no, it isn't a 5.56, no, you can't shoot it" As is though, I pass it around and get a kick out of watching others blast with it.

02-16-2007, 9:17 PM
I love Iron Sights, Be neat to have a little calguns meet there some time, I was thinking about going down there Saturday or Sunday with my U-15 oll and my Bullet Button oll if anyone was wondering how either of those handled.

Pick a time and date and I'll be there :)

02-16-2007, 9:26 PM
I'm going there Monday, 7:30pm, for my usual range run.

I'll be bringing along my typical gaggle of dot-com employees and various other IT geeks, as well as my "coffin". If you're there when I'm there, I'll probably be easy enough to spot.

02-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Haha right on, I'll definitely come by and say hello.

"coffin" ? How many guns do you bring with you !

02-17-2007, 6:01 PM
I'll be there about 10-11 am, depends on how much I drink tonight :) I'll just be bringing the 458, the SU-16 and a couple of pistols. Just listen for the boom and the guy picking up his brass.

02-17-2007, 7:36 PM
On what day? I'd love to see that 458 shoot

02-17-2007, 8:42 PM
I'll be there tomorrow, Sunday.

02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
It was packed. I stood in line for 30 min and left. Maybe another time.

02-18-2007, 2:01 PM
Wow! I've never been there when it was that bad.

02-18-2007, 6:58 PM
Yea, it was nuts, but it is good that so many folks ae out shooting. Maybe there is hope afterall. I also went to the gunshow on Saturday and it too was packed. All are good signs that the sport is growing still in CA. It seems to me the whole OLL thing has really invigoriated the AR scene again. Here's to freedom eventually comming back to CA.

I'll post here when I go back to IS if any of you want to hook up for an OLL/ big bore party....