PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Tannerite Exploding Targets?

stag1500
02-16-2007, 4:36 PM
Are Tannerite Exploding Targets legal in California? Are there any exploding targets that are legal in this state? My inclination is obviously "NO!" but I'd like to be sure. Does anyone know?

theseacow
02-16-2007, 4:43 PM
tannerite is legal in california. i use it all the time as well as alot of my friends.

Nefarious
02-16-2007, 5:26 PM
Tannerite GB :D
Ive been wanting to pick up a LARGE quantity for quite some time now

tgriffin
02-16-2007, 5:52 PM
I would caution saying that it is a grey area.... tannerite is composed of ammonium perchlorate, ammonium nitrate, aluminium, and a sensitizer. Ammonium perchlorate and ammonium nitrate are both oxidizers, and both commonly used chemicals explosives manufacturing. This is part of Cal. Penal Code. Im NOT convinced, given proper circumstance, that a DA would NOT prosecute for an incident involving Tannerite. Its a matter of time before Tannerite is banned in California.

12312. Every person who possesses any substance, material, or any
combination of substances or materials, with the intent to make any
destructive device or any explosive without first obtaining a valid
permit to make such destructive device or explosive, is guilty of a
felony, and is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for
two, three, or four years.

creampuff
02-16-2007, 5:56 PM
I remember when Target Masters in Milpitas use to allow exploding targets, double taps, and buckshots. Those were the days :o

Franksremote
02-16-2007, 6:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zFWAR3Ovw

Anyone gotta GEO? GB for sure :p

Hunter
02-16-2007, 9:30 PM
I would caution saying that it is a grey area.... tannerite is composed of ammonium perchlorate, ammonium nitrate, aluminium, and a sensitizer. Ammonium perchlorate and ammonium nitrate are both oxidizers, and both commonly used chemicals explosives manufacturing. This is part of Cal. Penal Code. Im NOT convinced, given proper circumstance, that a DA would NOT prosecute for an incident involving Tannerite. Its a matter of time before Tannerite is banned in California.

Actually I believe it is only 1 part dark aluminum and 9 parts ammonium nitrate. Some batches have a little zirconium hydride in it as well for a catalyst. All of which are major components of firework arial rockets and available online to purchase as components. So to ban buying tannerite (which is just these components sold as a set) will also outlaw these materials for the firework industry. That is a big hurdle. How one handles the materials, and more importantly the mixture, is already covered in the PC codes now. That includes one cannot transport, cannot give, cannot use in a way that endangers people or property, ect... the list goes on. Under current law, the most conservative approach would be to seek a user permit from your local FM for using it under a prescribed set of rules/guidelines. Then one would be covered for PC 12312. The rest is using common sense to not violate any remaining PCs for mishandling the mixture.

stator
02-17-2007, 9:39 AM
From several websources on the ingredients of Tannerite:

"Tannerite consists of two components, a sensitizer and a bulk material. The bulk material is a mixture of ammonium nitrate and ammonium perchlorate, while the sensitizer is a mixture of dark flake aluminum powder and a small amount of zirconium hydride. Simpler mixtures of ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder are also known to work, but are less sensitive and harder to reliably detonate."

RANGER295
02-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Anyone gotta GEO? GB for sure :p
That car looked like it came from Iraq when they got done with it.

jnojr
02-17-2007, 6:28 PM
Are Tannerite Exploding Targets legal in California? Are there any exploding targets that are legal in this state? My inclination is obviously "NO!" but I'd like to be sure. Does anyone know?

It's fun, right? It goes "boom"?

My guess would be a resounding no.

Knauga
02-17-2007, 7:23 PM
It is an explosive (it explodes). They tend to take a broad spectrum approach to defining things like explosives. I had a neighbor kid (19) arrested, charged and convicted of manufacturing explosives for making ...wait for it... Dry Ice Bombs :eek:

RANGER295
02-17-2007, 8:04 PM
It is an explosive (it explodes). They tend to take a broad spectrum approach to defining things like explosives. I had a neighbor kid (19) arrested, charged and convicted of manufacturing explosives for making ...wait for it... Dry Ice Bombs :eek:
Yeah they specifically banned that around 2001 I think. I used to do that when I was a kid. It was really pretty fun.

artherd
02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Yeah they specifically banned that around 2001 I think. I used to do that when I was a kid. It was really pretty fun.

Sheesh, I used to make those as a kid. Good clean fun.

I guess kids today are going to be relegated to doing drugs in a quiet corner.

Knauga, do you know if he pled out?

m1371
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM

I would have to leans towards "NO" in response to your question(s). It might not be illegal by name but the Penal Code that was quoted seems to apply.

It's the part about "any combination of substances or materials" which would likely land you in the slammer.

Ammonium nitrate by itself is commercially available as a fertilizer. By itself it's no problem. But when you start driving around with an ammonium nitrate mix that has other chemicals in it which are meant to go "boom" then you're crossing the line legally.

This is just my opinion. I'm not a legal expert or a lawyer, but I do know a wee bit about stuff that goes "boom".

Knauga
02-18-2007, 2:17 PM
Sheesh, I used to make those as a kid. Good clean fun.

I guess kids today are going to be relegated to doing drugs in a quiet corner.

Knauga, do you know if he pled out?

Yes, arrested and charged with a felony. Held in lieu of $250,000 bail, ultimately pled to a misdemeanor. They tried to get his bail reduced and there was no flex, I guess they are tired of these terrorists running around with their deadly dry ice bombs :rolleyes:

RANGER295
02-18-2007, 5:30 PM
Ammonium nitrate by itself is commercially available as a fertilizer. By itself it's no problem. But when you start driving around with an ammonium nitrate mix that has other chemicals in it which are meant to go "boom" then you're crossing the line legally.
Actually I work for an ag chemical company and we do not stock it anymore. We can no longer get it in bulk though we can get it in sacks if we special order it which as a rule we do not do. If you were to walk in and try to buy some, we would not sell it to you. My company is the third larges ag chemical company in the country. Before I went to work for them, I worked for the second largest and they wouldn’t sell it either. I have heard that the largest is the same way. You may be able to find some at some smaller company but I doubt it in California.

Lohse
02-18-2007, 5:49 PM

Geez I used to play with that stuff all the time. We had the Sheriff come to our house once becasue the neighbors thought we were lighting off cherry bombs. We tried to explain to him that it was dry ice bombs, but he didn't understand. So he took our name and left.

Blue
02-18-2007, 7:07 PM
Geez I used to play with that stuff all the time. We had the Sheriff come to our house once becasue the neighbors thought we were lighting off cherry bombs. We tried to explain to him that it was dry ice bombs, but he didn't understand. So he took our name and left.

Same thing here, the cop didn't believe any of it and asked us to do one for him. So we did, and he decided it was just plain too loud. So he told us to knock it off and do it somewhere where there wasn't any neighbors or anything to piss off.

Cold Feelings
02-18-2007, 7:09 PM
On the GatlingGuns.com site it states that they are only legal when mixed and used on site. They are quoting ATF law, but have told me that the same applies to CA. Of course, I have not seen anyone selling them in CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPGL2mVAuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTu2JgaLXIM

m1371
02-18-2007, 8:43 PM
Actually I work for an ag chemical company and we do not stock it anymore. We can no longer get it in bulk though we can get it in sacks if we special order it which as a rule we do not do. If you were to walk in and try to buy some, we would not sell it to you. My company is the third larges ag chemical company in the country. Before I went to work for them, I worked for the second largest and they wouldn’t sell it either. I have heard that the largest is the same way. You may be able to find some at some smaller company but I doubt it in California.

Several years back when I was still active duty, my company commander decided he wanted to spend a few days doing field expedient demo with the troops. We ended up having to send Marines out to every little "Mom & Pop" farm supply shop around Camp Pendelton and buying the stuff in 5lb & 10lb bags.

It took several days to assemble a few hundred pounds of the stuff because it's not too readily available, just like you said.

I remember a pair of my younger Marines coming back with the story of how a cashier had asked them what they were going to do with all the AN that they had in stock.

Seems they told her they were going to use it for explosives. :eek:

Needless to say, that didn't go over too well. :rolleyes:

chiefcrash
03-09-2007, 1:42 PM

mmm, tannerite....