PDA

View Full Version : Light for pistol

dwtt
02-16-2007, 3:14 PM
Hi everyone,
I was looking at getting a light to mount to my pistol. I think it's a good idea to identify something that made a bump in the night before I shoot at it. I saw the Streamlight TLR-1 at the gun show last week and it seem OK, but the Insight M2 looks like it's a better unit, with it's adjustable beam. Anyone have experience with these lights? thanks.
Oh yes, the light will be mounted onto a Walther P99 I have on order, if it makes any difference.

rips31
02-16-2007, 3:30 PM
also depends if you want a led or a regular light. streamlight is a led, whereas the insight isn't. materials (al or plastic) may also affect your choice.

bu-bye
02-16-2007, 3:54 PM
A good friend of mine that used to train FBI agents and SWAT did a lot of testing with gun mounted lights and found that bad guys are more likely to shoot at the light rather then at the person. He said test after test showed its better to hold a light with your non shooting hand away from your body when you turn it on. Now this is all second hand info but I do trust him. I should also note that he is one of the old school cops so to him a good wheel gun and a 6 cell Mag light is good enough.

Budd
02-16-2007, 4:03 PM
A good friend of mine that used to train FBI agents and SWAT did a lot of testing with gun mounted lights and found that bad guys are more likely to shoot at the light rather then at the person. He said test after test showed its better to hold a light with your non shooting hand away from your body when you turn it on. Now this is all second hand info but I do trust him. I should also note that he is one of the old school cops so to him a good wheel gun and a 6 cell Mag light is good enough.

I tend to agree about the light - that being said I do have the XD tactical light on the XD40 for next to bed gun. Also, not all B&E's will be armed - so it is also a tool in that case. Kinda a 50/50 toss up.

colossians323
02-16-2007, 4:23 PM
If your Walther doesn't have the open light rail, you will have to order a Walther P99 specific light.
I'm not sure if your choices fill that bill.
Also, I am not sure if the newer Walthers have changed their design.
Does your Walther have a open rail, at the end of the barrel?

megavolt121
02-16-2007, 4:32 PM

I learned this method in a tactical training class. Its not just the bad guys, anyone will shoot at a bright light because that's the only thing they can see.

Also, its REALLY hard to aim the light and gun at the same place.

classical_buff
02-16-2007, 5:02 PM
How about Surefire X200 LED WeaponLights?

I used it for a few years and it's very compact and bright.
It's more expensive than Streamlight TLR-1 or Insight M2 but I think it's worth the price. Used it with Glock 19, Glock 35, Sig 220ST & STI Tactical, zero problems.

grammaton76
02-16-2007, 5:05 PM
I learned this method in a tactical training class. Its not just the bad guys, anyone will shoot at a bright light because that's the only thing they can see.

My preferred setup for night would be CT grips on the gun, and a flashlight in my off hand (obviously, held away from the body). I'm a lot better one-handed with CT grips...

megavolt121
02-16-2007, 5:12 PM

My preferred setup for night would be CT grips on the gun, and a flashlight in my off hand (obviously, held away from the body). I'm a lot better one-handed with CT grips...

Actually its not just aiming the gun that's the issue. We held our lights above and to the left of our left shoulder. Just making sure your light hit the target, or close to it was hard enough.

icormba
02-16-2007, 5:29 PM
Hi everyone,
I was looking at getting a light to mount to my pistol. I think it's a good idea to identify something that made a bump in the night before I shoot at it. I saw the Streamlight TLR-1 at the gun show last week and it seem OK, but the Insight M2 looks like it's a better unit, with it's adjustable beam. Anyone have experience with these lights? thanks.
Oh yes, the light will be mounted onto a Walther P99 I have on order, if it makes any difference.

Doesn't the Insight M2 only fit the HK USP? either way... it's the one I have for my USP and I think it's great!

maxicon
02-16-2007, 5:35 PM
I've got kids in the house, and have never liked the idea of pointing my weapon to identify the target, so I keep a hand-held xenon light next to the lockbox. Ideally, both would be a good bet - hand-held for checking out the noises with the handgun at high ready (this is how I practice at night), weapon-mounted in the event you actually need it for aiming.

That said, I have an XD subcompact with the little XML light (same as the Insight X2), and it's nice and bright, but I dropped it one time without catching it and the $17 bulb went. I also don't like the CR2 battery, but that's because it's a tiny light - most will use a CR123 battery.

Next weapon light I buy will be LED. They're getting just about as good as xenon (but the contrast isn't as good yet), and it's one less thing to go wrong in stressful times.

m1371
02-16-2007, 8:39 PM
Hi everyone,

There are pros and cons to using a weapon-mounted light vs a hand-held light.

Personally, my preferred option is to have both available as it allows you a bit more versatility.

SureFire X200A w/ tape switch and a G2Z flashlight is pretty much my standard.

If you're in the SoCal area, look into Firearms Training Associates for their night shooting classes so you can figure out what you're doing once you get your light(s). You'd be surprised what you can and cannot do with minimal illumination.

Dont Tread on Me
02-16-2007, 8:57 PM
I'm a fan of the Surefire X200. Built well and excellent controls. I recommend getting to a store where you can compare them side by side.

RollingCode3
02-16-2007, 9:35 PM
here is my glock with the tlr light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/100_1546.jpg

Shane916
02-16-2007, 10:39 PM
here is my glock with the tlr light.

+1 Same setup ! TLR-1 is a nice light and can be found for 98 shipped.

dwtt
02-17-2007, 8:36 AM
Thanks for all the info. I have a maglite flashlight with a pushbutton switch for momentary on but I much prefer to have both hands on the pistol if I'm going to shoot it. My thinking was that the maglite can be used to look around the house and yard, but if I decide to shoot, I'll put both hands on the pistol and use the weapon light for the sight picture and trigger pull. Anyway, that's what I was thinking and I won't have to point the pistol at something just to see what it is, only if I decide to shoot. Of course in a life and death situation where I have only a split second to act, I might end up shooting one handed.

maxicon
02-17-2007, 8:57 AM
Sounds like a plan. I'd recommend practicing it, if you aren't already, as that's the best way to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Get up when you hear some bump in the night, grab your gun (unloaded if you want to be cautious while training), check out your house and yard, and think about what could go wrong and what would work better. Sight on various objects, establish a pattern for effectively checking your floorplan, etc.

Greg-Dawg
02-17-2007, 1:53 PM
Go for the Surefire X200B, it has a wider beam. I just got the pressure switch, they were back ordered since November:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DG-11001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DG-11006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DG-11010.jpg