PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 All Weather

ViPER395
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Someone in the Bay was asking about these awhile back. I said they used to be on sale near me for $599.

I can't find that thread now, but they are on sale at Wild Sports in Orangevale (30min east of Sacramento) until Tuesday the 20th. Worth it if you're in the area or will be.

from the ad:

Mini-14
Semi Auto Ranch Rifle
223Remington Caliber
Includes Scope Rings (woohoo)
5 Shot Mag. Black Synthetic Stock
6 1/2 LBS. Stainless Steel. 18.5" BBL

$599

Alanski56
02-16-2007, 3:53 PM
Try this one on for size!

Mike Mills
02-16-2007, 9:34 PM
Alanski, looks good but how does it shoot?

Alanski56
02-18-2007, 4:34 PM
Alanski, looks good but how does it shoot?

I've done at least 1.5 MOA. In better hands I believe it can do 1 MOA. The reasons:

1. Barrel shortened to 16.25".
2. Addition of threaded Smith Muzzle Brake.
3. Aircraft Aluminum handguard in place of stock plastic handguard:
a). Stiffer contact between Scout Mount and gas block (Major barrel harmonics reduction).
b). A second barrel to Scout Mount clamp further up the barrel for further stiffining.
4. Fully bedded stock.
5. Trigger job (pull is about 3.5 lbs).

The first time I took it to the range the range masters couldn't believe I was getting the groups I was getting with a Mini 14. Believe me, they weren't the only ones that noticed. I handload so the ammo is also top notch. I've owned other Mini 14s and Mini 30s and yes, they do have their problems and some of them are big problems. I'll tell you this however, I'll take this Mini 14 to any SHTF scenario with the utmost confidence that it will perform exceptional and perform for a long time. The other nice thing is this sucker doesn't weigh hardly anything. It's very handy. The gunsmith that did the work is in Salem, OR and as far as I'm concerned, he's a friggin' genius with making Mini 14s function and shoot the way a real rifle is supposed to shoot. And, he doesn't charge anywhere near the bigger names in Mini 14 modifying. I can actually say with a straight face that I love this Mini 14.

Have a nice day.

anyracoon
02-18-2007, 7:20 PM
Alanski

I have a mini-14 stainless ranch that I have wanted to send out for a trigger job. Who did yours and also curious as to what your reloads are.

Alanski56
02-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Alanski

I have a mini-14 stainless ranch that I have wanted to send out for a trigger job. Who did yours and also curious as to what your reloads are.

Good morning anyracoon,

Great West Gunsmithing, www.greatwestgunsmithing.com did the work on my Mini 14. Talk to John. This guy is top, top notch and a real pleasure to work with. They are located in Salem, Oregon.

My current reloads for .223 is as follows:

25.3 grains of Hodgdon BL-C(2)
55 Grain Hornady V-Max and 55 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
CCI Small Magnum Rifle Primers
Lake City, Winchester and Remington Brass (all separated by manufacturer, of course).

This load runs a little more than 1 grain below maximum charge according to the Speer #13 Reloading Manual. After many trials this charge is what both my Mini and OLL just love the most. For my rifles, anything over 25.5 grains really starts to open the groups up. I have also used Winchester 748 with the same powder charge and the results were pretty much identical. I also experimented with Hodgdon Varget but I would have to look at my log to see what the optimum powder charge charge was. Varget worked exceptionally well also but since it is a stick powder, it didn't feed through my powder dispenser nearly as smooth as ball powder does.

Have a nice day.

ViPER395
02-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I've never seen a thread hijacked so hard.

Alanski56
02-20-2007, 2:38 PM

Oh! Right! The topic!

Tell your friend to save themselves some grief and build up an OLL. :p

-hanko
02-20-2007, 3:32 PM
It's the nature of the board & getting worse if anything.:mad:

The all weather model is supposed to be better than the first version...1st version generally shoots shameful groups considering .223's inherent accuracy.

I'd agree that for a little more money initially you can do better with an oll...definitely better if you send the mini out for accurizing.

-hanko