PDA

View Full Version : How old do you have to be to own rifle magazines....

Mossy Man
10-28-2011, 4:54 PM
Because back in December 1999, my father gave me all his 20 round mini-14 magazines at the tender age of 17.

So.....do I get to keep them?

chead
10-28-2011, 4:56 PM
Is this intended as CYA evidence in the case of your future court case?

CK_32
10-28-2011, 4:58 PM
Lol^

shark92651
10-28-2011, 5:00 PM
There is no legal minimum age to possess rifle magazines.

Mossy Man
10-28-2011, 5:01 PM
I'm just curious. I've had these 20 round mags laying around for a long time, afraid to bring them with me to the ranges.

The rifle is a featureless Ruger Mini14 Range rifle (except for a hogue overmold stock and a cheap bushnell scope) that i am currently using 10 round magazines with.

As I understand it, you do not have to relinquish 'hi capacity' magazines if owned prior to January 2000, you just can't buy, sell, or give them to others.

Assault weapons pertain to centerfire rifles with the capacity to accept detachable magazines and one evil feature, OR a fixed magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds.

i'm just curious

Deadon
10-28-2011, 5:02 PM
Just make sure there not Pmags. Ive seen guys rock 30 round mags and tell me they are pre ban,lol Magpul wasnt even making them then!

chead
10-28-2011, 5:03 PM
Just make sure there not Pmags. Ive seen guys rock 30 round mags and tell me they are pre ban,lol Magpul wasnt even making them then!

People have rebuilt INTO PMags, it's legit.

shark92651
Possession of high caps is not illegal - just don't use them in a magazine-locked rifle rifle. You can use them in a featureless rifle with no worries.

Mossy Man

i don't even know what brand they are; they have no marks on them or writing.

they are also only 20 rounds

evidens83
Of course he did :TFH:

SarcoBlaster
10-28-2011, 5:07 PM
You fail. :facepalm:

evidens83
10-28-2011, 5:09 PM

:facepalm:

Merc1138
10-28-2011, 5:14 PM

You've been on this site a little over a year, your avatar suggests you have an AR, and yet you're posting FUD like this...

SureShot241
10-28-2011, 5:17 PM
100 percent legal

Sniper3142
10-28-2011, 7:03 PM

The magnitude of your wrongness has been pointed out by several others. :(

chead
10-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Of course he did :TFH:

No it's true he gave me some too.

chad68
10-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Is this intended as CYA evidence in the case of your future court case?

Off topic but I have to ask anyway.

I have always wondered what's the deal with the Cherry flavored Gummy bear/huminoid looking avatar thing?

odysseus
10-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Possession of high caps is not illegal - just don't use them in a magazine-locked rifle rifle. You can use them in a featureless rifle with no worries.

...and for those at the range spy'n on me, it's ok on RAWs too!

IrishPirate
10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
you have to be exactly 1 second old......

Deadon is Deadwrong

CSACANNONEER
10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Well, in Dec '99 my dad gave me a couple 17 round Sigma mags. So, it can happen. Of course, I was a lot older than 17 (not that that makes one bit of difference) and we both were well aware of the pending law. I just could not find any where I lived and he found a couple at a Cow Palace show so, he bought them for me. That said, he also gave me 30 round M1 Carbine mags when I was a kid (back in the 70's) and we've exchanged +10 round mags many time over the years. We did stop doing so in 2000.

MrPlink
10-28-2011, 10:32 PM

jokes on you buddy, perfectly legal to rebuild USGI and other similar pre-bans into un-blocked pmags.

I did while ago with a few, as have several of us here who have them.

sirsloth
10-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Well, in Dec '99 my dad gave me a couple 17 round Sigma mags. So, it can happen. Of course, I was a lot older than 17 (not that that makes one bit of difference) and we both were well aware of the pending law. I just could not find any where I lived and he found a couple at a Cow Palace show so, he bought them for me. That said, he also gave me 30 round M1 Carbine mags when I was a kid (back in the 70's) and we've exchanged +10 round mags many time over the years. We did stop doing so in 2000.

Interesting. I thought the federal AWB made getting "high capacity magazines" nigh impossible back in 1999.

CSACANNONEER
10-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Interesting. I thought the federal AWB made getting "high capacity magazines" nigh impossible back in 1999.

Nope, they could be bought and sold. It just wasn't legal to manufacture new ones for sale to common folk.

arsilva32
10-28-2011, 10:57 PM

you dont get high cap mags you get rebuild kits for your worn out preban mags

it kills me calling 30 round mags high cap, thats a standard cap. i would call a 100 round beta-c a high cap mag

chead
10-28-2011, 10:58 PM

I have always wondered what's the deal with the Cherry flavored Gummy bear/huminoid looking avatar thing?

I'm not positive but I think it's a colored series of slices from a MRI scanner. I just think it looks neat :)

rero360
10-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah? well my grandfather bought a bunch of 30 round mags back when they were first introduced and then gave them to me when I first showed an interest in the the shooting sports.

He was a true visionary, a modern day Nostradamus, or maybe it was just the booze. :D

WDE91
10-28-2011, 11:52 PM
If you were out of your mothers womb before the ban went into place you are legally of the age to own

There is no age requirement other than that you are breathing air before the ban
1 second or 100 years old and anything in between

dieselpower
10-29-2011, 6:36 AM
just an FYI....

You do not want to answer the question, "Where did you get these?" or "When did you get these?" or Who gave you these?" when an LEO asks.

The only thing you need to say is, "They are mine." People talk themselves into jail...not out of it. He can not arrest nor can he seize unless YOU give him PC. If he does, shut up and lawyer up... he will be unemployed before you cash the settlement check.

Mossy Man
10-29-2011, 9:08 AM
just an FYI....

You do not want to answer the question, "Where did you get these?" or "When did you get these?" or Who gave you these?" when an LEO asks.

The only thing you need to say is, "They are mine." People talk themselves into jail...not out of it. He can not arrest nor can he seize unless YOU give him PC. If he does, shut up and lawyer up... he will be unemployed before you cash the settlement check.

thanks for the advice

they're mine.

vintagearms
10-29-2011, 9:16 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Your answers are here.

redking
10-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I have a bunch of 20 round M16 mags from my uncle's army days.

I want to use them when I build my first AR

Problem is they are all rusted to crap, so I will probably just end up rebuilding all of them.

WDE91
10-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Redking you should try some of this stuff
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html

It is good stuff
Just toss the entire magazine in and let it sit and then check progress

Sniper3142
10-29-2011, 8:17 PM

I'm not positive but I think it's a colored series of slices from a MRI scanner. I just think it looks neat :)

And I always thought it was one of those gelitan molds that are used to show bullet damage.

:(

redking
10-29-2011, 8:45 PM
Redking you should try some of this stuff
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html

It is good stuff
Just toss the entire magazine in and let it sit and then check progress

I'll dig them out of storage, they are pretty fubar... I don't think a single part would really be salvageable. been in my grandparents shed that has a drain for when it floods :rolleyes:

Should I keep parts of the fubar mags to show the feds?

chead
10-29-2011, 8:50 PM
I'll dig them out of storage, they are pretty fubar... I don't think a single part would really be salvageable. been in my grandparents shed that has a drain for when it floods :rolleyes:

Should I keep parts of the fubar mags to show the feds?

No sense in throwing them out but to be honest I've shot some legit mags featureless and no one gave it a second look. No one at the range will care unless you yourself are making a big deal about it.

WDE91
10-29-2011, 8:54 PM
hmm I would at least try it out
That stuff can do some pretty amazing things
and I reuse it and just poor it back into the jug after

Hmm that is something only you can really answer
Legally you are not required to keep anything, parts or receipts
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Oceanbob
10-29-2011, 9:22 PM
I remember that we gun owners knew about the coming ban. And prices went thru the roof.! People were hoarding handgun and rifle magazines like crazy. I still have unopened new in the shrink wrap high capacity AR/AK and Mini 14 and Mini 30 mags. I spent some serious money for these and I intend to keep them. :43: The same situation for Glock/SW/Ruger mags. I remember the great Gunshows over at Anaheim stadium during the 80s and 90s.....plenty of magazines at high prices. Still people were buying what they could.

I own 11 Registered Assault Weapons here in Californistan and I have piles of high cap magazines for them. When I go to the range, people look but nobody says anything..:)

I once let a Police Officer in the next lane over shoot my HK-91 with a 20 round mag. All he said was thanks..!

Be well, Bob

Oceanbob
10-29-2011, 9:23 PM
just an FYI....

The best advice here^^^^^^^^^

NorCalK9.com
10-29-2011, 9:28 PM
Heck I have mags from when I was 8.
My Gpa use to take me to out gun store wouldnt buy me a rifle but said I could get 1 mag ea time we went. I now own about 60 different prebans lol but all my rifles are evil in ca so they do me no good for now.

cltitus
10-29-2011, 9:32 PM
I was given like 100 high caps since they were getting tossed out and i had to rebuild like 30 or so but this was while I was in ther service. I don't have them in california anymore due to the end of my military service and just stored them in a place where I am moving once I graduate.

Anchors
10-29-2011, 10:19 PM
No it's true he gave me some too.

:rofl2:

I have a bunch of 20 round M16 mags from my uncle's army days.

I want to use them when I build my first AR

Problem is they are all rusted to crap, so I will probably just end up rebuilding all of them.

Remember, over 10 round mags are perfectly legal if you owned them before, but you can't put them in a magazine locked centerfire, semi-auto rifle. Period. You need to go featureless.

Mossy Man
10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, it seems like you have the mags.....but not the gun.
Where could we possibly find a Mini 14 for sale that you can buy....hmmmm!!!

lol i'm sorry, i already have an older 196 series that i picked up some time ago

but thanks.