PDA

View Full Version : Comestic fix to SAXD question.

Mr. Ed
02-15-2007, 9:36 PM
I have an OD SAXD V10 in 40cal. Its a beautiful gun, but I want the lower receiver/grip to be black. What kind of paint can I use to get rid of the OD and make it black?

Overkill
02-16-2007, 6:46 AM
Duarcoat. People apply the stuff all the time on polymer AR15 furniture, glock frames, etc.

Mr. Ed
02-16-2007, 9:30 AM
Is there anything else besides duracoat? Rustoleum?? I've never used duracoat, so I'm a bit apprehensive because I don't want to screw up.

-hanko
02-16-2007, 1:56 PM
I have an OD SAXD V10 in 40cal. Its a beautiful gun, but I want the lower receiver/grip to be black. What kind of paint can I use to get rid of the OD and make it black?
If you want it to last better than the original finish, Gunkote is most durable but needs an oven bake after painting. Durcoat is almost as durable. Both require sand or bead blasting before you paint. Google 'mac's shooting irons' (iirc). Excellent pricing for Gunkote and a great reputation over the last few years.

If it's cosmetic only, Rustoleum will work.

-hanko

alpha_romeo_XV
02-16-2007, 3:19 PM
You could probably get someone who has a black frame and wants your OD to swap with you? I have an XD40 service (in OD), is the V10 5"? Not positive but I think the 9,40 and 357s 4" all use the same frame and no serial number.

Mr. Ed
02-16-2007, 3:44 PM
I thought about swapping out the lower with a buddy, but that's the part that has the serial number, so we couldn't do it without doing a PPT+DROS fees and all.

And thx for suggestions everyone

m1371
02-16-2007, 7:30 PM

Krylon Fusion.

It won't look like an OEM XD but it will accomplish what you want, which is make the frame black.

marlon671
02-16-2007, 9:54 PM
i used both krylon fusion and duracoat. fusion is easier to work with but is also a thinner paint and its intended use is plastic. duracoat if applied without rush is the perfect answer to ur solution. works well with polymer or steel.... just my .02....

marlon671
02-16-2007, 9:56 PM
You could probably get someone who has a black frame and wants your OD to swap with you? I have an XD40 service (in OD), is the V10 5"? Not positive but I think the 9,40 and 357s 4" all use the same frame and no serial number.

i thought the frame is where the serial number is embedded. atleast on my xd it is... pls correct me if im wrong :confused:

Mr. Ed
02-16-2007, 11:15 PM
I would like to try Duracoat, but my concern is if I screw up. The last thing I want is a gun with a bad paint job. I'm also not much of a spray painter. I've spray painted furniture and stuff before, but never a gun. I'm afraid I'll spray too much in one spot and then the paint will pool and gunk up. Then I'll be stuck with a piece of junk. Is duracoat really that easy...as advertised?

xenophobe
02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Duracoat is airbrushed, and yes, it'll look better than a krylon can finish.

If you screw up with either, you're pretty much screwed.

DV8
02-17-2007, 6:55 AM
I would like to try Duracoat, but my concern is if I screw up. The last thing I want is a gun with a bad paint job. I'm also not much of a spray painter. I've spray painted furniture and stuff before, but never a gun. I'm afraid I'll spray too much in one spot and then the paint will pool and gunk up. Then I'll be stuck with a piece of junk. Is duracoat really that easy...as advertised?

If you've spray painted before it should be no problem. When I first used the stuff I practiced with water on cardboard to get the airbrush pattern right. Then I duracoated an ammo can to get my technique right.

If you're worried about it pooling (you have to really mess up to do that), heat your parts up so when the duracoat hits them it dries immediately. But if you have your brush pattern set properly it only takes a couple of passes to get complete thin coverage so I dont think you'll have that problem.

I've made mistakes where I sprayed too thick but it never ran. I had to blast the parts again so I could start over.

One last tip, even though they say you can assemble after 24 hours DONT. I wait a week or so to achieve maximum curing. Or I bake the parts then wait 3 -4 days.

Mr. Ed
02-17-2007, 9:02 AM
thanks for all the tips.

stuckin
02-17-2007, 5:09 PM
i have done a couple guns with spray paint. cant rember what kind it was but got it from a gun shop and they said it worked pretty good on guns. just did a lot of light coats to get the look i wanted. better to take ur time to get it right then mess up. the idea of the ammo can for testing is a good idea. but for what $25 u and ur friend could just go do the paper work and it would be perfect and from the factory. not sure if painting it would mess up ur warenty or not
stuck