View Full Version : Your favorite/best AR 223 16 inch upper

02-15-2007, 9:26 PM
What do you guys think is the best upper out there? STAG, Model 1, M&A, DPMS, bushmaster, CMMG or other. Let me know your thoughts, I am looking to pick one up soon.

02-15-2007, 9:42 PM
I have a Stag that I'm pretty happy with, and am planning to pick up a CMMG 20" upper in the near future. Most of the comments regarding Model 1 and M&A seem to indicate that they don't deserve to be uttered in the same sentence as the others. It's kind of like asking, "What's your favorite sports car? Ferrari F430, Dodge Daytona, Yugo, C6 Corvette, Viper, or Lamborghini Gallardo."

02-15-2007, 9:44 PM
Get a 1x7 twist rate if you can, and if you ever wanna shoot some heavier bullets.... things like 69gr, 77gr, 80gr etc.... but if ALL you will ever go with is 55gr XM193 or 62gr XM855... then 1x9 will be fine...

Get a chrome-lined barrel... you won't regret it...

Completed uppers... you can go with Stag or RRA.... CMMG is nicer, but I think more money...

02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I have a Stag that I'm pretty happy with, and am planning to pick up a CMMG 20" upper in the near future.

Unfortunately the Stag 20" uppers (and *only* their 20" uppers, their 16" are OK) do NOT have chrome-lined barrels.

02-15-2007, 11:28 PM
I have one 14.5 inch midlength CMMG already on my KISS rifle, and CMMG is building me another right now to use on a "tacticool" gun. Vltor MUR billet upper, EGRESS bolt, low-pro gasblock, LaRue rifle length rails.

I already have TROY front/rear folding BUIS for it, and an Aimpoint ML3 in a LaRue mount. I also got a Daniel Defense rail-mounted sling mount for my Vickers sling, and the lower is fully built already (CMMG, JARD 3-pound trigger, CTR, Tango Down grip, Magpul trigger guard, etc)

02-16-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm planning/hoping on getting an LMT 1/7" 16" upper when I can afford it :(.

02-16-2007, 6:56 AM

I really like my LMT rifle.

02-16-2007, 7:25 AM
I've owned several of the uppers you listed, and several you didn't (Colt, RRA, Etc) All seem to be pretty decent IMHO, with the exception of the M&A and Model 1 uppers that I had. Those both exhibited rough exterior finish and pitting (yes, pitting on a brand new upper receiver!).

Currently, I have settled on the LMT line of uppers. The regular uppers are some of the best overall fit and finish I have seen. The LMT MRPs are also very cool if you have that kind of cash to drop. The MRP has a thinner handguard in my opinion, but the quick change bbl system is pretty cool. You also can't go wrong with a RRA or Armalite upper. Bushmasters are great oo, but I've had a few with tight chambers/finish issues over the years (anyone remember the purple bushies from the mid-late 90's??!

So, to get back to your question, my vote is LMT for overall quality. However, the bbls only come in 1x7 twist...if that's a concern to you.

02-16-2007, 7:27 AM
Stag, because it's a LEFTY

02-16-2007, 7:43 AM
Since there always has to be that one guy with that one post that doesn't fit the thread, let it be me.:D

The best 10.5 barrel with a 5.5" pinned moderator.

Colt of course..................

02-16-2007, 9:14 AM
LMT, period.:D

02-16-2007, 9:34 AM
+1 on what DB2 said :)

02-16-2007, 12:36 PM

I've got an LMT 14.5" with a permanently attached Phantom and it's great! :)

02-16-2007, 2:55 PM
I just got a few in for you guys in California and they are pretty nice. There model 2HT and 2HT-L

I can get them for you as well, they are nice..

02-16-2007, 3:14 PM
I have both a DPMS and Ameetec M-4 Profile 16 inch barrelled receivers. Both have chrome-lined barrels, and they shoot anything I feed it. I bought the DPMS a years ago to put on my registered aw, but the Ameetec I purchased last month for my first OLL. The fit and finish is nice and tight, and it shoots everything I feed it, including Wolf!! For $430 USD on Ameetec's website, that is a hard deal to beat. I will posting pics of new complete finish after this weekend.

For my next OLL upper, it will probably be a Rock River 20" with stainless steel finsh. I like the 1 in 8 twist, plus this is going to be a pure iron sight gun

02-16-2007, 3:59 PM
I have no experience with other uppers, but my Bushmaster has been excellent. It fits perfectly with my Mega lower.

02-16-2007, 5:28 PM
The best is the one you build yourself. Better than having it your way at Burger King. That being said, I do have a CMMG 16" middy that is a thing of beauty. Just the basic upper with an LMT rear sight but it is accurate and cleanly assembled.