View Full Version : Subcompact 40S&W - glock or SA?

02-15-2007, 7:03 PM

02-15-2007, 7:18 PM
Go for the G27. You can always get a magazine extension from Pearce. Also, you don't have to oil a lot of areas with the Glock. It's lighter than the XD. Go try out an XD.

Dont Tread on Me
02-15-2007, 7:41 PM
Get the gun that feels best to you and that you shoot well. Both are excellent guns. If you already have one of these in a larger model I'd stick with the same family to maintain magazine compatibility.

I find .40 S&W a difficult caliber to shoot in such a small gun so went 9mm but then I'm a wimpy European:)

02-15-2007, 7:55 PM
I agree about getting a 9mm. I owned a G27 and I feel that the snappy recoil of the .40S&W doesn't lend itself well to a subcompact platform.

As far as which gun, I sold my G23 and G27 a few years ago because I couldn't get used to the feel of the Glock. I recently purchased the XD40 5" model and have run about 500 rounds through it in 3 weeks. I feel that the XD is a better design for me. You'll have to test them both out to see what you like the best.

02-15-2007, 8:28 PM
I maybe bias here since I only have Glocks.
I to have a G27 with the pearce mag extention & the gun handles well.
You'll definitely like the G27. Never shot the XD but I bet its a fine weapon as well.

But like all have said go to a range and try the guns you're interested in.
Always get what feels good to you. Either or would be a good choice.

02-15-2007, 8:37 PM
i may be bias as well, i only have xd's. I have the XD40 3" and love it. it was my first pistol. first gun actually. it's a very accurate weapon for subby and really fun to shoot. the grip is angled well and very comfortable for me. however, i've never shot a glock so i have no comparative reference.

go shoot them if you can. i did shoot a 4" glock once but liked my 4" XD better. I have the 3", 4", and 5" in 40cal. Love them all. but to each his own so make sure to shoot it.

02-15-2007, 9:37 PM
I have shot both side by side. Both are nice guns but I picked the glock because of the smaller size and the fact that glock are built so well and have a better track record.

The SoCal Gunner
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Get both. One then the other. I have a XD40 Service, XD9SC, and a Glock 36. Obtained in that order. Can't really compare the G27 to the XD though since my Glock is a slimline.

02-16-2007, 8:50 AM
Haha exactly what lilxboi said. Go buy both and be happy!

02-16-2007, 7:56 PM
I love my 3 xd's and cannot shoot glocks. When I try I can hardly hit the target, but have excellent groups with the XD. I think I like my 9mm better, but I like the .40 cal round characteristics better.

02-17-2007, 7:39 PM
i only have the xd 45 full size. but they make a really nice gun. very good grip. i have big hands and it fits great. i tried a glock and just cant get into the way my hand fites the grip. the xd just feels better.

02-18-2007, 7:55 AM
My hands are kind of big. I shot a glock 27 before, and my pinky finger dangles, and my ring finger does not have good grip. I did not shoot an XD though.

Is this gun for concealed carry? The main point of the Glock 27 and its two finger grip is that it is easier to conceal than the larger G23 or G22 models in .40 caliber. But the G27 is more difficult to shoot well because of the shorter grip and barrel.

If you are not a CCW holder, you should consider the larger .40 caliber models, which have a grip allowing all fingers a place to rest. I have an older G23 and it is a reliable gun that has never failed to fire.

02-19-2007, 6:33 AM
Shoot both as much as possible if you can.

For myself, I really prefer the 2nd generation (no finger grooves) G23, like in Miltiades' picture.

Glocks are really easy to clean & maintain. And the 9mm round isn't nearly as bad as some folks think; ammo has improved a lot in the last twenty years.