PDA

View Full Version : President Kennedy and the 1st AR15....

GI-M1
02-15-2007, 7:06 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me locate a photo of President Kennedy being presented the first AR15 ser#100 back in the early 60's.

I believe that ser#100 was the first made available for sale to the public and that Pres. Kennedy was give this very first rifle.

Rumor also has it that the ser#101-200 were purchased by the Air Force.

Serial #'s 0-25 where unmarked and 26-99 went to testing. Can anyone verify this?

I've looked for a link of the photo of Kennedy receiving the first AR15, but can't seem to locate it.

TIA

BillCA
02-15-2007, 7:26 PM
The serial number information makes some sense to me for the original Colt AR-15 series.

Many moons ago, a friend's roomie had a Colt AR-15 that he purchased when they first came out. I still recall the serial number was 00211 which we, as aspiring PD officers, thought was amusing.

Harbinger
02-15-2007, 7:43 PM
Is this what you're looking for? It appears to be an early M16... not sure what the crossbow is all about.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/robert2011/b1ab9025.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/robert2011/dce78c8e.jpg

GI-M1
02-15-2007, 8:18 PM
I don't remember the 'cross-bow'.....I'm almost certain that Colt presented the first (semi-auto) AR15 rifle (ser#000100) to him and that the caption of the photo said to that effect.

Anyone else know what I'm looking for??

TIA

SemiAutoSam
02-15-2007, 8:21 PM
Sorry to bring up this news but if your talking about the air force full auto version of the AR15 thats one thing but the civilian AR15 wasn't released by colt for public consumption until some time in 1964. according to books I have on the rifle. and since Kennedy was killed in 1963 that would have been kind of hard to accomplish.

dfletcher
02-15-2007, 8:39 PM
If I recall correctly the M16 and crossbow (being held by Major General Ted Clifton) were brought into the WH inside a sack, right by the watchful eyes of the Secret Service. I believe counterinsurgency was being discussed & the crossbow a weapon being used in those endeavors.

Dont Tread on Me
02-15-2007, 8:46 PM
The crossbow was the proposed CA legal version:)

bear93445
02-15-2007, 8:49 PM
According to a documentary I just saw on the History Chanel, Armalite was the original manufacturer or the AR15. Additionally, it was a civilian model since it was declined by the Army Ordinance department. Prior to Kennedyís election 750 rifles were procured for evaluation by Rangers in Vietnam. Some how they bypassed Army Ordinance, I just donít remember how. Somewhere during all this Armalite sold the patent to Colt because they believed the military was not going to approve it (while Armalite owned it the AR15 was declined twice by Army Ordinance). Army Ordnance did not want to accept the AR15 as the battle weapon; it was McNamara (Sec. of Defense, I think) that ordered them to finally develop a battlefield version, the M16.

I'm not completely sure how accurate the History channel is, they also refered to the 30 Carbine as a pistol.

GI-M1
02-15-2007, 9:22 PM
Sorry to bring up this news but if your talking about the air force full auto version of the AR15 thats one thing but the civilian AR15 wasn't released my colt for public consumption until some time in 1964. according to books I have on the rifle. and since Kennedy was killed in 1963 that would have been kind of hard to accomplish.

Actually, I believe the first AR15's (semi auto version) were first produced in 1963. I have serial # 10xx and I have a letter from Colt verifying that it was produced in 1964. I have another publication (if I can find it) that will verify that the 1st one's produced were in 1963.

Technical Ted
02-15-2007, 9:22 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/robert2011/b1ab9025.jpg

This picture appears in the Foreward of The Black Rifle. The caption underneath reads:"President Kennedy in his White House office, examining an early Colt AR-15 made circa the ARPA order, December 1961 (fig. 121). His aide, Major General "Ted" Clifton, holds an example of the CIA-developed crossbow. Both these weapons fuelled the late President's interest in "the problems of combatting communist insurgency."

bear93445. Armalite (The division of Fairchild Aircraft, not the company Eagle that now owns the name rights) was the company that hired Eugene Stoner, Robert Fremont and L. James Sullivan. It was Fremont and Sullivan who redesigned the AR-10 to come up with the AR-15.

Armalite never manufactured firearms in quantity. Their business model for the AR-7, original AR-10 and AR-15 was to license manufacturiing.

Armalite licensed Colt to manufacture the AR-15. The Air Force made a "one time" purchase to procure select fire Colt AR-15's for their security forces.

It was not until after the initial Air Force order that the Army officially designated the rifle M-16. Contract "508" was awarded to Colt on November 4, 1963.

SemiAutoSam
02-15-2007, 9:31 PM
I guess I was partly wrong about this part. Thanks for the clarification Ted.

This picture appears in the Forward of The Black Rifle. The caption underneath reads:"President Kennedy in his White House office, examining an early Colt AR-15 made circa the ARPA order, December 1961 (fig. 121).

But this part I believe I was correct on. :D

Armalite licensed Colt to manufacture the AR-15. The Air Force made a "one time" purchase to procure select fire Colt AR-15's for their security forces.

It was not until after the initial Air Force order that the Army officially designated the rifle M-16. Contract "508" was awarded to Colt on November 4, 1963.

Technical Ted
02-15-2007, 9:35 PM
But this part I believe I was correct on. :D
I was simply correcting bear93445's recounting of a History Channel reinterpretation/oversimplification of events for the boob tube.

tiger222
02-16-2007, 7:14 AM
intersting ~ one of my favorite builds is an early AR with slab side upper, smooth chrome bolt, early e-port door, non-trap a1 buttstock, pencil bbl with triangle hand guards and a duck bill flash hider... oh and the triangle charging handle :)

and there it is!! must of stuck in my subconscious somewhere as a kid.....