PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Question about SKS

wksun88
02-15-2007, 2:38 PM
Hi, I'll be going to the gunshow in Del Mar this upcoming weekend looking for some stocks for my M-59. My question is, if I buy the tapco stock which has the pistol grip and telescoping stock, do I need to modify anything to make it legal? If I buy a detachable magazine does it make it illegal? Thanks!

ask80
02-15-2007, 2:43 PM
detachable mag + pistol grip = assault rifle.

tango-52
02-15-2007, 2:46 PM
At the top of the page there is a tab labelled Search. Put in SKS Tapco legal. Eleven other posts will come up that discuss this topic in detail. Read all of those. If you still have questions, ask again.

Wildhawk66
02-15-2007, 4:44 PM
Tango, everyones got questions and this is the place for them. Obviously the search function should be used, but please go easy on the folks with a recent join date (yourself included).

blkA4alb
02-15-2007, 4:55 PM
To use detachable magazines on your M59 you cannot have a pistol grip or any of the other features.

If you choose to use the Tasco stock and keep the fixed magazine you will have to play the federal 922(r) game, that has been discussed many times and a search for that will help you find your answer.

mltrading
02-15-2007, 4:56 PM
1) DO NOT modify your SKS mode 59 to accept detachable mags. It's a big NO-NO in Cali.

2) The TAPCO SKS T6 stock is fine. Just remember to leave the attached (fixed) 10-rd mag as is. Also you need to play parts count game.:)

bwiese
02-15-2007, 5:47 PM
1) DO NOT modify your SKS mode 59 to accept detachable mags. It's a big NO-NO in Cali.

Bzzzzt, WRONG!

Where have you been?

The rifles colloquially known as "Yugo SKS" are not truly an SKS. They are Simonov-pattern rifles that are in fact Zastava M59s or M59/66s and are not properly formally described by term "SKS".

There is no CA law banning Yugo M59s from having detachable magazines, as the law only bans "SKS with detachable magazines". Russian and Chinese Simonov rifles are a no-no for detachable mag conversions. The Albanian and E. German Simonov rifles are not SKSes however, and could have detachable mags.

hoffmang
02-15-2007, 7:35 PM
As long as the 3 letters "SKS" do not appear on your rifle, you do not have a rilfe that is an "SKS with detachable magazine" and you can run detachable as long as you comply with 992(r) and SB-23.

-Gene

grammaton76
02-15-2007, 7:41 PM
BTW, I'll save you some time at Del Mar: CWS doesn't carry SKS parts. For some reason unknown to me, I spend a significant portion of each show explaining that our AK furniture and compliance parts will not fit an SKS. :) I love SKSes dearly, but we don't have any AK parts that would work with them.

Maybe if, later on, JPglee1 gets his drop-mag SKS kit to market... but as of now, no.

wksun88
02-16-2007, 4:38 PM
grammaton, do you mean that they won't have any stocks for sale? My friend who went to the LA one a few weeks ago said he saw some SKS stuff there. :(

grammaton76
02-16-2007, 4:44 PM
grammaton, do you mean that they won't have any stocks for sale? My friend who went to the LA one a few weeks ago said he saw some SKS stuff there. :(

Plenty of AK stuff, yes... but not any SKS stuff. Never had it, but hopefully will some day when the drop-mag setup is available.