PDA

View Full Version : 1911 choices

FatKatMatt
02-15-2007, 2:08 PM
There are many brands, and many models within those brands, to choose from. In the future, like any gunowner should, I will purchase a 1911 and have narrowed down a few models that I like. However I don't know a whole lot about them besides their features. The ones I like are:

SIG 1911 GSR Revolution XO
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Service Model 5in COMBAT, BLACK STAINLESS
Kimber Custom II
Colt 1991A1 Series 80

They are all around the same price from the same website. I really like the finish on the Colt and its simple styling, same things for the Kimber though I don't like the matte black as much, and I like the SIG and the SA for their numerous add-ons.

I want something that I will keep for a very long time, so resale value is really nil.

Thanks, Matt

cho034442
02-15-2007, 2:22 PM
You really can't go wrong with any of those that you listed. I would pick the one that meets my need and has the features that I want.
Some are heavier then others, so make sure you check on this.
The best thing to do is probably rent them from the range and see which one fits/handles/shoots the best.

I love my Sig GSR Revolution and Kimber Custom TLE II. If I really only need to pick one from these two, I would go with the GSR Revo. for overall better parts and finish.

Aluisious
02-15-2007, 2:22 PM
Series 80 Colts have firing pin safeties actuated by the trigger. Stay away...bad trigger pull.

The Kimber Custom II is a great gun for the money.

rorschach
02-15-2007, 2:23 PM
Here we go again....:D

I would take the Kimber or Springer over the SIG. The Colt 1991 is nice too, but is very no-frills.

Glock22Fan
02-15-2007, 2:50 PM
I really like my Smith and Wesson SW1911PD, with a Scandium frame.

Light enough to carry, heavy enough to absorb recoil, more accurate than me. A really, really nice gun. And lots of variations to choose.

EricCartmann
02-15-2007, 2:57 PM
I say Springfield for your first :D Lifetime warranty can't be beat.

FatKatMatt
02-15-2007, 2:59 PM
The only thing really dissauding me from the Colt is the numerous complaints about the trigger and the sights.

I also like how much stuff you get on the Springfield and the SIG compared to the others. The S & W are nice, but a bit out of my price range.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

MilSpec.45
02-15-2007, 3:23 PM
1911's are way overrated! :eek: :eek:

:rolleyes: j/k.

I have a Springfield and I like it a lot. :)

donger
02-15-2007, 4:23 PM
A P220 is a way better gun.:rolleyes:

Edited to add: I'm kidding, a P220 is fine sidearm, I have one, but I also have 3 1911's.

Cbieling
02-15-2007, 4:26 PM
List,

As of late I have been quoting and selling alot more Kimbers for some reason then any other 1911 style.

Thanks,
Chris

EricCartmann
02-15-2007, 4:42 PM
A P220 is a way better gun.:rolleyes:

Edited to add: I'm kidding, a P220 is fine sidearm, I have one, but I also have 3 1911's.

Yeah but the topic is "1911 choices" ;)

I can see why you would own 3 different 1911's because there is so much variety for 1911's but why would you want to own more than one P220? :D

OK I better stop. I will post no more in the this thread. :D

Tzvia
02-15-2007, 7:02 PM
I would look also at the Colt XSE. It's a series 80 but with better sights. As for the trigger, mine is just great and I expect it to smooth out a little with use (only have about 500 rounds through mine). Mine's very accurate, well regulated out of the box and has a balanced feel. I was going back and fourth between the XSE and the Series 80, and the better sights won out. It's worth the extra bucks.

rorschach
02-16-2007, 12:26 AM
I like the XSE very much (especially the stainless commander model) it has most of the stuff I like on a 1911. The only thing stopping me from buying one is the darn Series 80 FP safety.

I used to take issue with forward cocking serrations, preferring the classic "slab sided" 1911 look, but I dont even notice them anymore.

randy
02-16-2007, 2:02 AM
Here goes. You are looking at some guns that cost around a grand, and you want to keep it for a long time. Since we are in ca here's what I would do. Look at a bunch of custom guns talk to people about what they like and don't like, good features etc. Then buy the cheapest SA and find a great gunsmith to make the pistol yours.

Some options you might like. High cut under trigger guard, 20 or 30 lpi checkering Kings .250 radius cut beavertail checkered in 20 or 30 lpi Smith & Alexander funnel blended and or frame cut fit checkered in 20 or 30 lpi. Bo Mar, Heinie or Novak sites. Cylinder and Slide trigger group. Kings ambi safety or single sided. Forward cocking serrations. Ed Brown extended mag release. (not the competition model) Lowered and flared ejection port, extend ejector.
Dovetail front site. 3 pound trigger.
On stainless guns you don't have refinish after work is done.

If the guns shoots well no need to change the barrel or bushing until it doesn't shoot well.

Now you've spent more $$$ than what you were looking at but you don't have to do all this at once and you'll have your gun personalized the way you like it and it won't look or be like the guys on your right and left

good luck

cgmoe
02-16-2007, 4:58 AM
FKM,

I don't have any personal experience with any of the 1911's you are considering, but I noticed Buds has a great deal on the SIG GSR

Check it out
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534321

If I had the $$$ my first choice would be a Springfield TRP, but this SIG seems like a deal at 1/2 the price.

FatKatMatt
02-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I was searching busgunshop.com and all the choices I listed are around the same price, as of yesterday, on that site. I got a chance to shoot a Kimber Custom II yesterday, really like it, so I'm going to get one of those, probably the Royal II from my local gunshop.

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it. On another note, what are good mags to buy for a 1911? I hear Wilson's are good but I'm a bit ignorant on this subject.

Thanks again,
Matt.

tackdrivr
02-16-2007, 10:14 AM
The Wilson mags are a great way to go. I like the 7 rounders.

I've been shooting 1911s for 35 years.

My choice is the Les Baer TRS. A little pricey, but an awesome gun.

rorschach
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM

I am seriously considering a TRS, seems like a year and a half ago, they were only 1400 bucks, now they're almost as much as a Wilson CQB!

I guess you get what you pay for.

tackdrivr
02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I am seriously considering a TRS, seems like a year and a half ago, they were only 1400 bucks, now they're almost as much as a Wilson CQB!

I guess you get what you pay for.

I have two of them and they are super guns. They're real tight at first, but they run. Keep it well lubed. They are superbly accurate. The slime line grips and checkering glue it to your hand. In the end it's a simple no frills gun. We've sold a bunch of them and thus far none of them have had any issues.

Back in the day I shot custom series 70 colts. I still have a few, but the TRS is every bit as nice. The only thing it needs is a steady diet of ammo.

stevie
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM

So whats your price on the TRS? Any Calgun discount?

Can't hurt to ask. :D

donger
02-16-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm down for a TRS discount.

Thanks Fred.:D

E. Fudd
02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=tackdrivr]The slime line grips and checkering glue it to your hand. In the end it's a simple no frills gun. QUOTE]

Slime glueing the grip to your hand? Euwww.... Quick, get a patent on it! "Shooter's Goo" Ad slogan: "We'll stick it to you!" :p

Wrt mags: Chip McCormick Power Mags or Wilsons, w/ the edge going to Power Mags, imho.

tackdrivr
02-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm down for a TRS discount.

Thanks Fred.:D

I've been thinking about doing something for the Cal Guns folks.

Maybe a discounted training class if there's enough interest. I'll post a thread when I come up with something. I don't want to hi jack this mans thread.