PDA

View Full Version : 80% AK Lower

ATS76
02-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Is it legal to build an AK with fixed magazine from an 80% receiver? If yes, how can I register it after completion? Thank you.

I should explain it more:
My out-of-state friend has an untouched Coldsteel Solution 80% AK receiver with rail, $52. He is no longer interested in building an AK and wants to mail it to me free. If I build an AK, there will be no evil features. A completed lower receiver will cost about $100 + 60 + 2 trips to a 01 FFL.
Did anyone build an AK with a Coldsteel Solution 80% receiver?

SemiAutoSam
02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
register it ? WHY ?

Is it legal to build an AK with fixed magazine from an 80% receiver? If yes, how can I register it after completion? Thank you.

bwiese
02-15-2007, 12:06 PM
If you were to build such a receiver/rifle, just make sure the receiver has a unique serial # on it. That could be "Billy Bob #1".

You do not have to register a long gun, and you cannot make this into an assault weapon configuration, as registration is not open for AWs.

I'm not terribly familiar w/AK full auto stuff but make sure you have good instructions/planse for your AK receiver and that you don't have any nasty extra holes drilled in combination with any full auto parts. Even if installed, there are issues of 'constructive possession' and one Calgunner has been already bee popped for these issues (non-AR/AK receiver + separate parts kit).

That said, there's little reason to build your own receiver, there are quality off-list AK receivers out very cheap there that are unquestionably semiauto and sold for semiauto purposes.

pksbshp
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Even if you wanted to register it, you can't. The registration period ended a long time ago, unless the DOJ want's to update the list....then you can....but will they???.....:confused: You want to have a fully functional gun right? Well legally you can't here in cali at least not at the moment.

chiefcrash
02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Even if you wanted to register it, you can't. The registration period ended a long time ago, unless the DOJ want's to update the list....then you can....but will they???.....:confused: You want to have a fully functional gun right? Well legally you can't here in cali at least not at the moment.

even if the DOJ wants to update the list, they can't. The lost the ability to list as of 1/1/07

as for "fully functional gun", you can have a full functional gun. It just either needs to have a fixed magazine, or no flash hider/pistol grip/forward vertical grip/flare launcher/collapsing or folding stock

taquito971
02-15-2007, 1:11 PM
Yes, you can build your own AK type rifle with a fixed magazine from an 80% reciever.

You do not need to register it, long guns are not registered.

Brian

pksbshp
02-15-2007, 1:13 PM
as for "fully functional gun", you can have a full functional gun. It just either needs to have a fixed magazine, or no flash hider/pistol grip/forward vertical grip/flare launcher/collapsing or folding stock

come'on....you know what I mean.....detachable mag, flash hider/pistol grip/etc...all the good stuff, or I should have said configured like a registered AW.

chiefcrash
02-15-2007, 1:29 PM
come'on....you know what I mean.....detachable mag, flash hider/pistol grip/etc...all the good stuff, or I should have said configured like a registered AW.

unless one of the following happens, you can not legally have a AK type rifle configured like a registered AW:

repeal of AW ban
You become a law enforcement officer
some unforseen court case that desides to change the AW laws, causing a registration period to open
CA government being overthrown

in other words: you're screwed for now

grammaton76
02-15-2007, 1:31 PM
You forgot: You are outside of the state at the time the features are installed, and the features are removed prior to returning. :)

SemiAutoSam
02-15-2007, 1:36 PM
OK this works for me

Lets see Kest = GOV Gene your AG. Bill hmmm Lt Gov, Kenc9 SOS, Me= Minister of media relations ? Xeno = State Armorer.

CA government being overthrown

JPglee1
02-15-2007, 2:19 PM
Is it legal to build an AK with fixed magazine from an 80% receiver? ?

Yes, its 100% legal.

I used an 80% laser cut U-weld-it flat to build my 9mm carbine.

J