PDA

View Full Version : Santa Margarita - Pendleton Shoots

67Roadster
02-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Anyone a member of Santa Margarita Gun Club that shoots at Pendleton?

Any info on this club you can provide? Are they really serious shooters or is it more casual?

Thanks.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I am a newly minted member of the SMGC, and thus far have been to one practice session and one day of matches (in January of this year). We have a practice set for this Saturday and matches the following Sat-Sun.

I don't know what you would consider serious versus casual, but this group is all about NRA/CMP High Power Shooting and is run by retired Marines and a Sailor or two. The club charter provides that it is always to have a majority of active duty and retired military as members. I am one of the token civvies. :) I was invited to a practice session by another CalGunner who is an active duty Marine at Camp Pendleton. We have the use of the 600 yard Wilcox Range at Camp Pendleton for scheduled practices and matches, and it's a great bunch of friendly, knowledgable guys and gals and has an active junior program as well. It all seems to be pretty much "by the book" to me, but I have no other experience by which to judge it. I'm just happy to have the opportunity to be a part of it. I'm a rank beginner and complete rookie at high power shooting, and everyone there has been very helpful and welcoming and willing to help me learn the sport.

If you go to the club's website at www.santamargaritagunclub.org you will find lots of info and e-mail addresses at which the leadership can be contacted for futher information.

Hope that helps!:)

ocabj
02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I haven't shot at an SGMC match yet, but I'm registered for the Feb 24th XTC match.

The SGMC website is a bit outdated. There is a forum that you can post to.

If you want a copy of the schedules and match entry form, PM and I'll email you the latest PDFs.

The Wilcox range is the same range used for the CMP Western Games and Creedmoor Cup events.

Nile
02-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Come and shoot a match. Feb 24 2007 sign up is 6:30 to 7:15 am. Saturday will be an across course 2,3,600 yd and Sunday will be a 3X600 yd match. I believe match fees are $35.00 or $40.00. Match is held on Wilcox range #103.Go thru the main gate and they will tell you how to get to the range. Great match both civilian and military shooters. See you there. Nile

Pthfndr
02-15-2007, 2:32 PM
I'm not a member, but I have shot a couple HP matches there when my son was based at Pendleton. Good people. Nice range. Predictable wind.

Unless things have changed, unlike most XC HP courses, you can't drive from one firiing line to the next. You have to tote ALL your stuff. so make sure you have a suitable means of hauling your equipment around. Range cart, wagon, etc.

At one state match, a guy who hadn't shot there before ran out to a hardware store and came back with a garbage can with wheels! Hey, what ever works, right.

67Roadster
02-15-2007, 3:52 PM
If I want to shoot do I need to make arrangements to get on the base?

M1's OK?

I ask because the Armory of Orange folded so their are no more matches at Lytle Creek.

ocabj
02-15-2007, 4:01 PM
Just to through the Main Gate if you don't have military privileges. Stay in the far right lane when entering the gate. Inform the sentry that you are going to the Wilcox range for the match. Make sure your firearms are unloaded and in a locked container. While not necessarily a State law for all firearms, the sentry will want it locked.

Nile
02-15-2007, 4:04 PM
JUST TELL THE MAIN GATE YOU ARE SHOOTING WITH THE SMGC ON RANGE 103. M1'S OK!. iNTRODUCE YOURSELF TO THE LINE OFFICER, DAVE JORDON HE WILL LIKE YOU RIGHT OFF HE'S AN M1 SHOOTER.

Nile
02-15-2007, 4:07 PM
Make sure you have your driver licence, registration and vehicle insurance info at the ready.

Pthfndr
02-15-2007, 6:09 PM
One more thing.

DON'T SPEED ON BASE!

That is a BIG no no.

Gunsrruss
02-15-2007, 8:40 PM
JUST TELL THE MAIN GATE YOU ARE SHOOTING WITH THE SMGC ON RANGE 103. M1'S OK!. iNTRODUCE YOURSELF TO THE LINE OFFICER, DAVE JORDON HE WILL LIKE YOU RIGHT OFF HE'S AN M1 SHOOTER.

Dave is a retired naval aviator with a purple heart. He looks gruff, but he's lamb. Just walk up to him and pat him on the butt, and say"howdy Cuzz". You and he will hit it off real well.

67Roadster
02-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Oh, I'll be sure to do that :)