PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44mag

igorts
02-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Anybody got one? any review on it?
I'm looking to replace my S&W 629 6.5" for this one as a backup gun.
any pro or cons?
Thanks

SnWnMe
02-15-2007, 6:24 PM
I saw one @ SoCal Guns in San Diego. I was surprised at how big it is in real life.

metalhead357
02-15-2007, 6:39 PM
any pro or cons?
Thanks

Nope....but when/if you hit the 25 necessary posts to sell stuff--- let me know where ya' are and how much ya' want for the 629............ you might have already found a buyer depending on price/location/condition.

But again- before the mods come down hard; dont bother answering until you're 25+ posts!!!!!

tankerman
02-15-2007, 7:45 PM
any pro or cons?
Thanks
The only con is that your risking your life by counting on a Ruger Double action as your back up gun.

metalhead357
02-15-2007, 9:45 PM
The only con is that your risking your life by counting on a Ruger Double action as your back up gun.

Pray tell! What is wrong with Rugers? Nothing out of the 'norm' that cant also be said of S&W.... the rugers are built like brick-outhouses:D So while they aint always pretty- they are always functionals to the best of my knowlege..............

((and please, not a thread about MR. Ruger:rolleyes: ))

ivanimal
02-16-2007, 4:40 AM
I have a small barreled 44 mag and it hurts to shoot. The recoil is ungodly. I am 6-3 260 so I can take some recoil. Shoot a short 44 mag before you decide. I did not, and now my brother has a new back up gun for bear hunting. I have 2 6" Rugers and I love em.

tankerman
02-16-2007, 5:41 AM
Pray tell! What is wrong with Rugers? Nothing out of the 'norm' that cant also be said of S&W.... the rugers are built like brick-outhouses:D So while they aint always pretty- they are always functionals to the best of my knowlege..............

((and please, not a thread about MR. Ruger:rolleyes: ))

I purchased a Super redhawk 454.
1)Chambers were so off that cases would not eject without the use of a rod and hammer.
2) Cylinder would over rotate and skip rounds all the time
3) Cylinder/barrel alignmemt were way off and the gun would shoot lead/copper out the leftside.
But Ruger fixed it all, this was a brand new gun and I had to pay for shipping and they refused to pay me back. So I guess you the outhouse part correct.

scootergmc
02-16-2007, 6:02 AM
any pro or cons?
Thanks

When you mean backup gun, do you mean, "I'm hunting bear in Alaska and need a backup gun," or "I'm looking for a carry backup gun?" Because it's not a small gun at all. Not small. Period.

metalhead357
02-16-2007, 6:15 AM
I purchased a Super redhawk 454.
1)Chambers were so off that cases would not eject without the use of a rod and hammer.
2) Cylinder would over rotate and skip rounds all the time
3) Cylinder/barrel alignmemt were way off and the gun would shoot lead/copper out the leftside.
But Ruger fixed it all, this was a brand new gun and I had to pay for shipping and they refused to pay me back. So I guess you the outhouse part correct.

Thank you for that. Chalk one up on the "bad" colum for Ruger in my book~ that does seem a little outta the norm of a broken spring, fudged sights, or the related.

Ivan- I hear ya'! I love shooting the big caliber guns for the very simple fact that then when I shoot the 'smaller' caliber ones the recoil is so much less by comparison its hard hard not to laugh at the recoil:D

Californio
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM
.44spl load is just right for a 3", make my magnums big and heavy with 6.5" barrels, please;)

Have you considered a Freedom Arms SA

http://www.freedomarms.com/

Big heavy bullets and gun that can handle the recoil?

I doubt DA is a factor with loads heavy enough to stop a bear.

leelaw
02-16-2007, 12:23 PM
I have a small barreled 44 mag and it hurts to shoot. The recoil is ungodly. I am 6-3 260 so I can take some recoil. Shoot a short 44 mag before you decide. I did not, and now my brother has a new back up gun for bear hunting. I have 2 6" Rugers and I love em.

you should have tried the 4" S&W 500 at the Shoot-N-Que over the summer. Ouch! :p

ivanimal
02-16-2007, 11:59 PM
you should have tried the 4" S&W 500 at the Shoot-N-Que over the summer. Ouch! :p

I avoided it on purpose thankyouverymuch.