PDA

View Full Version : Did I just break my husband's shotgun? :(

Narumi
10-26-2011, 1:22 PM
Hi everybody. Just in case, this isn't a joke post, it's a genuine question. (I know the title sounds bad...)

So, I was cleaning some stuff and had put my husband's shotgun on top of the safe. However, I bumped against it and it fell on the ground. :facepalm:
(It was brand new from the shop, and of course unloaded. I'm not completely stupid. Although I do realize some level of stupidity was going on or it wouldn't have fallen, so please don't throw rocks too hard. :p)

It seems to be okay, but I'm not knowledgeable in shotguns and was worried the fall might have somehow damaged it.

It's a Mossberg, actually not a Mossberg, it's a Remington 870, (not the normal one but the police type, if that changes anything).

By the time I turned around it was already on the ground so I can't be 100% sure but I believe it fell muzzle first or partially sideways.

It looks fine and it pumps just fine, but I wanted to ask just in case. Do you think it could have sustained any damage, or should it be fine? (Obviously, we'll take it to the range sometime, but I wanted to ask also, as I'm feeling so guilty at the thought I might have damaged his new baby before he even got to try it. :( )

I figure those things are made to sustain a lot more abuse than just falling from the safe, but well, this isn't an AK, so I was worried.

--------

Edit: Oops. I did mean a Remington 870, of course, not a Mossberg 870. Wow, that sounded stupid. The barrel is made by Mossberg as a replacement barrel for a Remington 870, which is what caught my eye and made me write something stupid-sounding.

Thank you to everybody who answered! :)

And of course I was going to tell him, I just posted to have other people's opinions first, since I was worried about the gun being okay. :)

Us3rName
10-26-2011, 1:28 PM
I think you should be fine. I've banged my mossy many times on walls or straight drops to the ground. Its the beater gun. Banged up everywhere but works every time.

Cycle it, make sure its not snagging. There's not too many small parts for it to be damaged easily.

Ed_Hazard
10-26-2011, 1:30 PM
Assumeing it's a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 it should be fine. The only damage I could imagine from a fall like that would be deformation of the muzzle, dent in the barrel or magtube. These would be fairly eveident to the eye.

AAShooter
10-26-2011, 1:30 PM
Yes, you broke it . . . you can make good by buying him many, many more guns. :43:

It is probably a Remington 870 Police Magnum. It is probably fine . . . most likely a little cosmetic damage. It sounds like it looks good to you. Unfortunately without inspecting it is hard to give a solid answer.

RustyMacHine
10-26-2011, 1:35 PM
:oji:Why did you put it on top of the safe? :facepalm:
There that was a tiny pebble.;)

Welcome to CalGuns!

DVSmith
10-26-2011, 1:37 PM
Tell him what happened and have him check it out. Highly unlikely that you hurt it, but he should know before he takes it out shooting.

intheknow
10-26-2011, 1:39 PM
Tell him what happened and have him check it out. Highly unlikely that you hurt it, but he should know before he takes it out shooting.

nah dont say a word hahahaa

aippi
10-26-2011, 1:44 PM
If this is a ligit post, and I don't think it is then.......Don't mess with it, don't even touch it as it appears you don't know what model it is or how to operate it. Do what DV said, tell your husband so he can check the weapon out before he fires it as he needs to safety check it first.

infernl
10-26-2011, 1:44 PM
nah dont say a word hahahaa

Really? I'd want my wife to tell me.
-So I could dot her eye...

I keed! I keed!!!

m03
10-26-2011, 1:50 PM
Leave it sitting where he has a 100% chance of knocking it over without seeing it, then as soon as you hear it hit the ground, come into the room and exclaim "WHAT'D YOU DO?"

Then it will be his fault :)

Narumi
10-26-2011, 2:22 PM
Thank you so much, everybody who replied to my post!

I was of course going to tell him, I just asked here first because I was worried about whether the gun was okay, and thought it would be nice to get the opinion of more knowledgeable people first, so I could know whether to worry more or be reassured. :)

He will of course inspect it in detail before going to the range, but at least now when he gets home I can say "I dropped your gun... but it's probably going to be okay, hopefully", instead of "I think I broke your new gun", since the latter would probably give him a heart-attack, haha.

I love guns too but I'm more interested in handguns and some bolt-action rifles, and I never dropped any before so I was worried that shotguns might be more delicate than they may seem.

There that was a tiny pebble.;)

Welcome to CalGuns!

Thanks! :) And yeah, I still feel stupid about that!

If this is a ligit post, and I don't think it is then.......Don't mess with it, don't even touch it as it appears you don't know what model it is or how to operate it. Do what DV said, tell your husband so he can check the weapon out before he fires it as he needs to safety check it first.

It's definitely a legit post, I'm just not knowledgeable in shotguns.
I just had a slip when typing the maker of the gun. It's a Remington 870 of course, but with a Mossberg replacement barrel, and the latter was the name in my mind because I had inspected it after dropping it and the logo on the barrel caught my eye, so I accidentally typed Mossberg...

Of course, we'll check the gun before firing it. But thank you for the advice, it's best to always be on the safe side! :)

Leave it sitting where he has a 100% chance of knocking it over without seeing it, then as soon as you hear it hit the ground, come into the room and exclaim "WHAT'D YOU DO?"

LOL

SchooBaka
10-26-2011, 2:37 PM

LoL, reminded me of the movie Tommy Boy: 1:40 into the vid.
U-xFypjUqTM

Just fess up before you go shooting so he can check it out. Better to say so now than after something goes wrong at the range. :oops:

MrExel17
10-26-2011, 2:42 PM
Your in trouble!!!!! I suggest you buy him a handgun, just to work out the dents,scratches, and hurt! Or just don't tell him.

You should be okay, :thumbsup:

greybeard
10-26-2011, 2:57 PM
Not a stone yet. Who put it on top of the safe?

MARLANDO
10-26-2011, 3:01 PM
:useless:

Barbarossa
10-26-2011, 3:43 PM
I find it curious that you know where the latch to pump the 870 is.

audiopro74
10-26-2011, 6:34 PM
I find it curious that you know where the latch to pump the 870 is.

Why. She said she is a shooter, I am sure her husband went over how it works for her. I showed my ex how to run an 870, and told her this is how pupm guns function. When I bought my 590, the first thing she asked was where the pump releast was.

hcbr
10-26-2011, 7:58 PM
You're fine, those guns are tough so nothing too much to worry about.

bubbapug1
10-26-2011, 8:45 PM
You only broke it if he figures out you broke it...

Bert Gamble
10-26-2011, 9:28 PM
Wouldn't be too concerned

BayAreaShooter
10-26-2011, 9:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about it very much. Have him look it over and be done with it.

CSACANNONEER
10-26-2011, 9:49 PM
If a little fall broke it, it was a POS in the first place. While hunting, many 500s and 870s have seen much more abuse than one little fall from a few feet off the ground. Don't worry.

As far as her knowing how to work the action, did any of you guys even consider the possibility that she might have more experience shooting than her husband? Maybe she taught him how to shoot. You guys should stop being so sexist.

Wherryj
10-27-2011, 4:20 PM

That would be precisely how my wife would handle the situation.