PDA

View Full Version : Ocotillo wind farm proposed, Huge BLM land grab! (construction begun)

CessnaDriver
10-26-2011, 7:49 AM
Does huge wind farm fit near Borrego park?
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/23/does-huge-wind-farm-fit-near-borrego-state-park/
"The plans must be approved by Imperial County and the federal government since most of the windmills would be on public land maintained by the Bureau of Land Management. The proposal calls for as many as 155 massive wind turbines on almost 13,000 acres near the community of Ocotillo just north of Interstate 8 and just east of the Imperial County line."

I'm sure many of us shoot here......

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/CessnaDriver/OcotilloExpressoverview.jpg

MudCamper
10-26-2011, 8:00 AM
America needs more energy. More energy generation systems is good.

paul0660
10-26-2011, 8:07 AM
“Here is a proposal to destroy 13,000 acres of our public lands for a private industrial investment zone. This site will be desecrated, but so will hundreds of thousands of acres of surrounding lands with their view shed qualities destroyed.”

Cry me a river. I like big windmills. I think they look better than a whole lot o' nothing.

GlockBlocker
10-26-2011, 8:24 AM
Cry me a river. I like big windmills. I think they look better than a whole lot o' nothing.

Wow, really guys? Maybe if that was a playground in your own back yards, you would be thinking different.

I've flown into Borrego many times, ride my street bike down there often, and go off-roading/dirt biking around there a lot.

There isn't a lot of wind compared to the farm off I10 where the wind actually has some place to go. The Octotilla/Borrego area dead ends into a mountain.

BajaJames83
10-26-2011, 8:27 AM
i love to trail ride out in octillo. hopefully it doesnt affect those areas

DWGL
10-26-2011, 9:33 AM
If they put them up they probably will make that area off limits like in Mojave where the power lines are running with the 14 . If they invest that much money you can bet they won't want us offroading , shooting or being close to their expensive installments.

CessnaDriver
10-26-2011, 9:45 AM

I agree with all of the above but wind ain't the answer.
It's a niche solution and artificially supported by fed money instead
of actual market forces. Also they wreak havoc on flying critters.
Bats among them, which I see often in that area.

We should be building more nukes!

Bottom line, this is another precious area to go shooting that could be made totally off limits.

TKM
10-26-2011, 10:51 AM
The second the .gov money finally trickles down the drain these projects are abandoned.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/02/wind_energys_ghosts_1.html

BANGBANG_SKEETSKEET
10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I know exactly where this is at and it is right next to a pretty popular shooting spot. I reallly dont want to see that spot get closed.

Turk
10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
There's been a sh*t load of people out the county supervisors meeting already fighting this thing. The good thing is it would create some temporary construction jobs in the Valley(second poorest county in the state).How many go to Imperial Valley residents ? Most likely not many. Then there will be between 6 - 8 permanent positions once finished. Just another GREEN ENERGY snow job to grab some government money

CessnaDriver
10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
I know exactly where this is at and it is right next to a pretty popular shooting spot. I reallly dont want to see that spot get closed.

A lot of folks are in opposition, tribes, conservationists, it's something to start keeping a close eye on and lend voice when possible.

This is exactly the kind of thing that ends up getting crammed down everyones throat.

wjc
10-26-2011, 2:24 PM
OP, any info or links on how to fight this?

CessnaDriver
10-26-2011, 2:40 PM
I just learned about it last night. So nothing more then what we can google up right now.

CessnaDriver
10-26-2011, 2:43 PM
We just missed a deadline to write letters.......

http://dpcinc.org/index.php/site/article/urgent_your_letters_needed_now_on_ocotillo_wind_pr oject/

paul0660
10-26-2011, 2:44 PM
Also they wreak havoc on flying critters.

This is true but the big ones are easier on birds than the small ones.

I know nothing about it otherwise, but it might be a good use of public land albeit with .gov subsidies.

At least the wind doesn't stop when the sun goes down.

MudCamper
10-26-2011, 2:58 PM
Wow, really guys? Maybe if that was a playground in your own back yards, you would be thinking different.

Actually, there is a solar project that may go in next to the Indian Valley Reservoir. When I first heard of it, I was hoping it would be on/near my property west of the reservoir. (I thought, fleetingly, "Maybe I'll get a new road courtesy of the BLM.") Sadly it's on the east side, far from me.

Maybe it's different down south. Up here there is plenty of NF and BLM land for shooting, millions of acres of it.

paul0660
10-26-2011, 3:04 PM
Actually, there is a solar project that may go in next to the Indian Valley Reservoir. When I first heard of it, I was hoping it would be on/near my property west of the reservoir. (I thought, fleetingly, "Maybe I'll get a new road courtesy of the BLM.") Sadly it's on the east side, far from me.

Maybe it's different down south. Up here there is plenty of NF and BLM land for shooting, millions of acres of it.

Indian Valley in Lake co.? Sounds like a good spot, given the burned out landscape, although it has never been windy when I was there. I guess it adds up.

ldsnet
10-26-2011, 9:04 PM
Let's see if we have this straight:
They bill us the ratepayers to build the sunrise power link to bring power from the Imperial valley.

This power generation station that is supposed to feed the powerlink doesn't even exist yet.

Then they propose to build this power plant on Federal land they don't own and won't be forced to buy to sell us the power and the power company sells bonds to build the plant so they don't even invest the Capitol in the project then the power company keeps all the profits.

The people get screwed, the community gets screwed and environment is fenced off again for yet another special interest group money game.

TrailerparkTrash
10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
I AM SOOOO SICK AND TIRED OF THESE "LAND NAZIS!!!!" THEY ALWAYS WANT TO GRAB OUR "PUBLIC" LAND AND DEPRIVE US FROM IT PERMANENTLY!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

CessnaDriver
02-12-2012, 8:04 PM
Latest and an interesting comment........

http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/8607

One resident later expressed concerns over the approval process to ECM’s editor during her visit to Jacumba this week.

“I make my living off this view,” said Ben Schultz, who operates the Desert View Tower in Jacumba, which overlooks the site of the planned Ocotillo Wind Farm. Power from the wind farm at Ocotillo, as well as the planned Tule Wind Farm in McCain Valley and other major energy projects in the works, would be routed through the ECO Substation. “McCain Valley is the last pristine corridor we have left,” he added, shaking his head in dismay.

Schultz expressed outright skepticism over last week’s CPUC hearing in Jacumba. “We ought to quit believing this is democratic process…You go to the CPUC meetings, it’s a kangaroo court.” He voiced disillusionment over other major projects, notably Sunrise Powerlink, which was approved by the CPUC despite massive community objections and serious environmental impacts.

“If people get screwed enough,” he observed, “they could resort to violence.”

swilson
02-12-2012, 8:44 PM
Awesome. That's exactly where I go shooting and camping and offroading regularly, where they already just sectioned off a nice big area for what I'm assuming is the Sunrise Powerlink, and now this. I get to lose my favorite shooting and camping spot and my tax dollars get to pay for it too. Fantastic.

Turk
02-13-2012, 3:13 PM
There building away and installing towers at a pretty good pace , came back from from S.D. a couple of weeks ago and there must have been 12 choppers flying around , some moving parts and some with lineman hanging from them. And like I said in my previous post no jobs for valley residents and now the poorest county in the state and highest unemployment in the nation.

wikioutdoor
02-13-2012, 3:47 PM
I agree with all of the above but wind ain't the answer.
It's a niche solution and artificially supported by fed money instead
of actual market forces. Also they wreak havoc on flying critters.
Bats among them, which I see often in that area.

We should be building more nukes!

Bottom line, this is another precious area to go shooting that could be made totally off limits.

dude seriously, take off the tinfoil hat. Countries like Spin brag about how they are able to provide almost 60% of the total demand with wind power alone - November 6th 2011 - Google it.

The problem I have is not the windmills, I love em. It's the fact offshore wind generation is up to 10x as efficient, can be placed beyond the horizon and very rarely do birds go out that far - and they become natural reefs for wildlife.

What I see is going to happen is they will claim the land, zone it making blm activities impossible and then either never develop it or rarely utilize the full capacity of the turbines due to overzealous tree huggers.

problemchild
02-14-2012, 3:19 PM
Hey if nothing else they make great long range moving targets. Im just saying...

(Motherland security, I am not condoning or taking part in shooting anything, its a f++king joke)

CessnaDriver
02-14-2012, 3:54 PM
dude seriously, take off the tinfoil hat. Countries like Spin brag about how they are able to provide almost 60% of the total demand with wind power alone - November 6th 2011 - Google it.

The problem I have is not the windmills, I love em. It's the fact offshore wind generation is up to 10x as efficient, can be placed beyond the horizon and very rarely do birds go out that far - and they become natural reefs for wildlife.

What I see is going to happen is they will claim the land, zone it making blm activities impossible and then either never develop it or rarely utilize the full capacity of the turbines due to overzealous tree huggers.

Spain is not Southern California.

You cannot store wind energy for when the wind stops, you cannot produce energy when the wind stops. Also rare earth metals are needed to manufacture the machinery for all this "renewable" energy, environmentalists of course block this mining in the US so it all comes from China right now.
So all these so called "green" solutions have hidden environmental price tags they will not tell you about.

Nukes are far better solution, they run most efficient at full power and they run 24/7. Or neighborhood nukes would be another great solution. Renewable is a niche solution and it always will be. Far more trouble then they are worth. I sure as hell don't want my tax money paying for it when I want it going towards nuke building.

problemchild
02-14-2012, 4:02 PM
I like solar panels. Too bad they arent made here. Easy way to fix that though. Have congress grow a spine and set of balls and stipulate that if it is sold here it has to be made here. BAM problem solved.

Spain is not Southern California.

You cannot store wind energy for when the wind stops, you cannot produce energy when the wind stops. Also rare earth metals are needed to manufacture the machinery for all this "renewable" energy, environmentalists of course block this mining in the US so it all comes from China right now.
So all these so called "green" solutions have hidden environmental price tags they will not tell you about.

Nukes are far better solution, they run most efficient at full power and they run 24/7. Or neighborhood nukes would be another great solution. Renewable is a niche solution and it always will be. Far more trouble then they are worth. I sure as hell don't want my tax money paying for it when I want it going towards nuke building.

Marthor
02-14-2012, 4:09 PM
The current design of wind turbines is retarded and a money loser.

The propellers need to be put under-ground in a tunnel. One big funnel above ground to amplify and direct the wind down into the tunnel.

Doesn't America have any good engineers anymore?

CessnaDriver
02-14-2012, 4:12 PM
I like solar panels. Too bad they arent made here. Easy way to fix that though. Have congress grow a spine and set of balls and stipulate that if it is sold here it has to be made here. BAM problem solved.

The greenies won't allow the rare earth elements mining here.
Gallium, indium is needed for solar, meanwhile prices go up.

Look at this state...

The environmentalists fight amongst themselves over solar farms because of a tortoise!

They can't even agree amongst themselves!

CessnaDriver
06-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Latest

Looks like they have successfully rammed it down everyone's throats despite protest from diverse directions for very good reasons. This sucks....

Wind farm thrusts remote desert town into future

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/11/wind-farm-thrusts-remote-desert-town-future/

H3llpl3ss
06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought part of the east of the RR tracks was a bombing range

CessnaDriver
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I thought part of the east of the RR tracks was a bombing range

This is the BLM land west of that, between the town of Ocotillo and before Borrego park land.

sd_shooter
06-12-2012, 2:09 PM
Sad news!

problemchild
06-12-2012, 6:11 PM
Where is the endangered sand flea when you need it?

littlebear44
06-17-2012, 9:45 PM
Until we, and by we i mean the tax payers and average joes, really get angry and make a stand for our rights they will keep ramming things down our throat. They constantly do whatever they think is "good" for the people. Its just like the train to nowhere, aka High speed rail, most polls i have read say california residents are opposed to it, but yet they continually ram it down our throats. And not to mention we cant afford it, $16billion deficit this coming fiscal year, and yet they estimate it'll cost another $8 billion for the train to nowhere. Until we get a serious amount of people that are pissed off and really take a stand for our constitutional rights our Politicians will keep doing these projects at a federal and local level even though people are against them.

CessnaDriver
06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
East County Magazine to form carpools from San Diego to desert vigil June 23-24

By Miriam Raftery

June 13, 2012 (Ocotillo) – As bulldozers raze their ancestors’ graves, Native American tribes across the southwest are asking for the public’s help to stop the desecration.

If you believe this heartbreak funded by taxpayer dollars is wrong, please join with tribes of all nations to take a spiritual stand together againstdespoilment of these once protected desert lands for private corporate gain.

Determined to halt the Pattern Energy's Ocotillo Express wind energy project, tribes of all nations will gather for a traditional dusk-to-dawn ceremony to mourn disruption of their ancestors' burial sites. From 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 23 to dawn on Sunday, June 24, members of the public are encouraged to join with Native American neighbors in the Ocotillo desert for these spiritual ceremonies.

This land belongs to us all. It is federal land, owned by the Bureau of Land Management. Our tax dollars are being used to subsidize the wind project, even though Native American sacred sites are protected under federal law. Thousands of artifacts, sacred geoglyphs, ceremonial sites and over a dozen burial sites have been found here. Despite this evidence, construction of over 100 turbines each over 450 feet tall has been approved on lands so sacred that local tribes believe the mountains here are where creation began.

Ocotillo is the first of 18 fast-tracked projects on formerly protected federal lands. Next up, 40 massive-scale industrial energy projects are proposed in East County, most in Cleveland National Forest or on federal BLM lands.

Robert Scheid, spokesman for the Viejas Band of the Kumeyaay Indians, warns the public that if the fast-tracking process is not stopped, “what’s happening in Ocotillo today could happen tomorrow at a park in your backyard.”
To join this event, please bring comfortable chairs and flashlights. Food and water will be provided. Alcohol and drugs are strictly prohibited. Restrictions on photography/videography will apply.

All ages are welcome, but please do not allow children to deviate from the path, since this is a wake to mourn disruption of ancestors’ sanctified burial sites.

To get there, take I-8 to the Ocotillo exit. Turn left to S-2, which is also known as the Imperial Highway. The encampment is located on S-2 approximately two miles north of the Ocotillo Community Park. Follow the directional markers and signs along S-2.

East County Magazine, has editorialized against the industrial wind project due to its destruction of Native American cultural resources, massive and irreversible environmental damage, and serious threats to the health of Ocotillo residents. ECM will lead a procession for all who are interested in carpooling from San Diego/East County to Ocotillo; details to be announced. If you wish to rideshare or drive, please contact editor@eastcountymagazine.org.

covertcombatant
06-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Could we set up eazy ups and have a build party? Just joking.
I'm sure you could get enough 4x4 people, motorcycle people, hunters, gun people, bird watchers and others to have a real big turn out. If it was done right you could have a HUGE group show up.

k1dude
06-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Where's all the liberals running to the aid of the downtrodden Indian tribes? Why aren't the EPA and Sierra Club halting construction until 20 year $500 million environmental impact studies have been completed? Why aren't the environmentalists stopping any development whatsoever of wildlands?

Oh, that's right, they're hypocrites of the first order. When a leftist administration orders the construction, liberals look the other way.

therealnickb
06-18-2012, 6:15 AM
The second the .gov money finally trickles down the drain these projects are abandoned.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/02/wind_energys_ghosts_1.html
^ This.

Al least the future hulks abandoned in our desert won't rust.:rolleyes:

CessnaDriver
06-18-2012, 6:54 AM
Where's all the liberals running to the aid of the downtrodded Indian tribes? Where's the EPA and Sierra Club halting construction until 20 year $500 million environmental impact studies have been completed? Where's the environmentalists stopping any development whatsoever of wildlands?

Oh, that's right, they're hypocrites of the first order. When a leftist administration orders the contruction, liberals look the other way.

You got it.

ICORVA
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
We wont be shooting up that wash for sometime.

Pattern Energy has the right to the land , they now can restrict use for 2 years. They also have the right to:

May 19, 2012 (Ocotillo) -- In a precedent that has horrified wildlife experts, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has authorized the “take” (meaning harassment, displacement or even death) of 10 endangered Peninsular Bighorn Sheep – five ewes and five lambs.

Petition to stop below

http://www.change.org/petitions/say-no-to-the-ocotillo-wind-energy-facility-project

They will though like the Power Link hire homeless vagabonds for security guards.

Nuff said.

CessnaDriver
07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Amazing isn't it?
If it were some other situation it would have been easily blocked by all the environmental and native American concerns.

But this states kookball green psycho fantasy agenda must prevail at all costs.

CessnaDriver
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
We wont be shooting up that wash for sometime.

Pattern Energy has the right to the land , they now can restrict use for 2 years. They also have the right to:

May 19, 2012 (Ocotillo) -- In a precedent that has horrified wildlife experts, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has authorized the “take” (meaning harassment, displacement or even death) of 10 endangered Peninsular Bighorn Sheep – five ewes and five lambs.

Petition to stop below

http://www.change.org/petitions/say-...cility-project

They will though like the Power Link hire homeless vagabonds for security guards.

Nuff said.

Full link....

http://www.change.org/petitions/say-no-to-the-ocotillo-wind-energy-facility-project