PDA

View Full Version : High Standard vs Rock Island

GW
02-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Having handled both, I cannot tell the difference but the RI is $30 more than the HS.
As I understand it, both are made by Armscor
The only difference I can see is the RIA comes with a better magazine
Am I missing anything else?

xenophobe
02-15-2007, 12:24 AM
That's probably the only difference.

azn_wrx
02-15-2007, 7:54 AM
If it walks like a duck quacks like a duck its probably a duck, or a chicken :P

Aluisious
02-15-2007, 7:58 AM
The High Standard goes bang.

Whadderyer want? :p

GW
02-15-2007, 9:38 PM
The High Standard goes bang.

Whadderyer want? :p

Well, I want it to go bang every time I pull the trigger without it going ka-boom.

What I was really wondering though was if there were any quality differences but it appears there aren't any
Therefore I will save some $$ and go with the High Standard

gotgunz
02-15-2007, 10:09 PM
The Rock has a better warranty I believe. If you have a problem with the Rock you send it to Nv, The HS??? don't know where you would send it... Service after the sale is probably worth more than $30 if you should need assistance.

FatKatMatt
02-15-2007, 10:15 PM
I shot a Rock Island G.I. today, it jammed every few rounds and the Novak magazine had numerous failures to feed. I'd stay away from the RIA's if I were you, and the hammer also bites if you have meaty hands (I don't attribute this to the RIA, but to the design of the hammer). If you MUST get an RIA, I'd get the Tactical. At least it has the beavertail.

Aluisious
02-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, I want it to go bang every time I pull the trigger without it going ka-boom.

What I was really wondering though was if there were any quality differences but it appears there aren't any
Therefore I will save some $$ and go with the High Standard
Hah, I wish I'd saved on the HS :mad:

CACitUP
02-16-2007, 9:31 AM
I purchased a Rock Island from Classic Arms last year. I think it was roughly $289 ($300 delivered). I gutted it and rebuilt the thing for the hell of it. Look at some of my past posts and you can take a look. Havent had any problems what so ever with the gun. No FTF, no stove pipes....nada. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Ivan on the 1911 forum is always available to service the guns (he is the NA importer).

I passed on the HS because it was more expensive back then. It appears that RI has made a name for itself and are charging more for their guns. Both guns are identicle.

Craig

dwtt
02-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Having handled both, I cannot tell the difference but the RI is $30 more than the HS.
As I understand it, both are made by Armscor
The only difference I can see is the RIA comes with a better magazine
Am I missing anything else?
I don't know if the magazines you will get with your Rock Island are the same as mine, but I got Novak magazines from Sarco. I also bought some Chip McCormick magazines and both work fine on the Rock Island with 230gr ball ammo. When I went to shoot SWC lead reloads, then I got some feeding problems, but it was because the gun doesn't like this bullet. If you ever go to Chabot, I can drop by and let you shoot my Rock Island, but you'll have to supply your own ammo. I'm a Cheapskate. :)

GW
02-19-2007, 8:28 PM
The magazine that comes with the HS is stamped Colt, but on another forum I was told It ain't really Colt and it is "one of the world's worst magazines"

No worries though as I have lots of Wilsons.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't make it to Chabot I shoot at Metcalfe Rd in San Jose