PDA

View Full Version : Perris california outdoor range?

951temec
10-25-2011, 5:14 PM
I went there once awhile ago, google brings up nothing.

it was a range where you can go out and shoot, friend of mine took me one time

scoutpup99
10-25-2011, 5:42 PM
there are 2 private ranges in perris. The Rockpile and Maywood Rod and Gun. Both of them are off of christmas tree lane.

951temec
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
type in these coordinates at google maps and it will help you find either one. May wood is the first one you come to and Rock pile is further down.

yep, its maywood

thank you, is there a list of the free gun ranges like maywood?
i was told it was public property designated for shooting
so it wasn't really a range.

also, how do i get there by car, last time i went there it was only assessable by a larger truck. i drive a civic

boltmopar
10-26-2011, 7:42 AM
I'm not too sure about Maywood. I think it is a private Gun CLub and they only have a hundred members at any given time. I have never talked to anyone about it to confirm, soit is all heresay. You should be able to reach Maywood with no problem, it is paved all the way to it. Maywood is across from some nursey. The palnt kind, not kid kind. If you pass those you will continue to a dirt road and follow it to the right, it should take you past some big satellite dishes and you continue up the road. If you google rockpile perris,ca, it should give you a website to contact them. The area will let you get a membership for 150 all year. It's worth it if you shoot a lot. I go about every two weeks. If you would like to go to rockpile send me a pm.

msand951
10-26-2011, 9:56 AM
Someone told me about that free range. Ive never been to it but can you guys send me the coordinates ive tried to find it but cant.

Mongoblack23
10-26-2011, 6:04 PM
^^^ thats pretty much it. i got (REMOVED).... just be aware of the other people up there, especially on the weekends. and please clean up after yourself....

-edited to removes coordinates.-

Chaos47
10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks

SteveSatch
10-27-2011, 4:24 PM
Anyone else try it in a car? I drive a little Nissan Versa hatchback. I'd rather not damage the undercarriage : )

boltmopar
10-27-2011, 5:46 PM
^^^^
It can be done, there is an older man that drives his towncar to Rockpile.

SteveSatch
10-27-2011, 6:58 PM
I'll try it in my car then : ) Anyone up for a mini Calguns meetup?

boltmopar
10-27-2011, 7:20 PM
speeedracerr already hit me up about going to rock pile. You can bring guests, but not sure if I will go this weekend, but will for sure next weekend.

SteveSatch
10-27-2011, 8:45 PM
Hey 951temec, I'm next door to you in Murrieta. Let me know if you want to try out the free shooting place right next to Maywood. Neither of us have trucks so it will be an adventure.

Etihtsarom
10-27-2011, 9:50 PM
Please consider deleting or editing your posts in this thread to remove the coordinates to SteelPeak.

That spot is already really dirty and needs a massive clean up, posting it up will only make it worse as more people come. Most Calgun people will clean up after themselves, but the general public might not, so feel free to share it via PM, but remove it from the public posts. Please.
Thanks again.

Chaos47
10-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks

951temec
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
^^^^
It can be done, there is an older man that drives his towncar to Rockpile.

we had trouble in a lifted tacoma, i think rockpile is a different route?

yeah i'll come to a little murrieta-temecula meetup, i think it would be like 3 of us though haha

pietropau9
10-28-2011, 6:04 AM
we had trouble in a lifted tacoma, i think rockpile is a different route?

yeah i'll come to a little murrieta-temecula meetup, i think it would be like 3 of us though haha

pm me when you want to go. I have a truck and you can put your stuff back there. I wouldnt recommend a car. I work Sun, mon, tues nights so I'm open during the day. Earlier the better. Hit me up.

boltmopar
10-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Maybe steel peak is different, but my brothers stock s10 made it no problem to the rockpile

valkylrie
10-28-2011, 2:10 PM
I used to have a membership to the RockPile, but I have not been shooting as much as I would like this last year and let it Lapse, I never knew about the "Free" range in that area, So if someone would not mind PMing me the coord. I would be thankful...

SteveSatch
10-28-2011, 7:32 PM
I'm thinking the BLM land by Maywood for a meetup.

ls2monaro
10-29-2011, 10:53 AM
you definitely need a truck or something with some clearance there is a nice dip getting to the spot and I have never seen a car at the spot. You could park on the nearby road but it would be quite a hump to get to the spot. Also please keep the spot low key it already gets busy on the weekends.

SteveSatch
10-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Rats, well I'm looking to hitch a ride up to the BLM spot then : ) Saturdays work best for me, but I do sometimes have time off during the week around certain holidays. I'm just a normal dude from Murrieta who only gets to shoot once in a blue moon. Mid 40's, wife, two kids, and I teach second grade. I tend to shoot ammo I can afford (9mm, .22, maybe my SKS) at reactive targets.
Steve

haroldbluetooth
11-01-2011, 8:00 AM
im interested, too. weekdays are good for me.
maybe we can organize a visit and clean up.......

Etihtsarom
11-01-2011, 1:51 PM
you definitely need a truck or something with some clearance there is a nice dip getting to the spot and I have never seen a car at the spot. You could park on the nearby road but it would be quite a hump to get to the spot. Also please keep the spot low key it already gets busy on the weekends.

It's not that bad, my Civic made it up there. Just don't try in the wet season.

Etihtsarom
11-01-2011, 2:01 PM
If enough people want to get together to help clean up and shoot, we could organize it for one of these days in the coming holiday season.

Post your interest here, what you can bring, how many people, what time/date etc...
It's a nice spot, the time and effort we put in to keep it clean will make it worth it.

M1 Dave
11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm down for a meet/shoot/cleanup anytime as long as its after Tuesday as I pick up my M1A that day.

I'd like to also mention I'm not a new member here. Been a calgunner since 06 but I forgot my password.

Zen Mechanic
11-06-2011, 8:58 AM
Temecula/Murrieta guys. I've been up to the Perris BLM in my f150 no problem. Drove out to scope it out once, haven't shot there yet.

I'm in French Valley off Winchester Rd., so let me know if you guys plan a date. I have several Bee Cyn buddies that would be down to go.

SteveSatch
11-10-2011, 7:28 PM
How about Saturday 11-19 for a Perris BLM mini meet and shoot?

drifter2be
11-15-2011, 5:16 PM
That sounds good, I'd definitely like to go shooting this weekend.

VCMike
11-16-2011, 4:48 AM
I might be available for Saturday the 19th for cleanup and shoot, what time are we thinking? Will someone please pm me the coordinates?

SteveSatch
11-16-2011, 6:06 AM
How about Saturday 11-19 for a Perris BLM mini meet and shoot?

Looks like I'll be in OC doing a PPT this Saturday. How about Sunday or the following Saturday (might be busy there or empty with Thanksgiving weekend)?

VCMike
11-16-2011, 6:34 AM
Bummer, Sunday won't work for me. Maybe the next Saturday.

SteveSatch
11-16-2011, 4:10 PM
Let's try to get a shoot together for Saturday 11-26 then!

VCMike
11-16-2011, 6:29 PM
I think Saturday Will work for me. Steve, You can ride in with me if you would like, just PM me and let me know.

Chaos47
11-17-2011, 2:45 AM
nearly 900 views you guys need to let this thread die or this location is going to get destroyed and shut down...

JoeM
11-18-2011, 8:11 PM
I went there today and it was a wreck. People have thrashed it since the last time I was there 2 weeks ago. Two guys were there early this afternoon when I showed up and they were doing some extremely fast firing of a very large cal rifle. Possibly hicap too. Seems so reckless that I turned around and walked back down to my car. Didn't feel safe shooting out there with them nearby. I drove over to the Rock Pile to see if I might be able to get access, and then I went home. Honestly, between the glass, the trash, and all the spent shotgun and pistol shells, I'm surprised BLM hasn't closed it down already. Bummer. Maybe it's time to join the Rock Pile after all.

Zen Mechanic
11-18-2011, 9:41 PM
We're doing Bee Canyon (it's open) on Sunday morning. Anyone interested?

cdownin
11-19-2011, 6:44 AM
It would be cool to do a clean up I'm in can someone please pm me the coordinates these two spots (fixed)

Thanks

Eat Dirt
11-19-2011, 6:54 AM
:hide:

Tagged

cdownin
11-19-2011, 7:02 AM
:hide:

Tagged

Does this mean do not spell it correct to make it searchable. If so I fixed my post.

Sleighter
11-19-2011, 9:22 AM
I live in rancho cucamonga and would be in for a meet and shoot to help clean up the area. I have a truck and can haul garbage out. Please pm me the coordinates. I'm interested in meeting other calgunners in the area.

integraracer157
11-19-2011, 9:59 AM
im down for the clean and shoot, but its west riverside county. i thought blm or not its illegal.

stilly
01-04-2012, 7:51 PM
Yeah, those spots mentioned are NOT within the Perris city limits. They are considered Riverside County. I know because there is only one spot in Perris to shoot and that is at the old police range that has been lost to the tweakers and homeless and then finally in the last battle The homeless were removed but the range still died. It is only visited by a handful of city employees now who want to shoot from time to time.

JoeM
01-07-2012, 4:58 PM
BLM manages "public land" and there are rules you must follow to 'legally' shoot on it. Their regulations are here http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/hunting.html You guys already know that so I'm just saying it for any new people who might be reading along.

The spot in Perris is approved for target shooting. But one either have to drive a truck up the dirt road to get to the shooting spot, or hike in to get to it. I've not seen a 4-door sedan make it because some of the ruts are too deep. Just park by the telephone pole.

About two weeks ago I went by there and it looked like the city dump! Lots of shotgun hulls, wooden trash, paper trash, empty shell boxes, brass, plastic and glass... it's turned into a filthy wreck. Why can't people pick up after themselves? And I certainly don't feel very safe when kids wearing all black clothes are firing 20 and 30 round mags at the rocks...some of these kids firing from the back of their SUVs. People not being aware of where their muzzle was pointing. Yeah, this is a place where I want to take my family!

If BLM would provide dumpsters so we could put the trash in them, that would be a big help. Maybe some people would use them. I take my trash with me when I leave there hoping to be an example to others. But for me, I need to find another location. This place has gone to the dogs. No offense to my Calguns friends!

You can call the Palm Springs field office or check their website for details and requirements on shooting at this place. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palmsprings.

CDC54
01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I just was out there this morning and was gonna shoot on that land but saw two Code Enforcement suv's driving out towards The Rockpile.

Is that Public land next to Maywood legal to target shoot at ? And do the code enforcement have any power there or is it Sheriffs that regulate that area ?

BTW because I didn't shoot out there today I did spend about an hour bagging up crap and taking it down the the street.

Akers
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Another Murrieta guy here that is willing to get together to find some new spots.

Chaos47
01-11-2012, 11:25 PM
But for me, I need to find another location. This place has gone to the dogs.

It has for sure, its totally trashed and down right dangerous now. If you would like to make it all the way up the hill but then have someone that cant set up halfway up the road and cross fire the main area. Or if you want to shoot with someone shooting a rotor at 25yards with a Mosin Nagant having ricochets go over your head. Or have the guys next to you smoking weed in their car then shooting their pistol one handed with a beer in the other hand. Or if you would like to be down range changing a target during a cease fire and have someone bump fire their AK74 down range. Then this place is for you!

Unlike JoeM, I directly blame the people that gave directions and coordinates to this place in this thread for its downfall! Before you all spilled the beans this place was amazing! So good job! You have managed to ruin another rare spot in California.

I would like to think a dumpster would help but in reality it will just get shot at.
Clean ups are not going to fix anything the same people will just continue to do the same thing. The only way to keep a place like this is to keep quite about it.

The Rockpile was recently shut down by Code Enforcement and the rumor is they are working on shutting down the BLM as well.

CDC54
01-12-2012, 6:16 AM
Might be nice to have some pressure up there to weed out people like you described. No pun intended.

Poke_Monster
01-12-2012, 9:55 AM
Hello

I am about 30Min from Riverside and I would be glad to come and help. I have a Truck and I will do what ever I an. When is this looking to take place?

CDC54
01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I think this would have to be a weekday and even then there could be folks out with potential idiots shooting with them. Obviously the less crowded the better.

Poke_Monster
01-19-2012, 4:00 PM
Sounds good to me, what day during the week is this looking to happen.

SudoNoob
01-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I think this would have to be a weekday and even then there could be folks out with potential idiots shooting with them. Obviously the less crowded the better.

I think a busy day might be better... Just let them know calgunners are hear to clean up after idiots that refuse to and It's a no shooting zone while we are cleaning. I think with more people there, then more people will get the message and either join in on the cleanup or just leave.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Eat Dirt
01-28-2012, 1:11 PM
I think a busy day might be better... Just let them know calgunners are hear to clean up after idiots that refuse to and It's a no shooting zone while we are cleaning. I think with more people there, then more people will get the message and either join in on the cleanup or just leave.

Or.............

Third option ........................

Use you as a target........:eek:

Have you seen the people that go there ???

SudoNoob
01-28-2012, 3:53 PM
Or.............

Just the kind of response I expect from some someone at the shootest. I shop at Faith Armory cuz of guys like you. Real mature of you to suggest a human target.

Chaos47
01-28-2012, 4:53 PM
Woah there calm it down SudoNoob, you are new so maybe you didn't know but Eat Dirt is pretty respected around here.

Eat Dirt is pretty much Calguns unofficial liaison with the rangers at another BLM spot. He has organised cleanups there and he actively tells us if the location is open or closed.

Unless I missed something I didn't know Dirt works at The Shootist. I see that in his profile it says "Occupation SHOOTIST". But that may just mean he enjoys the sport. Better to clear that up and make sure before you go off half cocked.

This place really is dangerous. I have said it before but I will say it again. I have seen people drinking /drunk there. I have seen people do illegal drugs there. I have seen people down range while rounds fly. I have had ricochets fly over my head. I have had people set up their line cross firing my line. Being shot at is a reality for this place and it is not really worth going there anymore.

Dirts comment I'm sure was tongue in cheek

Anyways here's what you said about this place anyways

I didn't even stay to shoot due to peoples lack of basic firearms safety.

So you know its dangerous!

fishandhunt4ever
01-28-2012, 5:23 PM
I am not too far, but if a range day clean up is put together, count me in. If it is going to be saved, now is the time before its too late.

SudoNoob
01-28-2012, 6:06 PM
Woah there calm it down SudoNoob, you are new so maybe you didn't know but Eat Dirt is pretty respected around here.

Eat Dirt is pretty much Calguns unofficial liaison with the rangers at another BLM spot. He has organised cleanups there and he actively tells us if the location is open or closed.

Unless I missed something I didn't know Dirt works at The Shootist. I see that in his profile it says "Occupation SHOOTIST". But that may just mean he enjoys the sport. Better to clear that up and make sure before you go off half cocked.

This place really is dangerous. I have said it before but I will say it again. I have seen people drinking /drunk there. I have seen people do illegal drugs there. I have seen people down range while rounds fly. I have had ricochets fly over my head. I have had people set up their line cross firing my line. Being shot at is a reality for this place and it is not really worth going there anymore.

Dirts comment I'm sure was tongue in cheek

Anyways here's what you said about this place anyways

So you know its dangerous!

My apologies if I took it the wrong way. Not trying to start sh** here.

Eat Dirt
01-28-2012, 9:10 PM
My apologies if I took it the wrong way. Not trying to start sh** here.

No Problem Here ...New Guy

And Thanks Chaos 47 for the nice words !!

Maybe my wording should of said ..................With some of the kind of people that go there .....Ect

I was there once !!! and that was enough for me
Maybe I missed the Memo on " Beer and Guns day "

And I do Not work at the Shootist

chknlyps2
01-29-2012, 6:51 AM
Just the kind of response I expect from some someone at the shootest. I shop at Faith Armory cuz of guys like you. Real mature of you to suggest a human target.

I also know Eat Dirt from working with him at a Calguns booth and talking with him on a personal level, he is a stand up guy and safety is one of his concerns when shooting.

I took his comment this way when you said the thugs leaving trash should stop shooting and had 2 options, " either join in on the cleanup or just leave"..... He was saying THEY would act like bigger thugs and THEY would think of a 3rd option and might use you as a target.

He was bringing to light their mentality and looking out for your safety.

CDC54
01-29-2012, 5:12 PM
Or.............

Exactly what I was thinking. I was out there today about 11. Starting getting more and more packed so I took off.

SWalt
01-29-2012, 9:15 PM
If this is the BLM land I'm thinking of, its about 20 minutes away from me. I went shooting there with a buddy of mine last May a couple times (if it is the area I'm thinking of, a boat comes to mind). Had the area all to ourselves both times. There was trash but it wasn't horrible. Second time went up there with my buddy and a few more people and after shooting we cleaned up a lot more than we shot and left it a lot better than we found it. I'm not so sure this thread caused it to go down hill though. Another buddy of mine who has been in the area for a long time has heard not so good stories about some of the shooting areas up there. If those shooting there seem like thugs or crack heads, best not to shoot all your ammo. It would suck if they close it. I wouldn't mind helping out with a clean up. Hit me up

CDC54
02-01-2012, 5:00 PM
Not sure about what a boat refers to ?

SWalt
02-01-2012, 8:19 PM
Not sure about what a boat refers to ?

PM sent

dtjester
02-01-2012, 8:23 PM
Since the Rockpile is closed down for now, I am willing to help out with finding a new spot or clean up or whatever is needed.

SWalt
02-02-2012, 9:55 AM
Has anyone seen this? Notice the 1 and only comment.

http://events.inlandsocal.com/perris-ca/events/show/234119284-rifle-range-clean-up-day

dtjester
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Has anyone seen this? Notice the 1 and only comment.

http://events.inlandsocal.com/perris-ca/events/show/234119284-rifle-range-clean-up-day

The clean up day was arranged by the group who was hosting monthly steel shoots at Rockpile. I was invited but couldn't attend, so I don't know what happened with it. I was a member at Rockpile last year and I am really bummed to lose it.

valkylrie
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Bummed, is the right word. I was a member there a short time ago it was a great place to take my kids and teach them....

Like many I am unclear on the future, It isn't looking good...

I am in search of another place to shoot.

effbeeeye
02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
If there's a clean-up day, I'd like to help as well.

It's sad to hear the kind of people it attracts. I didn't realize it was so busy.

jakekanen
02-06-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm relatively close to the Area and would like to possibly volunteer myself. I know of another area that could use some TLC, not sure what it's called but it's before you hit a certain street.

Chaos47
02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Guys please remove the mention of the name of the place and street names from your posts.

Mongoblack23
02-07-2012, 6:35 AM
i was up at that certain area by the nursery yesterday and it looks horrible. the trash damn near doubles every time i go up. we took what we could, but it didnt make a dent... i will be heading up there next week sometime to clean up what i can, but i can only pickup what will fit in the back of my expedition. if anyone has a pickup and would like to help a bit, my girlfriend and i would GREATLY appreciate it... we will be going up pretty early probably on the 13, maybe the 14th. the weekdays seem to be pretty slow as far as people coming out to shoot.... pm me if your interested in helping....

CDC54
02-07-2012, 5:33 PM
For those who do know this place I refer to it as Area 25 which should make sense.

I would be down to help clean up a little next week if I can. PM me when you get the time and day your going together.

dtjester
02-07-2012, 6:18 PM
I'm down to help, but I am only available during the day on the weekends

valkylrie
02-07-2012, 9:18 PM
I am also in the area, I have a truck and am available most anyday, but I would prefer a weekend. Just let me know.

Mongoblack23
02-08-2012, 3:30 AM
the only problem with the weekends, that is when all those people that leave all the crap show up to shoot, and if you dont make it before them, there is no chance for a cleanup... now if you make it up there early enough, before any of "those" people show up, maybe we can get something done. im down for say, 6 to 630 sunday, if i can get at least one other person with a truck. hell, maybe "those" folks will see us and get a little bit of a clue..... but again, being able to work a weekday makes for a little sleeping in and a lower chance of people wanting to shoot while we're there.

CDC54
02-08-2012, 3:40 AM
I agree weekday is the safe bet

boltmopar
02-08-2012, 2:51 PM
I'm only off friday and saturday. I can swing sunday at 600 but i will not be able to bring a truck./ I have to work sundays and have to drive my van. Given, I can only help for an hour or so on sunday.

speeedracerr
02-08-2012, 6:11 PM
I'm definitely open to a clean up! I'm in Perris almost once a week (depending on schedule) to visit my girlfriend who lives in Perris, 10miles from SP.

Mongoblack23
02-10-2012, 6:09 AM
ok, looks like sunday isnt going to happen, too much going on in my schedule. however, i will be up there on monday and tuesday morning, trying to do my part, i am going to try and be up there by six both mornings and would definitely apppreciate some help. like i said in the earlier posts, i can only fit so much crap in my expedition, so a pickup would do a world of good. i will still try to bag up more, but i will have to leave a lot of it... even if you cant meet me up there, please do what you can to try and help out. even if its just grabbing a couple of my bags and hauling them out. Please pm me if you would like to help me out. ALSO, i would really like to know of a place i could dump this stuff other than my own trash can or sneaking it into the dumpsters behind a store. any ideas or suggestions?

Motarded
02-11-2012, 5:13 AM
Hey I sent you a PM. as far is a place to get rid of the stuff...I would be willing to go to the dump and pay to get rid of it...some of the heavier stuff I could probably put in the dumpster at work!!

Mongoblack23
02-11-2012, 9:38 PM
Just FYI, I will be up at this spot both Monday and Tuesday morning around 630 attempting to make a dent in the mess. Again my girl and I would love some help. I will be bagging or pileing as much as I can, though, once again, I can't take a whole lot with me. Any help would be appreciated, even if it showing up later and grabbing a bag or two. If you want to help, I would suggest a rake, large shovel and some heavy duty trash bags or plastic sheeting (to rake or shovel onto then tie the corners) just a side note, we will probably be doing a little shooting too, just to really make the trip worth it....

CDC54
02-12-2012, 6:17 AM
I'll see what I can do to help out since your making a great effort too.

Mongoblack23
02-13-2012, 4:47 AM
Because of chance of rain and a sick girlfriend, I wont be making it up there today, however I will be there tomorrow with my rake and shovel (and sidearm) trying to make a clean spot. Come join me if you can, if not, hopefully you can still help some other time......

integraracer157
02-13-2012, 3:10 PM
I know of a good spot that's blm that sheriffs and fire dept shoot at, its clean and never full, and hasn't been know by idiots yet. Pm me if you'd like to set up a shoot or for cords. just respect the place please, as it is clean, and quite. It took along time to get this place cleaned up from a few years back. We all shoot whatever we want, but we all take our trash with us. PLEASE DO THE SAME.

Mongoblack23
02-13-2012, 5:34 PM
i will be up as early as possible tomorrow, though that may not be till after 8. (when making the initial plans to forgot that we are responsible for getting the kid to school... whoops.) i would appreciate some reinforcements if only to back me up if "those" folks show up and give me s**t for preventing them from shooting. (its happened to me before at another insect named BLM spot). hope to see some folks out, or at least a cleaner spot next time i show...

valkylrie
02-13-2012, 6:12 PM
If I feel like I did this AM, I won't be there. If I wake up feeling like a person then I will make it. Best commitment I can give at the moment.

tony tattu
02-13-2012, 6:22 PM
Hi
I have recently moved to the Murrieta area and I am looking for a range to shoot .22 rifles and pistols. I was regular at Raahauges in Norco but its a little far to travel for 2hrs on a Sat or Sunday afternoon plinking with the family.
Is the Rockpile or Maywood Rod and Gun still operating ?
Or can you suggest a local range that is family friendly ?

Thanks for any feedback - regards Tony

Chaos47
02-13-2012, 6:32 PM
Rockpile is currently closed
Maywood is private and shotgun only

Mongoblack23
02-13-2012, 7:22 PM
If I feel like I did this AM, I won't be there. If I wake up feeling like a person then I will make it. Best commitment I can give at the moment.

understandable. even if you dont make it in the morning, if you get a chance this week, let me know. im pretty much free every day but thursday....

Tony, pm me and we'll talk a little about shooting areas near you...

ELDORADO LEE
02-13-2012, 8:37 PM
:rolleyes:I know of a good spot that's blm that sheriffs and fire dept shoot at, its clean and never full, and hasn't been know by idiots yet. Pm me if you'd like to set up a shoot or for cords. just respect the place please, as it is clean, and quite. It took along time to get this place cleaned up from a few years back. We all shoot whatever we want, but we all take our trash with us. PLEASE DO THE SAME.

Howdey,I live in Hemet.Was a 6 year member of the Rock Pile.Would love to have a nice place to shoot.I;m 71 and respect clean peaceful place to shoot.Thanks,Lee. hvrcleemimi@hotmail.com

Dan000
02-14-2012, 4:23 AM
Because of chance of rain and a sick girlfriend, I wont be making it up there today, however I will be there tomorrow with my rake and shovel (and sidearm) trying to make a clean spot. Come join me if you can, if not, hopefully you can still help some other time......

Just stumbled upon this thread. I got my first handgun recently and am looking for a good place to shoot. I would love to come help you cleanup, and I can borrow my dad's pickup. If it is not too far from Anaheim, CA I'm in.

CDC54
02-18-2012, 9:23 AM
Heading up to clean up and shoot.

ELDORADO LEE
02-18-2012, 9:48 AM
:mad:Took the wife up to shoot Friday morning.What a mess.The truck load of
IDIOTS next to me were leaving,left all their targets and SHOTGUN HULLS.I did fill up 4 plastic Wal-Mart bag will hulls,put in my trash can at home.Why are the shot gun shooters the worst offenders???? I never have seen them police their area.Even if they cleaned up their hulls,you still have all the shot pistons and CLAY TARGETS.Just my $.02 cents worth.

CDC54
02-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Didn't even dent the amount of crap up there. http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/CDC54/634a6849.jpg

CDC54
02-23-2012, 6:40 AM
Anyone going out there today ? Thinking of going for a couple hours

JoeDoogN
02-23-2012, 6:52 AM
I remember this spot years ago, when there was no trash and garbage left behind other than the targets we'd leave for the next weekend to reuse.
Every now and then you find a group of respectful and careful people, but for the most part its filled with a bunch of littering idiots. you ask why? maybe because the exact location and directions to the spot is being broadcasted all over this website and others!!

valkylrie
02-23-2012, 7:18 AM
I remember this spot years ago, when there was no trash and garbage left behind other than the targets we'd leave for the next weekend to reuse.
Every now and then you find a group of respectful and careful people, but for the most part its filled with a bunch of littering idiots. you ask why? maybe because the exact location and directions to the spot is being broadcasted all over this website and others!!

You do understand that most of the people here are "respectful and careful"!

They are using their personal time and expense to go and clean this spot and others; I am planning a trip for just that myself.

I understand your frustration, but taking it out on the members of Calguns at large is uninformed and misplaced. I know many of the members like myself appreciate having an outdoor, local location to enjoy our hobby, and we are considerate and clean up after ourselves. We clean up after others in an effort to preserve the use of these locations and to keep them safe for our own use.

I understand that you may not have created the mess, the ones that did are unlikely to clean it up so, Instead of just complaining, join in on or organize your own clean up and be part of the solution and efforts to preserve these locations.

JoeDoogN
02-23-2012, 7:43 AM
By no means was I aiming those comments toward the calguns community, so far from my experience on this site I have recognized several respectful and knowledgable people who care and are passionate about the sport.
Especially those of you on this thread that take time out in aiding the clean up.
Sorry if for any offense tooken, because it was not intended towards anyone on this site.

What I was directing towards was that ANYONE has access to this site, all people have to do is "hear" about a spot in perris, and google " perris range" and the 3rd result that pops up is calguns.net with this thread and others listed with turn by turn directions availible to them.

I, and those who come with assist in cleaning the spot, bring rakes, shovels and trash bags, but there is only so much you can haul and throw away.

Eat Dirt
02-23-2012, 7:50 AM
Not trying to hi-jack this thread , But ::

Having a Cal-Gun Clean -up in Bee Canyon ( Hemet )
Sunday morning , Here's the link

Start at post # 157
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324272&page=4

CDC54
02-23-2012, 7:58 AM
I agree with that and that's why most of the directions and street names have been deleted by members.

valkylrie
02-23-2012, 8:06 AM
Sorry, I must have read your post in a way it was not intended. Mama was kicking me all night last night, must have woke up extra grumpy :tooth:

Mongoblack23
02-23-2012, 7:40 PM
i just wanted to say, to those who have gone and cleaned this spot and to those that plan to, thank you. i have gone up a few time and cleaned, have had one member join me and convinced other up there to do the same. it seems like a whole lot of crap up there but every bit helps. im leaving for a few months to somewhere a little more sandy and wont be up there again till mid july. however, my girlfriend is going to get the word out on when the blm team will have dumpsters out there and i hope she sees lots of calgunners out there. should be mid march or so, keep an eye out....

CDC54
02-24-2012, 5:35 AM
Thanks Mongo for the help out there. Take care over seas

SWalt
02-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Hey Mongo......can you enlighten us a little on the blm team?

Mongoblack23
02-25-2012, 2:16 PM
Cdc, thank. I will be.

As far as the blm folks. They and some fire dept officials were up there the other day discussing the fire hazard and the amount of crap up there. My girlfriend and i talk to them for a bit and got a little info. They will be bringing dumpsters up to this blm spot sometime in march. They couldn't give us an exact date but my girlfriend should be in contact with them and will hopefully be posting it up here on calguns... more info to follow... hopefully...

Dan000
02-28-2012, 8:28 PM
Anyone planning to go cleanup send me a pm, I'd love to help out.

JoeDoogN
02-29-2012, 8:28 AM
Anyone heading up this Saturday to shoot??

DarthSean
03-02-2012, 6:19 PM
Did Bee canyon get worse after Gilman Springs got shut down? The stuff I used to see left there was beyond description!

Eat Dirt
03-02-2012, 6:24 PM
Did Bee canyon get worse after Gilman Springs got shut down? The stuff I used to see left there was beyond description!

NO ...Bee Canyon has Rangers patroling the road
And LEO Rangers that check on things

Also there have been a few " Cal-Gun Clean-Ups " out there

Spaofjello
03-03-2012, 9:25 AM
I'd like to go clean up, and so some shooting, also. I live in the area, and can help out on my days off. PM me the directions, and I'm game! I'm available this Monday or Tuesday, and I can bring friends to help.

Toyz
03-03-2012, 8:11 PM
Also Looking to help out on this, Let me know I am usually available on sundays, saturdays with a 2 week notice.

EchoFourTango
03-10-2012, 7:06 PM
I am saddened that the rock pile has not re-opened, was such a nice place to go to.

CDC54
03-11-2012, 6:42 AM
I was lucky enough to get a membership at Rainbow recently and that has been great for me. I work in and out of town so when I know I'm going by there I can stop in for a couple of hours.

ThatguyMatt
03-21-2012, 3:11 PM
If there is a clean up / shoot going on anytime in the near future let me know, I was looking to get a membership at the rockpile but i had just been putting it off, and I just read about everything that happened. So for the time being it looks like I'll still be driving out to Lytle Creek. ugh.

JoeM
03-21-2012, 5:35 PM
Speaking of Clean Ups... Today I received this email from the BLM lady in the Palm Springs office. BLM has arranged for a Clean Up day at Steel Peak THIS SATURDAY from 9:15am to 1pm. Here's the details from the email:

Volunteer Opportunity - Steele Peak - Stephen's Kangaroo Rat Reserve Cleanup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Palm Springs-South Coast Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Office will be hosting a volunteer event on Saturday, March 24, 2012 from 9:15 AM to roughly 1:00 PM at the Steele Peak SKR Reserve located approximately 4 miles west of Perris, CA. (Township 5 South, Range 4 West, Section 9).

The project site falls within the Steele Peak SKR Reserve, an area set aside for the protection and management of the federally endangered Stephen’s Kangaroo Rat (Dipodomys stephensi). Illegal dumping and misuse of the area has resulted in an accumulation of garbage including household refuse, broken target boards, spent shotgun shells, and other items littering the ground. Removal of the garbage will return the area back to its natural setting, thus enhancing the habitat for SKR. Using a variety of hand tools such as rakes and garbage pickers, volunteers will assist BLM staff in performing a general cleanup of the area. Gloves and some tools will be provided, but quantities are limited, so volunteers are encouraged to bring their own supplies as well. These should include personal safety supplies such as sunscreen, hat, gloves, closed-toed shoes, lunch, etc. Light snacks and drinks will be provided.

Volunteers are to meet at one of the following locations to carpool to the project site:

1. Meet at the Palm Springs-South Coast BLM Office located at 1201 Bird Center Drive in Palm Springs at 8 AM on Saturday, March 24. We will leave promptly at 8:15 AM.

2. Meet in the parking lot just west of Popeye’s Chicken located at 498 E 4th St in Perris, CA at 9:15 AM. From I-215, take the 4th St / Hwy 74 West exit. Head west on 4th street approximately mile. Popeye’s will be on the right-hand side just past Jack in the Box.

Please bring with you Page 1 of the Individual Volunteer Services Agreement (Volunteers under 18 years of age will need the signature of their parent or guardian on the form).

Interested parties should RSVP to Jennifer Taylor, BLM Volunteer Coordinator, at (760) 833-7117 or by email at j5taylor@blm.gov

For more information on BLM volunteer events, visit our web site - http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palmsprings/palmspringsvolunteer.html

Mongoblack23
03-21-2012, 7:20 PM
thanks joe for posting, my girlfriend never heard back from the woman we were supposed have contact with... i highly encourage any and everyone who can attend to please do so. at maybe let it be know that calguns is there to clean...

ewxlt66
03-28-2012, 2:25 PM
Hi guys,

I was out there this morning doing some recon on the place since I may go sometime soon, trying to get a read on the legality and the general sketchiness factor.

The first spot is pretty clean, relatively speaking.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/ewxlt66/IMG_3476.jpg

The next site was a disaster. I expected to step on a needle at any moment.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/ewxlt66/IMG_3475.jpg

So, bottom line, this place is legal, but sketchy, right?

Whoosdat
04-03-2012, 6:06 PM
Could someone pm me the location of the public range for both cleanup purposes and range.

ReconScout
04-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Ditto the above for me.

EdgarCervantes
05-28-2012, 9:53 PM
So I was out there this weekend shooting and saw a couple people shooting and not all of them cleaned up after themselves, good thing for me Im actually good friends with a guy who owns alot of land out there after passing the big satelittes and all that stuff so I get to shoot on private property and even then its still pretty dirty from traspassers!!!

EchoFourTango
05-31-2012, 4:26 PM
Sadly bro, the dude that used to run the rock pile is dead, and as from what i hear the range is closed due to code enforcement. Was there as well my self, the are i was at was to to horrible, but it could still use some cleaning up.

Eat Dirt
05-31-2012, 9:21 PM
If there was a clean-up organized

Where would the trash go ???

Meaning //// Where to take it ??

EchoFourTango
06-01-2012, 8:39 PM
that is true, no dumpsters or anything over there

EdgarCervantes
06-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I have no idea to be honest :/

rodburner
06-02-2012, 2:27 PM
could someone pm me the directions to this place i would like to check it out i know you cant shot but i would like to see the spot everone is talking about take home a little trash with me

MP330
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I've heard of this place a couple weeks back from a couple trustful sources, but would like to check it out personally before making a day of it. I know the road that it is off of, but looking at satellite images and the pics earlier in this thread, I want to be sure that I will be scouting for the correct spot. Could someone pm the coords to me, please?

EchoFourTango
06-09-2012, 5:53 AM
Some guys from my local were shootin out there on memorial day and they said that the ranger came through and was tellin people that they could not shoot high powered rifles. When asked what was considered high powered, the ranger said anything above
.223. I don't know if that is a legit statement by the ranger, but I am just givin you all a heads up from a reliable source.

jakekanen
06-09-2012, 2:50 PM
Some guys from my local were shootin out there on memorial day and they said that the ranger came through and was tellin people that they could not shoot high powered rifles. When asked what was considered high powered, the ranger said anything above
.223. I don't know if that is a legit statement by the ranger, but I am just givin you all a heads up from a reliable source.

Good to know, I guess I had good timing...didn't run into any Rangers that day. I'd also be willing to volunteer for cleaning this place up. I know there's a Forestry station on the way up there, but I'm not sure if they're the proper contact for disposing on the wastes. Would that be something to ask the nearest BLM office?

Spaofjello
06-12-2012, 2:09 PM
I realize this is kind of a late reply, but in response to Ewxlt66's question here is the info I got from BLM:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/jlbowen/Calguns/SteelePeak.jpg

stilly
06-12-2012, 6:27 PM
Folks can we please stop calling this a PERRIS area? Please? Please? I worked in perris and it was a DUMP. It is MORE of a dump now because they got rid of me. There is only ONE shooting range in Perris and that is the old police range that we frequent from time to time. Maywood, Rockpile and Steel Peak are all in the County or Gavlin Hills.

Sorry, that is all I have to add. back to locating places to shoot now...

Canyon Lake NRA
06-14-2012, 8:47 AM
I was there this am. Ranger was there saying they had a ricochet sparked fire last week and were doing a controlled burn there today. Said the closure was indefinite. Nabors complaining about long rifle rounds hitting areas outside of the range?

EchoFourTango
06-16-2012, 1:56 PM
Creek Fire:

Name:

Creek Fire

County:

Riverside County

East Hemet off of Indian Creek Road.

Administrative Unit:

CAL FIRE/Riverside County Fire

Status/Notes:

76 acres - 100% contained

Date Started:

June 8, 2012 5:29 pm

Last update:

only fire in the riverside county area i could find on http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_current

EchoFourTango
06-16-2012, 1:58 PM
But if that is true then it is a sad thing, could easily be an excuse to though.

Canyon Lake NRA
06-21-2012, 2:17 PM
Ok. I was there again this a.m. Looks like fire burned down to the left side(the long side that many used for AR's). There was a small amount of burn that happened in front of the center rockpile. Otherwise its back open and very dry. Hot brass in the grass could ignite. Take a fire extinguisher. Otherwise good to go. See attached.

EchoFourTango
06-21-2012, 5:10 PM
Thank you for the update, do appreciate the info.

speeedracerr
06-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Wow... that explains the fire we saw from our backyard in Perris. We were wondering where that fire was coming from and my girlfriend made a bet with me that it was coming from the range area. Crazy, she knows here coordinates :)

From the last time they had that huge green dumpster from the last clean up, that place got really messy again. Wished people would clean up after themselves, would make the place look much better and pleasant to shoot :(

EchoFourTango
06-22-2012, 3:27 PM
Be nice if they could leave a dumpster or drop one of every so often. Or mabey some one needs to set up a clean up and rent one. /shrug

SudoNoob
06-25-2012, 4:19 PM
Saw some people shooting clays here this weekend. Are clays allowed or no? Please show proof as to if they are legal to shoot there or not.

Mongoblack23
06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Saw some people shooting clays here this weekend. Are clays allowed or no? Please show proof as to if they are legal to shoot there or not.

Its BLM land...
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/hunting.html

Drabnor
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
With bee canyon closing for the summer this Friday, I'm looking for another spot to take my son. Anyone care to share via pm? Thanks!

EdgarCervantes
07-01-2012, 2:39 PM
i have seen alot of people shoot clays here all the time, i shoot clays myself but its on private property past the big satelites my dads friend owns alot of land out there........

Dan000
07-01-2012, 3:05 PM
Went out there these last few Saturdays, it was super crowded each time. Yesterday there was some group called X Men with about 50 people and tents and ****, looked like a gun show, they had signs from the main roads leading you in. Found a spot further down. I left with a shot up TV and wooden pallets that I didn't arrive with.

stilly
07-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Good for you. Bee Canyon is a cool place to go and do range cleanups. :) I can't wait to go again.

bigdawg86
07-06-2012, 7:14 PM
So it isn't closed?

Rob7.62
07-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Hope not I normally go havent been in about a month or so been thinking a range cleanup here would be nice place is trashed its a shame nice outdoors place and free at that.

EchoFourTango
07-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Its open, just alittle burnt but still open. there is also quite a bit of trash there to.

MacOtac
07-07-2012, 1:24 PM
Live in temecula and would like to go shooting with someone in the area that knows of some good places to shoot. Thank!

bigdawg86
07-07-2012, 2:28 PM
I don't want to put the specifics on blast... but driving down the 215S today I saw a row of cars, and a guy walking in all camo carrying a rifle case (thats what it looked like) he was walking toward "the hills". Without giving away the specific location, I wonder if it was private property or what? I may be completely wrong but it sure looked like people going shooting. Google didn't turn up anything.

JoeM
07-07-2012, 4:55 PM
The Steele Peak location is really becoming such a dump. Besides, there are too many reckless morons shooting there who have no knowledge of safety for themselves and certainly no regard for others. I find it no longer safe to bring my family or friends to that location.

There must be another location that is accessible to those of us who consider safety first and care about keeping a place clean. But these places are few and far between. Maybe a few of us need to get together and open our own outdoor range.

Last week I called the Rockpile. Unfortunately they have lots to do before the county will allow them to reopen. Bill's widow told me it would be at least a year or two before they expect to reopen. So it's time to find another location.

speeedracerr
07-07-2012, 5:20 PM
The Steele Peak location is really becoming such a dump. Besides, there are too many reckless morons shooting there who have no knowledge of safety for themselves and certainly no regard for others. I find it no longer safe to bring my family or friends to that location.

There must be another location that is accessible to those of us who consider safety first and care about keeping a place clean. But these places are few and far between. Maybe a few of us need to get together and open our own outdoor range.

Last week I called the Rockpile. Unfortunately they have lots to do before the county will allow them to reopen. Bill's widow told me it would be at least a year or two before they expect to reopen. So it's time to find another location.

I concur on the safety issue... The last couple of times I've been up there, a few people have the habit of purposely shooting at the rocks.

This is very unfortunately considering this place is very local and extremely convenient whenever I feel like shooting.

Likewise, this place has accumulated so much trash over the past month since the last clean up. :( Wished people stop bringing their trash and unwanted appliances and TVs there! Grrrr...

jakekanen
07-08-2012, 9:05 AM
Well if anyone would like to get together for a clean up, I'd be willing to volunteer. I tend to shoot there quite often, and I'd like to do my part and make an effort to not give any reasons to close it. Please feel free to PM me.

MacOtac
07-08-2012, 8:05 PM
I am in for a clean up too. I have not shot there, but would like to see it first hand and help clean it. Let me know

bigdawg86
07-09-2012, 8:52 AM
I'd be down for a cleanup...as long as we get to shoot afterwards!

Whoneedsafety?
07-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I'd be willing to come cleanup as well. May I suggest early morning?

I'm always looking for another shooting partner, I was there this past weekend and July 3rd (evening, got a flat). That place is seriously in need of a cleaning.

Whoneedsafety?
07-09-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't want to put the specifics on blast... but driving down the 215S today I saw a row of cars, and a guy walking in all camo carrying a rifle case (thats what it looked like) he was walking toward "the hills". Without giving away the specific location, I wonder if it was private property or what? I may be completely wrong but it sure looked like people going shooting. Google didn't turn up anything.

Would you be willing to PM me the approximate area? I'll do some research..

I have a friend who is a supervisor for BLM now stationed in Moreno Valley. He was once one of my junior Marines. I will ask him for more information regarding the rifle shooting at Steele. I was there 2 weeks ago testing a new 308.

EdgarCervantes
07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Im going on the 21st to have a bbq with the family and do some shooting. Ill try to remember to take some pictures.

cam1966
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Maywood is not just shotgun you can use sidearms & long guns thay have a very nice range for this.but it is members only but you can get a member to sponsor you and then become a member that way.and you can be a gust of a member and use the range that way.

EdgarCervantes
07-17-2012, 8:03 PM
im going there this sunday to my buddies land... lets see how that goes.

Sparkdawg
07-21-2012, 2:54 AM
I'll be out there later today. Will let you guys know how it goes as far as unsafe shooters in the area or any other issues. I will get a few photos too. Edgar, we may bbq too, not sure, enjoy your time out there! -Ruben

Sparkdawg
07-21-2012, 3:03 AM
Oh yeah, count me in for a clean-up day too, I'm down for the cause. Just let me know... -RF

CappyKD
07-21-2012, 7:35 AM
I'm down for a clean-up day. I live just down the hill by the Lake. I have a M101A2 trailer I can haul up to fill with junk. When are we going to do this?

K

Eat Dirt
07-21-2012, 8:30 AM
I'm down for a clean-up day. I live just down the hill by the Lake. I have a M101A2 trailer I can haul up to fill with junk. When are we going to do this?

K

That would be a Giant help .............
Sounds like we can get something rolling

But where is the closest place to take the trash ?

What would be best / A weekday or weekend date for a clean-up ??

CappyKD
07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
That would be a Giant help .............
Sounds like we can get something rolling

But where is the closest place to take the trash ?

What would be best / A weekday or weekend date for a clean-up ??

Weekend would be best for more helpers. Right down Cajalco is the Temescal Canyon dump. About 20 miles from the range. I went up there this am to check it out. Certainly needs some clean up, but nice to see a place to do a little shooting just 15 minutes from my house. I have a few friends who will help out also, a few are CalGuns members.

Kirk

CappyKD
07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Now I need to find a referral to Maywood. I kinda like the camping under the trees part.

On another note, My friend who owns CSA is going to try to contact Bill's wife and see what he can do to help get the Rock pile re-opened sooner. I also have a neighbor who would donate backhoe time if that will help them too.

Kirk

EchoFourTango
07-21-2012, 3:41 PM
Im in for a clean up and I may be able to get some help as well.

Whoosdat
08-03-2012, 9:34 PM
I know this is short notice but would anyone be up for a cleanup at steel peak tomorrow 8-4-12. Me and the family were thinking of taking a drive up there to fire off some rounds and blow off some steam.

Rob42o
08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I was just up at the BLM land right behind where Maywood Gun Club is (where the fire mentioned earlier was). There is a NEW BLM Land sign posted on the dirt entrance. It IS currently a OPEN Shooting area. However, IF people do not start cleaning up after themselves they will close it down.

The girlfriend and I always clean up our stuff. And did what we could to pick up a little. But there were some "new" shooters that did not seem very safe. We did what we could to help them shoot better, and more responsible, but there was a slight language barrier.

Is there anyway we can maybe get another get together an clean up in this area? I enjoy shooting here, it is not to far from me. And we usually have a great time up there. Friday and Saturdays are best for me and the lady. I can bring rakes and bags/buckets for brass. And have a Sporttrac I can get a little in the bed to.

Federal
08-05-2012, 2:20 PM
If there can be a clean up get together on a weekend count me in!
I have a silverado that we can fill up..
My wife and I wouldn't mind, we also could bring some rakes, and I have a bunch of those homedepot buckets too.. Lmk

SudoNoob
08-06-2012, 5:27 AM
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to clean up after themselves but this is the consequence for it.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p508/SudoNoob/BLMSign.jpg

I will try to get a group of guys to go out there on either a Saturday or Sunday and I will post here when I get a date set.

asketes
08-06-2012, 8:17 AM
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to clean up after themselves but this is the consequence for it.

I will try to get a group of guys to go out there on either a Saturday or Sunday and I will post here when I get a date set.

I'm in, just let me know when.

Rob42o
08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
The lady an I will be heading out sometime this weekend also. Just got her a new scope, we need to sight in. An Ill be cleaning what I can, brass/trash wise.

Rob42o
08-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I know this is short notice but would anyone be up for a cleanup at steel peak tomorrow 8-4-12. Me and the family were thinking of taking a drive up there to fire off some rounds and blow off some steam.

Not sure where Steel Peak is. I just found this thread, when looking for help to keep Maywood area clean.

Could you PM me the location? Might like to check it out if it is close, and do a little clean up while there.

Rightwinger
08-06-2012, 10:58 AM
My Brother, friends and I went shooting here this past weekend.. Alot of trash is an understatement. Plus we had people shooting off the Boulder Rocks next to us - Like Hello!!! (ever heard of Ricochet) :kest:. I'd hate to see this range get closed - 25 min. away. Count me in for a clean-up, Can probably bring a couple of more bodies to help.

EchoFourTango
08-06-2012, 5:42 PM
I would like to help, may be working on sat. so i might not be able to help then but i know for sure that i can do a sunday this weekend.

Whoosdat
08-06-2012, 8:22 PM
Spoke with the guy from the blm and he made it very clear that they will be shutting it down if clean up is not done. We really need to let everyone around us know that they need to clean up. The last few times I was there the biggest problem besides trash was the excess amount of spent shot gun shells everywhere.

Whoosdat
08-06-2012, 8:27 PM
Is anyone interested in a cleanup either saturday 8/11 or sunday 8/12? If so lets see how many people we can get and we will work something out. It would really suck to see this area get shut down. We will have to be there early as the place fills up pretty quickly on weekends.

asketes
08-07-2012, 6:16 AM
When my group goes, we always pack out WAY more than we took in. That's the way to do it. Simple.

Rob42o
08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I was planning on going up this weekend to help clean a little, and maybe shoot. If I do it will be for a little bit on Friday Evening, as I just got called to do a Fireworks Show in Lake Elsinore on Saturday, and I return to my normal job on Sunday. I hope to be able to get up there for a bit an get a early start for you guys.

Sleighter
08-07-2012, 4:57 PM
I was thinking about this problem and realized we may have allies we haven't tapped into. The Boy Scouts are usually interested in doing service projects and clean up of the outdoors and typically prospective Eagle Scouts are happy to have suggestions for their 100 man-hour service project required for the rank. If we all could contact our local Boy Scout troops I'd be willing to bet we can get volunteers to help us clean.

What could be better than making new allies and teaching a new generation of shooters?

Rightwinger
08-07-2012, 6:39 PM
I was thinking about this problem and realized we may have allies we haven't tapped into. The Boy Scouts are usually interested in doing service projects and clean up of the outdoors and typically prospective Eagle Scouts are happy to have suggestions for their 100 man-hour service project required for the rank. If we all could contact our local Boy Scout troops I'd be willing to bet we can get volunteers to help us clean.

What could be better than making new allies and teaching a new generation of shooters?

That's a great idea.. I personally don't know any Boy Scouts but any help would be awesome. I'm down to help when ever possible.

Eat Dirt
08-07-2012, 7:05 PM
Maybe contact this Guy

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=120774

VintageDUG

Here's a post from My 'Bee Canyon'Clean-Up

" I'll just be getting back from a week back packing with scouts, but I should be there. I'll be the guy in the M35A2. "

chknlyps2
08-07-2012, 8:49 PM
I have never been shooting at this area, I live about an hour and a half away and have a couple places less than 20 minutes from home but I thought I would lend a hand anyway, hate to see a spot get closed down.

I can come this weekend with my truck and help if some of you guys are going to be there, early morning is best for me. I have a place to dump near home for free so I can haul out whatever fits that won't blow out on the freeway. I can bring some trash cans and bags to fill up.

I also made some phone calls to BLM today, got in touch with a nice lady that is in charge of clean ups. I told her about the clean ups that Eat Dirt started in Bee Canyon and how the US Forest Service gave Calguns a Certificate of Appreciation Award. I sent her links to the Bee Canyon thread and the "Calguns gets an award" thread and she is going to show the head honcho for this area. I let her know that there are guys from this thread wanting to do the same at the Perris area. I asked about putting up the "Cleaned Up By Calguns" signs that Eat Dirt started for when we clean up in Bee Canyon and she is going to show the head boss the links that I sent her then ask, she said there is a possibility.

I asked about getting a law enforcement ranger out there to keep the range cold during a clean up and she said if we make plans and have a date 3 or 4 weeks in advance she can probably make that happen.

She also said she will get some dumpsters out there in October or November for a big clean up if we can get a bunch of people together. LEO will be there then also to keep the range cold.

She has my email and phone # and will contact me in advance of the Oct./Nov. date so I can post the info here.

EchoFourTango
08-07-2012, 9:00 PM
that sounds realy good. To bad that we cant get people that ow comunity service hours to clean up the range like they do the freeway or homeless shelters.

speeedracerr
08-08-2012, 2:31 AM
Man... I just saw the sign that the BLM put up about the possibility of indefinite closure due to hazardous conditions due to the trash people leave behind.

Whenever we go, we always pick up after ourselves and even donate our spent casing to those who always collect them for recycling.

Its a shame that people keep bringing their appliances, crates, TVs to shoot up there and leave them behind.

I've been shooting there for quite some time now and would hate to see it shut down especially only living like 5 minutes away.

In my opinion, problem I think was the over broadcasting of this place creating more visitors of which most may not be Calgun members and are not consciously aware or courteous enough to keeping the place clean.

If we can get a clean up crew together just like the last time when there was that big green giant trash container, i'd be down to sign up.

Rob42o
08-08-2012, 2:50 AM
In my opinion, problem I think was the over broadcasting of this place creating more visitors of which most may not be Calgun members and are not consciously aware or courteous enough to keeping the place clean.

I have been told by most of the people I have met out at this location, that area Firearms Shops have told them about the spot. Even met some young guys from Newport Beach, that their LGS told them about the area.

The girlfriend and I go quite often, have yet to meet a fellow CALGunner, have met some fellow NRA members, who are always cleaning up after themselves. Seems to me, the younger guys, the punks, and the ones that don't speak much English are the ones that are leaving the mess.

Since my plans were changed for this Saturday, if that date get setup with the LEO and dumpsters, Count me and a few friends in. SO long as I do not get a last minute Fireworks Show. Work does come first. Or any other weekend for that matter.

Those that are going this weekend, be careful, I heard it will be a hot weekend, I was told to expect 110-120 in Lake Elsinore for my Fireworks Show.

KRUSTYTHECLOWN
08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
I was there this past weekend, SPEEEDRACERR was kind enough to take my Kids and I out there. We had a great time and would hate to see this place shut down because of those idiots who don't clean up after themselves. My kids and I would definitely help clean up if someone gets this organized. We live in Victorville but are willing to travel to help out. I want my children to continue shooting for a long time.

bigdawg86
08-08-2012, 6:34 PM
I am thinking of going friday to chrono some rifle rounds... Ill clean up after myself, but a Scion XA isn't much of a junk hauler ;)

Whoosdat
08-08-2012, 7:36 PM
Well sounds like we can get a bunch of guys together. This weekend looks like a horrible idea since this will be the hottest weekend of the summer. I am all for getting everyone together and I think we should figure something out for a week or 2 out when its a little cooler. I have a short bed truck and can hual some stuff. I am going to go pick up some buckets for spent brass and some trash bags for spent shot shells. If anyone does any welding maybe we can get some rebar trash bag holders out there to dump trash and casings into. I would love to see this area designated as a Calguns clean up and shooting area.

chknlyps2
08-08-2012, 8:54 PM
Well sounds like we can get a bunch of guys together. This weekend looks like a horrible idea since this will be the hottest weekend of the summer. I am all for getting everyone together and I think we should figure something out for a week or 2 out when its a little cooler. I have a short bed truck and can hual some stuff. I am going to go pick up some buckets for spent brass and some trash bags for spent shot shells. If anyone does any welding maybe we can get some rebar trash bag holders out there to dump trash and casings into. I would love to see this area designated as a Calguns clean up and shooting area.

I had not seen the news for a few days and just saw the forcast and it will be a hot one this weekend. The next weekend I have plans but in 2 weekends (sat the 25th) is good for me.

I might stop by this saturday morning early on my way to Corona to check it out and grab a little crap while it is still cool.

We have found out after doing a bunch of clean ups in Bee Canyon that trash cans are best. You can cary them all over, lay them on their sides and rake stuff in till they are more than half full and if they get heavy 2 people can grab a handle to get it back to the truck. We can put bags in them and slide the bag out when they get to the truck that way we can stuff as many bags in the trucks as possible.

I have never been there but have a general idea where it is, I worked just up the road for years doing house pads in Gavilan Hills and drove by the road to the old gun club every day.

Can someone please PM me the distance or directions from when you turn off the 2 lane road?

Rightwinger
08-08-2012, 9:15 PM
My brother and I will be there this Saturday morning to do some shooting and clean-up. We'll be bring two trucks with rakes & bags... Any help will be appreciated, also if anybody knows where we can dump the trash in those large trash containers PM me please.. - Must not lose our place to shoot.

Dan000
08-09-2012, 5:44 AM
I'll definitely clean up all day the range is cold and a dumpster is there.

Drabnor
08-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I can see if I can get a few 32 gal trash cans donated, as well as getting a few friends for extra man power. Just need to know when, too bad this weekend will be way too hot...

GordonLWilliams
08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
My 14 year grandson and I went there this morning to shoot, we took trash cans, trash bags, rakes, shovel, 3 shotguns, rifle, etc. However, once we entered and passed the new BLM sign, I told him that we weren't going to shoot because of all the debris. I told him that if "Ranger Rick" from BLM came by and saw all that trash that they would be closing down this site. He and I cleaned up by the entrance several months ago and we couldn't believe all the spent hulls, etc. He's a BSA {Boy Scouts of America} and we received a email from the female down at Palm Springs {BLM} regarding the clean up and I notice that several others have inquired about getting the "dumpsters"...I'm going to contact the grandson's Scoutmasters and as others have mentioned, the scouts could earn alot of Service Hours Credit for cleaning up the area and I'm also going to check with BLM about the scouts having a place to shoot there and camping out also.

However, I want to know if BLM will have a "ranger" there during the clean up because I'm ashamed to mention that some of the shooters we have seen shooting, that I don't want any youngsters shot or anything else while they were cleaning up this site so shooters can have a place to shoot. Why in the hell anyone in their right minds would bring old TV's out and other crap and shoot them up. Come on! I'm going to ask BLM if they would leave one of those Giant Green Dumpsters so most responsible personnel could put their trash in them instead of letting the trash blow all over the place. I remember shooting for years out by Gilman Hot Springs turn off on Hwy 60 and then the bikers and fellow shooters started leaving the trash, local residents complained, the Riverside Co. Sheriff's Department started issuing tickets and another site got shut down.

I'm sorta surprised that the Maywood Gun Club next door hasn't complained to BLM about the problem of trash, etc. I do feel that the idea{s} about the Boy Scouts getting Service Hours is a GREAT IDEA and will contact Troop 156 {here in Riverside} Scoutmasters regarding their help in cleaning up the area and then having responsible personnel there if the boys wanted to shoot after clean up. I took a bunch of pic's this morning but I don't know how to post pictures here, but a 14 year boy and a 72 grandfather spent 4 hours and we can't believe how good it looked with what we did, now if 2 can make a "dent" at this site, think what a whole Troop of Scouts would do and other shooters. Lets not lose another shooting site to irresponsible people...

Rightwinger
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
My 14 year grandson and I went there this morning to shoot, we took trash cans, trash bags, rakes, shovel, 3 shotguns, rifle, etc. However, once we entered and passed the new BLM sign, I told him that we weren't going to shoot because of all the debris. I told him that if "Ranger Rick" from BLM came by and saw all that trash that they would be closing down this site. He and I cleaned up by the entrance several months ago and we couldn't believe all the spent hulls, etc. He's a BSA {Boy Scouts of America} and we received a email from the female down at Palm Springs {BLM} regarding the clean up and I notice that several others have inquired about getting the "dumpsters"...I'm going to contact the grandson's Scoutmasters and as others have mentioned, the scouts could earn alot of Service Hours Credit for cleaning up the area and I'm also going to check with BLM about the scouts having a place to shoot there and camping out also.

However, I want to know if BLM will have a "ranger" there during the clean up because I'm ashamed to mention that some of the shooters we have seen shooting, that I don't want any youngsters shot or anything else while they were cleaning up this site so shooters can have a place to shoot. Why in the hell anyone in their right minds would bring old TV's out and other crap and shoot them up. Come on! I'm going to ask BLM if they would leave one of those Giant Green Dumpsters so most responsible personnel could put their trash in them instead of letting the trash blow all over the place. I remember shooting for years out by Gilman Hot Springs turn off on Hwy 60 and then the bikers and fellow shooters started leaving the trash, local residents complained, the Riverside Co. Sheriff's Department started issuing tickets and another site got shut down.

I'm sorta surprised that the Maywood Gun Club next door hasn't complained to BLM about the problem of trash, etc. I do feel that the idea{s} about the Boy Scouts getting Service Hours is a GREAT IDEA and will contact Troop 156 {here in Riverside} Scoutmasters regarding their help in cleaning up the area and then having responsible personnel there if the boys wanted to shoot after clean up. I took a bunch of pic's this morning but I don't know how to post pictures here, but a 14 year boy and a 72 grandfather spent 4 hours and we can't believe how good it looked with what we did, now if 2 can make a "dent" at this site, think what a whole Troop of Scouts would do and other shooters. Lets not lose another shooting site to irresponsible people...

Hey Gordon, That is totally awesome what you and your grandson did. From us responsible shooters to you - it's MUCH appreciated. I'll be out there this Saturday around 8:30ish to do the same. I'm getting the phone number off the BLM sign and give them a call, and see what can be done about us cleaning with out worries of being shoot. Maybe look into getting a section closed off to public while cleaning is being done.. I think if they (BLM) know were serous about cleaning this place up they leave it open!!

torgo
08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd like to go and help as well. I can't make it this weekend though, 1 -2 weeks from now and I can be there. I live in the area and it'd be good to find a new place to shoot and some new people. I've got a short bed truck, a trash can, bags, and rakes...

PM me the exact spot, please, when a day is picked. I'm pretty sure I found it on google maps (sadly, by comparing the photos of the junk collected during the BLM clean up with the satellite map photos...who leaves a mess so big it's literally visible from space?)

bill4x4jeeping
08-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Going to be out there Sunday afternoon to clean up, and shoot a little. Just have an SUV, and possible have truck with us. Anybody willing to come out, or planning to already be there that can lend a helping hand that will be great. Will be in a silver SUV.

chknlyps2
08-10-2012, 7:13 PM
I talked to BLM again today and proposed a clean up for saturday the 25th, they are going to get back to me about getting a ranger there to keep the range cold.

Who Is In?

Bigmac1520
08-10-2012, 8:22 PM
I'm new to Calguns and I do shoot out there about twice a month. Count me in on Saturday the 25th. I have a small truck and it would be great to meet some of you and keep the area open.

Dave

Eat Dirt
08-10-2012, 9:55 PM
I talked to BLM again today and proposed a clean up for saturday the 25th, they are going to get back to me about getting a ranger there to keep the range cold.

Who Is In?

Big THANKS for Chknlyps for getting the ball rolling on this
This guy has Been a Huge help on the Bee Canyon Clean-ups

(I Had a project out of town and put in some Long...days )

The 25.th of August it is !!!!

I'll bring the stack of heavy rubbermaid trashcans / Heave rakes / Large flat shovels / Pop-up Suncover and a folding table . So we can have a shaded rest spot

Tomorrow I will start an 'Perris Clean-up Thread "
So we can get a list of Volunteers

SWalt
08-11-2012, 6:59 AM

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p508/SudoNoob/BLMSign.jpg

I can imaging some stupid idiot moron shooting up that sign thinking it would be funny. The sign is missing something though...hmmmm...maybe "your mother doesn't live here so pick up your sh**!"

I met Mongo up there a few months back before they had the last BLM clean up. We did a good deal of cleaning up the place. It sucks that its back in a poor condition even after the last BLM clean up. People are just slobs.

951temec
08-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey guys, have any of you been there recently?

thinking about going, i only go onc a year or so
and constantly forget the exact location

Eat Dirt
08-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Here's the site for the Clean-Up ::

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=606961

Saturday . ,August 25

Nis0ak
03-04-2013, 8:02 PM
I just went out there this past weekend, it was really crowded and hard to find a good spot to shoot. The rangers were out that day warning people that they need to clean up after them selves or its going to get shutdown, did people listen? from what I saw leaving the place NO! I go out with metal targets and pick up my brass but one group had glass beer bottles lined up, saw others shooting at pallets and I even saw one of those cat trees. The reason why I left was because I heard a couple of rounds fly by us and didn't want to get hit, its sad because I just found out about this place and I just live 20 mins away. I think we need to setup another clean up day

Darryl Licht
03-11-2013, 6:33 PM
This last weekend some boneheads were shooting at pumpkins they had placed on top of ROCKS! <--- Da da da dumb!!! The shooters were gone by the time I got there, but the pumpkins remained!

Place was much cleaner than many other times I've been out there!

chrisforonda
04-26-2016, 8:17 AM
Has one been to the Maywood BLM recently? We're planning on going this Saturday and want to know how the conditions are

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk