PDA

View Full Version : CA Long Gun Registry: Look at your future!!

Waldog
10-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Canada has had Long Gun Registry since 1998. Read what it has done for law abiding Canadian Citizens, then realize what Californians can look forward too!!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/25/a-long-time-coming-gun-owners-cheer-the-end-of-the-long-gun-registry/

dotalchemy
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, I know in no uncertain terms that I'll be well gone from CA by the time this takes effect.

It never ceases to amaze me how the ego's of CA's politicians allows them to blindly ignore factual evidence, constitutional rights and basic logic.

Apocalypsenerd
10-25-2011, 11:47 AM
The article left out the economic cost. That registry was a huge hole the Canadian government threw money down. That's one of the reasons I am surprised Brown signed ours into law.

WTSGDYBBR
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I will stop buying long guns.

wjc
10-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Just an FYI...

The Canadian Government is introducing a bill to scrap the long gun registration
on Tuesday (25 October).

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/24/bill-to-scrap-long-gun-registry-expected-tuesday

Bhobbs
10-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I'll build my own long guns.

HKDoc
10-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Great article about the failure of liberal legislation to provide any benefit and a lot of cosys

Uxi
10-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I will stop buying long guns.

I think that's exactly the intent.

vincewarde
10-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Although I am very much opposed to CA long gun registration, Canada's registry is much, much worse. That said, it's still ironic that CA is establishing a long gun registry at the same time Canada is scrapping theirs.

OlderThanDirt
10-25-2011, 1:13 PM
The Canadian long gun registration scheme is not really comparable to California's upcoming long gun registration requirement. Canada essentially started from scratch and required public participation, which the average Canadian politely declined. Canada wanted to go from zero to complete registration almost overnight for the sake of the children. Just like here, Canadians lost their long guns in tragic boating accidents at a record pace.

California already has a handgun registration system, that is still far from complete. Instead of requiring gun owners to declare and register their firearms, California picks away at it one transfer at a time, thus eventually achieving near total compliance over generations, or for the sake of the great grandchildren. In an effort to pick up the pace of registration California passed additional laws that added penalties for crimes that were committed with unregistered handguns.

While there is no requirement in AB 1810 to register currently owned long guns, I would expect that there will be some future legislation to encourage people to voluntarily register their long guns.

stix213
10-25-2011, 2:08 PM
While there is no requirement in AB 1810 to register currently owned long guns, I would expect that there will be some future legislation to encourage people to voluntarily register their long guns.

This is certain ^^^

Also, expect additional LEO confusion now that "all guns need to be registered"

Clownpuncher
10-25-2011, 2:11 PM
How long until we have a "safe long gun" register? :rolleyes:

guns4life
10-25-2011, 2:13 PM
I'll build my own long guns.

Bingo

elSquid
10-25-2011, 2:32 PM
Just an FYI...

The Canadian Government is introducing a bill to scrap the long gun registration
on Tuesday (25 October).

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/24/bill-to-scrap-long-gun-registry-expected-tuesday

About time! That was a waste of billions of dollars.

:thumbsup:

-- Michael

wjc
10-25-2011, 2:49 PM
About time! That was a waste of billions of dollars.

:thumbsup:

-- Michael

<David Lo Pan voice> Indeed! </David Lo Pan voice>

I even reminded Governor Brown about it when I sent him many emails asking him to veto the registration in the PRK.

Evidently he ignored me.

Glock22Fan
10-25-2011, 2:54 PM

I even reminded Governor Brown about it when I sent him many emails asking him to veto the registration in the PRK.

Evidently he ignored me.

What! Ignored you AND me?

I thought that might the the second one he'd veto. No benefits, huge cost.

wjc
10-25-2011, 2:59 PM
What! Ignored you AND me?

I thought that might the the second one he'd veto. No benefits, huge cost.

Tragic, idn't it?

He just signed the DREAM Act. Providing money for illegals when we don't have any money.

He doesn't care about the cost...

HBrebel
10-25-2011, 3:07 PM
I say we need to fire that jackass. I wish it was back in the early days when we could just go to his house and roust him out to face the angry mob. If he refuses to do the bidding of the people he is tarred and feathered and carted out of town. Maybe jersey or illinois will take him. I will definitely leave CA in the next 5 yrs if **** don't change.

elSquid
10-25-2011, 3:28 PM

Evidently he ignored me.

:D

Registration in Canada worked differently. Prior to longarm registration, private longarm purchases were completely without gov't involvement. Folks could swap guns on a whim. "Here's your gun, thanks for the money, good day, eh?"

Post registration, folks wanting a longarm transfer had to call the central registry to get the ball rolling, the registry would then have to co-ordinate the transfer, call and confirm with parties involves, and then would mail out registration certificates for the transferred guns. Pretty bureaucratic, and pretty much a waste of time. Large costs involved - no fees, so the program directly drained federal resources - and a giant PITA. I'm pulling this number out of my vague memories, but IIRC a handgun transfer cost the feds around $80 when all was said and done...so a longarm transfer probably was not that much cheaper.

Here in CA, the fact that we have to do a PPT for longarms anyway, and that the cost is really borne by the store and private parties, means that longgun registration won't have the same level of cost to the gov't as it did in Canada.

If the total costs directly - and visibly - came out of the state's fund, the politicians might be more receptive to the argument that it's a waste of resources...

-- Michael

vantec08
10-25-2011, 3:37 PM
Just proves to me that, inevitably, moonbeam will roll us up to keep his bones with the antis. Yea I know, he will veto this and he will veto that, but its the same old one step forward, two back crap.

oni.dori
10-25-2011, 4:30 PM
How long until we have a "safe long gun" register? :rolleyes:

For the love of God, quit giving them ideas!!! :facepalm:

lol :laugh:

GOEX FFF
10-25-2011, 4:40 PM
The article left out the economic cost. That registry was a huge hole the Canadian government threw money down. That's one of the reasons I am surprised Brown signed ours into law.

My take on that is the funding will be easily generated for Long gun reg...and I feel JB knew it.

Here's what I've always seen of this -

Anti's know that when ever an anti-gun bill is introduced the panic buying starts. The state would start taking advantage of these "panic buying" dollars from another law they've created, one that generates those dollars which they'll later use for their own financial benefit.

One bill (819) takes DROS fees, another bill (809) long gun reg starts the panic buying.

AB809 doesn't take effect until 2014, sitting idle for 2 years while the flood of $$ coming in from the abundant panic buying amounts before the 2014 "deadline", and generates DROS income to record levels.....then the state takes it using it against gun owners making them pay for Long gun reg themselves with DROS fees. :mad:

This could be why JB' didn't veto it on the grounds of costs, as the DROS fees they make (since they can now take those fees) at the end, would/could help fund it. :facepalm: :mad:

dexter9659
10-25-2011, 4:46 PM
I recommend doing what my brother and his friends in Canada do. Register hairdryers, leaf blowers, staple guns, TV remotes, plasma cutters, arc welders and anything else you can think of as a long gun. You laugh, but this actually happens, and it costs Canada tons of $$$ each year.