PDA

View Full Version : changing the Flash hider for a comp/brake

Ken Cochrane
02-14-2007, 5:55 PM
My local shop just built me a AR on a CMMG off list lower, bullet catch fixed mag, Stagg upper with a flash hider. Also a tele stock. Whats the scoop with swaping the Flash hider for a Comp/muzzel brake? I keep hearing that if you do it the new device has to be pinned. How hard is pinning? Can it be done by the shooter or does it take a smith? The reason for asking this is that I a perciving the AR as a weapon system. By swapping out parts, you can easily change it to shoot different mags by replacing the stock and pistol grip. The thorney issue is the Flash hider. Your thoughts appreciated.

Gringo Bandito
02-14-2007, 6:27 PM
To answer the main question, if the barrel is less than 16 inches, you must attach a MB or FH that would help meet the 16 in requirement. There are a couple of methods: Pinning and soldering using silver solder( I would use a smith for this). If the barrel meets the 16in requirement, there is not need to replace it unless you want to run a detachable mag set up w/o evil features.

I do find it odd that the shop that put your gun together did not know this.

Tweak338
02-14-2007, 6:54 PM
shouldn't this have been posted in the Riflemans Forum?

Tzvia
02-14-2007, 6:59 PM
You would only have to replace that flashhider with a brake if:
1. You want a brake
2. You will also be switching out the telestock for a fixed stock and removing the pistol grip to go detatchable mag.

You would need the brake OR flashhider pinned/welded if the barrel is less than 16" without it. The FS or MB would need be long enough to bring the total to 16"+. So in your case, the fh you now have would need to be pinned too if your barrel was shorter than 16".