PDA

View Full Version : firearms in National forest

outdoorman
10-24-2011, 8:45 PM
Hi all

Im new to the forum looks like a great place.

I do a lot of hiking and dirt biking in the national forests of Norcal

I was wondering can I legally open carry with a loaded firearm while in a national forest?

thanks

thenodnarb
10-24-2011, 9:39 PM
generally, yes.

outdoorman
10-24-2011, 9:45 PM
What Penal codes or other regulations support that?

What restrictions are there?

I want to be able to open carry with a loaded firearm using a thigh holster while riding my dirt bike

KimoBBZ
10-24-2011, 9:46 PM
Check in w/ the rangers closest to the area you are planning to visit. Note! National Forest ONLY, State Parks are a no-no I believe.

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Very last paragraph:

"National Forest and BLM: On these federal lands firearms are generally permitted, if carried and used in a safe manner, and if the users comply
with state and county laws. Most of these lands qualify as “unincorporated territory”, but there are some restrictions on shooting (near structures,
developed areas, roads, bodies of water) so 12031(f) applies in these areas. Check with your local ranger station for any other local restrictions."

thenodnarb
10-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Keep in mind that the law regarding shooting are different than simply carrying. Hunting is OK, self defense OK, but sometimes "plinking" is prohibited due to fire risk. Just talk to the local ranger station before you go as previously stated.

It makes sense though doesn't it? since hunting is generally aloud in national forests, then carrying of guns must be aloud right? But as previously stated, the law surrounds "unincorporated" areas. In other words, not in any city limits.

outdoorman
10-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I am talking carrying not shooting

thenodnarb
10-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I am talking carrying not shooting

Well, if you're in a national forest, walking around in the woods, its totally fine to carry. There may be some caveats, and if you want to know what they are, I suggest asking this question in the 2nd amendment forum since its a little more "main stream" than this forum.

outdoorman
10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
thanks I will do that.

Cheep
10-25-2011, 4:42 AM
Riding your motorcycle while carrying will be like having a loaded gun in a car, won't it?

mej16489
10-25-2011, 7:37 AM
Everything is covered in superior detail in the Firearms in Forests and Parks thread stickied at the top of this forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

outdoorman
10-25-2011, 7:58 AM
Everything is covered in superior detail in the Firearms in Forests and Parks thread stickied at the top of this forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

I read that thread but didn't see anything about dirt bikes / motorcycles

MudCamper
10-25-2011, 8:22 AM
Outdoorman, you created the same thread, with the same question, it 2 different forums (the other in 2A forum). That is very confusing. I answered you in the other thread.

Your answers are there and in the Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) thread.

There is no difference between walking/riding/driving when it comes to the law. But you need to understand that roads are "prohibited areas" which trigger no-loading, and beginning next year, no handgun open carry, unless you jump through various other hoops. There are no easy answers. You need to read the first few posts in the Firearms in Forest and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) thread. Then come ask any remaining questions.

outdoorman
10-25-2011, 9:25 AM
With this new AB 144 law when you enter a prohibited area cant you put the gun with loaded magazines in a gun case in a back pack?

In national forests I have read people saying you cant carry a loaded gun on a road due to the regulations below but where does it say that you cannot have a Loaded open carry in the areas below?

I read as you cant fire the weapon in the areas below I dont see it saying you cant carry a loaded weapon in the areas below.

The following are prohibited:

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:

(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.
(3) Into or within any cave.

stix213
10-25-2011, 10:05 AM
With this new AB 144 law when you enter a prohibited area cant you put the gun with loaded magazines in a gun case in a back pack?

Assuming no hunting, fishing, or carry license is involved, it would need to be securely locked within the backpack (not a trigger lock, the backpack must be locked closed), and be unloaded. Magazines can still have ammo in them, but not be in the gun.

MudCamper
10-25-2011, 10:11 AM
In national forests I have read people saying you cant carry a loaded gun on a road due to the regulations below but where does it say that you cannot have a Loaded open carry in the areas below?

I read as you cant fire the weapon in the areas below I dont see it saying you cant carry a loaded weapon in the areas below.

You clearly are not reading the posts I linked. The answers are there. PC 12031 defines "prohibited area" as anywhere shooting is prohibited. 12031 makes loading in prohibited areas illegal. The new UOC ban also uses the same "prohibited area" language. You just quoted a shooting prohibition regulation in the NF...

Darklyte27
10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Hes lazy and wants someone else to post the answer he is looking for.

Spend some time and read the thread you learn other useful knowledge

PM720
10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I think you need to add the fact that a motorcycle is still a motor vehicle so I would think having a loaded firearm in/on a motor vehicle would come into play too?

Scott

MudCamper
10-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I think you need to add the fact that a motorcycle is still a motor vehicle so I would think having a loaded firearm in/on a motor vehicle would come into play too?

Common misconception. There is actually no difference in a vehicle or out. It's being on the road or not that matters.

ETA: I have to partly take that back. Fish and Game code does make a distinction between in a vehicle or not, with respect to long guns. They prohibit a round in the chamber in your long guns when in a vehicle.