PDA

View Full Version : Meat grinder, grain grinder, etc. Group buy?

Got Stuff?
10-24-2011, 7:36 PM
Hey folks!

I've got a line on a great deal for the following items:

*Meat Grinder
*Grain Mill
*Citrus Juicer
*Veg Chopper/Slicer
*Meat Mincer

All are manually (Crank or Lever) operated and made of stainless steel and cast iron. Quality stuff!

If anyone is interested I can update the post with pics and PM prices. PM me for details or questions. Thanks.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/KTMTGRD1.jpg
Includes #10 meat grinder, #10 cutting plate and 3 funnel attachments. Features electro-plated tin construction. Grinds 3lbs per minute. Measures 11-7/8” x 10-1/2” x 3-3/4”. Limited lifetime warranty. Gift boxed. 7.2 lbs.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/KTGRNML.jpg
Grain Mill #150. Features cast iron construction and high hopper. Measures 17" x 16" x 6-1/2" fully assembled. 9.7 lbs.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/KTJUICE6.jpg
Juicer. Features long hand pedal with rubber grip and high quality chrome plated finish. Measures 10-1/4" x 19-1/2" x 7-1/4". Limited lifetime warranty. 15 lbs.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/KTVC7.jpg
Vegetable chopper. Includes 5 stainless steel cones (shredder, stringer, French fry cutter, slicer, and waffler) and a protective finger guard that can be removed for easy cleanup. Features 3 leg suction cup base for a firm grip and a chrome finish. Cones are dishwasher safe. Limited lifetime warranty. 6.1 lbs.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/KTMTMCR.jpg
Meat mincer. Features suction cup base for a firm grip, stainless steel and aluminum construction with high quality chrome plated finish. Measures 11" x 6-1/8" x 4-3/4". Limited lifetime warranty. Gift boxed. 2.8 lbs.

ExAcHog
10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
If the price was right, I would be interested in a meat grinder and a grain grinder.

Joewy
10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
where are they made?

cavemanlrrp
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I may be interested also.

Are you selling them?

Is there a reason you don't post more info here?
Like price, brand, specs, etc.
Hard to tell much from pictures.

Thanks for the post and any further info.

Best
caveman

problemchild
10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
$16 dollars online. Chinese!

ExAcHog
10-25-2011, 1:27 PM
Never heard of Buffalo tools. Will have to look into.

Got Stuff?
10-25-2011, 1:30 PM
$16 dollars online. Cheap chinese garbage! Dont waste your time.......

"Buffalo Tools is a premier wholesale importer"

The products I mentioned are NOT being sourced from "Buffalo Tools".

With all due respect, please do not post/spread misinformation about the product I posted in my thread. Also, if you wish to break forum rules by slamming a thread/poster, please do that elsewhere as well.

I'm looking for constructive conversation here.

Got Stuff?
10-25-2011, 1:42 PM
The items are made in China. Not all Chinese made stuff is junk.

I will forward an email to anyone that is interested with pictures, specs and prices, etc.

Yes, I would be selling them. However, the prices would dictate a $500 minimum order from me. Right now, I'm not selling these on a continuous basis. I was just curious if enough people would be interested enough for me to make an effort for a bulk purchase.

I will refrain from posting details here for the time being for obvious reasons.

Thanks

problemchild
10-25-2011, 3:13 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=7&gs_id=10&xhr=t&q=grain+grinder&biw=1152&bih=695&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11926301704512437667&sa=X&ei=RjSnTpTGF4OsrAfO4uziDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CIoBEPMCMAM

I do agree with you that not all things made in china are junk, but most are. Also the product is usually cost reflective of the quality inherit in them. A $16 dollar grain grinder does not inspire my confidence.

Now if you were group gathering a request (in the true spirit of group buy not promoting an online store) for a solid AMERICAN made HIGH quality grain grinder I would have been all in.
Something like this....
http://www.retsel.com/store/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/13/products_id/33/osCsid/ia0ti41ejn9jdls7mfg3ffibk4
http://www.retsel.com/madeinusa.jpg
http://www.retsel.com/store/images/retsellittleark.jpg
Little-Ark™ Grain & Seed Mill

Manufactured in our USA factory since 1962, this mill is...

The products I mentioned are NOT being sourced from "Buffalo Tools".

With all due respect, please do not post/spread misinformation about the product I posted in my thread. Also, if you wish to break forum rules by slamming a thread/poster, please do that elsewhere as well.

I'm looking for constructive conversation here.

Got Stuff?
10-25-2011, 5:01 PM
The link in my sig is NOT an online store for this product. As I stated from the start, I am not selling these grinders at this time. I am simply asking if anyone would be interested in a good deal. Any profit that I would make (if any at all) would simple cover my time and effort for such task. Since the pricing would require a $500 minimum order from me, I may not want to attempt the task.

I have not tested this product and I simply corrected your mis statement about the source. Better or not, I can't say.

There are no secrets. All the info is very available. I was trying to make this simple and straight forward and try to prevent thread stomping and people with bad attitudes with nothing better to do from loitering and moving off topic.

And do not try to defame/slander me by insinuating that I need to "come clean". That was NEVER an issue.

Have you tested one and reviewed it? What is your GB price? Please let me know how "sourcing" chinese stuff from another source makes it of higher quality? Why all the secrecy by email or pm only now?

("Yes, I would be selling them.")

Are you making any profit from this?

If you are personally selling them you need to move this thread. Also you need to be a vendor. The link in your sig is that an online store for this product? I think you need to come clean here and tell us what the deal is. JMO

problemchild
10-25-2011, 6:27 PM
Why not look for a higher quality grinder and Im sure others like myself would be more interested. Maybe one made here and lifetime warranty like the one I posted.

Like I said before sixteen dollars or less does not instill confidence in the quality.

Your idea to do a group buy on a grain grinder has not been attempted here before and its a good one. I just think you chose the wrong grinder to get the group to buy. But heck maybe Im wrong.

The link in my sig is NOT an online store for this product. As I stated from the start, I am not selling these grinders at this time. I am simply asking if anyone would be interested in a good deal. Any profit that I would make (if any at all) would simple cover my time and effort for such task. Since the pricing would require a $500 minimum order from me, I may not want to attempt the task.

I have not tested this product and I simply corrected your mis statement about the source. Better or not, I can't say.

There are no secrets. All the info is very available. I was trying to make this simple and straight forward and try to prevent thread stomping and people with bad attitudes with nothing better to do from loitering and moving off topic.

And do not try to defame/slander me by insinuating that I need to "come clean". That was NEVER an issue.

Mikeb
10-25-2011, 6:44 PM
The grain grinder shown looks like the old Corrona Grinder. That was the best coffee grinder I ever had... I gave it to an old room mate , I don't know why. I think the Corronas are still made. You might look into a group buy of those. I might bite
Mike

Got Stuff?
10-25-2011, 7:04 PM
problemchild:

You could be right! I don't know. :) My post is to gauge interest in an affordable product.

For example, I chose the more affordable products because I felt that more people would be able to take advantage of a $35 (total cost including tax and delivery) grain mill as opposed to a $200 mill. Also, not everyone needs a $200 mill. In addition, sourcing a US made product at a good price is much more difficult. Not to mention the fact that some US made products are quite inferior in quality as compared to the better quality imports.

I remember growing up with a "Made in China" meat grinder that is still used today.....40 years later.

I am considering on buying each of the 5 products myself and doing a review on each of them myself. I'll post the results if I do this.

64ssking
10-25-2011, 7:32 PM
I would like to see the review on all five products

damon1272
10-25-2011, 8:11 PM
If you change your mind and decide to do a group buy for US made grinders then I would be in. I have personally held off on buying a lower priced unit and would rather wait till I could swing for a better unit. Because if I have to use the damn thing then the S has really hit the fan.

covertcombatant
10-26-2011, 7:56 AM
I'd be in for a USA made grinder also.

problemchild
10-26-2011, 8:43 AM
The grain grinder shown looks like the old Corrona Grinder. That was the best coffee grinder I ever had... I gave it to an old room mate , I don't know why. I think the Corronas are still made. You might look into a group buy of those. I might bite
Mike

I found a corona on fleabay but they are 100 used. I do not think this is the same by the looks of it. Probably a knockoff. Also there is a writeup posted on grinding wheat for bread and baking. It is not so easy to get flour from the wheat berries. Many grinders cannot make the the flour fine enough for bread.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LANDERS-CORONA-KING-LARGE-GRAIN-MILL-BURR-GRINDER-GRIST-/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqJ,!hgE5omdzMe3BOiHzuJs4w~~60_3.JPG

Got Stuff?
10-26-2011, 6:31 PM
Which grain mill do you use and which mills work best?

problemchild
10-26-2011, 9:18 PM
Which grain mill do you use and which mills work best?

I have tested quite a few "in store" and there is a substantial difference. They are so different I would read the reviews on them before buying. The one I want to buy is very expensive. I was excited to see the group buy here and assumed it was for one of the expensive units for a big discount. Im like you though the cost keeps me away for now. The economy is kicking my azz right now.

If I can find that review I will post it. It basically said which units would make flour fine enough for bread and which stand up to time and which have spare parts etc. It was a good review.

anthonyca
10-26-2011, 10:03 PM
If you change your mind and decide to do a group buy for US made grinders then I would be in. I have personally held off on buying a lower priced unit and would rather wait till I could swing for a better unit. Because if I have to use the damn thing then the S has really hit the fan.

That's what I was thinking. That did make me laugh though.

Mikeb
10-26-2011, 11:36 PM
I found a corona on fleabay but they are 100 used. I do not think this is the same by the looks of it. Probably a knockoff. Also there is a writeup posted on grinding wheat for bread and baking. It is not so easy to get flour from the wheat berries. Many grinders cannot make the the flour fine enough for bread.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LANDERS-CORONA-KING-LARGE-GRAIN-MILL-BURR-GRINDER-GRIST-/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqJ,!hgE5omdzMe3BOiHzuJs4w~~60_3.JPG

Yeah that one has got the stone plates. The one I had used steel. You couldn't grind flour for bread but it was a great coffee grinder.
take care
Mike

Dubious_Beans
10-27-2011, 5:39 PM
The one I want to buy is very expensive.

If I can find that review I will post it. It basically said which units would make flour fine enough for bread and which stand up to time and which have spare parts etc. It was a good review.

I'd love to see the review if you find it.

What mill are you interested in that's so expensive?

problemchild
10-27-2011, 6:41 PM
I'd love to see the review if you find it.

What mill are you interested in that's so expensive?

This...

http://www.grainmillcomparison.com/

And this...

http://www.grainmillcomparison.com/2009_02_01_archive.html

And this...

http://www.grainmillcomparison.com/2009/03/country-living-mill-review.html

Plus this...

http://www.grainmillcomparison.com/2009/03/comparing-flours.html

And this....

http://www.grainmillcomparison.com/2009/03/grind-test-chart.html

Stormfeather
10-27-2011, 7:43 PM
Yea, grain mills are super expensive and I guess its for a reason. I purchased one for about $30.00 off of fleabay, and was immediately disappointed. If the OP has one that can grind grain fine enough to make bread out of it, then count me in on a group buy.

Dubious_Beans
10-27-2011, 8:19 PM
http://www.grainmillcomparison.com/2009/03/country-living-mill-review.html

Ahhhhh.... you want a Country Living Mill. Those are supposed to be very nice!

I have the "Family Grain Mill" attachment to fit my Electrolux mixer.
I need to build a stand and crank for it so I can use it manually also.

I agree with the reviewer that said it takes 2 passes to get flour that's fine enough for bread. But it goes pretty fast so it's not so bad.
I think it will be pretty durable. The plastic parts seem to be pretty quality.
I've only put about 10 lbs of wheat through it so far and about 2 lbs of oat groats.

I've also got the Family Oat Flaker, which does a great job of rolling oat groats.
I've got to order some more hard wheat berries & some oat groats next week...

Got Stuff?
10-27-2011, 9:36 PM
If I could find some of those $400 grain mills for a realistic price, I would bite. However, it's not looking good.

Something like this would not be used by me on a daily basis and quite frankly, if I'm thinking that I would be spending half a day grinding wheat for 2 loafs of bread after shtf.........it's just not going to happen. Not to mention the fact that I have no means to grow and harvest the wheat that I would need in the first place.

I imagine though, I would select the CLM if I had nothing better to do with $400.

Thanks for your interest in this post and I'll keep you all informed of any new developments.

In the meantime, I'll test these items out.

problemchild
10-28-2011, 4:07 AM
Yep I feel the same as you. I would rather have 6 months food then a grinder. I think the reason people buy grinders is so they can store wheat berries which have a 30+ year shelf life. Flour has a 1 year shelf life.

From every thing I have read making flour is expensive and a pita.

If I could find some of those $400 grain mills for a realistic price, I would bite. However, it's not looking good.

Something like this would not be used by me on a daily basis and quite frankly, if I'm thinking that I would be spending half a day grinding wheat for 2 loafs of bread after shtf.........it's just not going to happen. Not to mention the fact that I have no means to grow and harvest the wheat that I would need in the first place.

I imagine though, I would select the CLM if I had nothing better to do with $400.

Thanks for your interest in this post and I'll keep you all informed of any new developments.

In the meantime, I'll test these items out.

Dubious_Beans
10-28-2011, 8:56 AM
Yep I feel the same as you. I would rather have 6 months food then a grinder. I think the reason people buy grinders is so they can store wheat berries which have a 30+ year shelf life. Flour has a 1 year shelf life.

Yes, the whole berries keep for a very long time, but once ground into flour its nutritional value begins to deteriorate very quickly and the oils in the germ go rancid.

White flour keeps for a while (a year or so) because the bran and the germ have been removed so that it doesn't get rancid nearly so quickly.
But it leaves you with flour that's totally stripped of all it's nutritional goodness. White flour doesn't go bad quickly because there's nothing of value left to go bad...

From every thing I have read making flour is expensive and a pita.

Grinding flour in an *electric* powered mill is easy and fast. And it's TOTALLY worth it for the quality and flavor of the loaves it makes, not to mention the much improved nutritional value of using fresh whole wheat.

Lately I've been using a large percentage of fresh ground flour (and oat flour too) in my breads and we are loving it!
I've ordered a Nutrimill which will grind finer and faster than the "Family Grain Mill". But it's very much "electric only".

It would suck to have to grind all my flour by hand after SHTF, but as long as the power is on (or I've still got diesel to make power) I'll be willingly grinding my own flour just because the bread tastes so damned good. :)

With no electricity I can still use the Family Grain Mill, but I'll probably still save up for a top quality manual powered mill like the Country Living Mill or equivalent.

I just found out that our local Andy's Market can get me 50 lb sacks of white winter wheat berries for $56.
Not the cheapest price per lb that I've found, but I don't have to pay any shipping on it which makes it the cheapest total cost. Guess I need to get more buckets again...

ZenDaddy
10-28-2011, 3:25 PM
mmm:threadjacked:

emc002
10-28-2011, 3:35 PM

QFT! Start another thread, geez!

To answer the orginal post, I'm already in the market for a meat grinder and grain mill so I'd be interested in both of those.

Dubious_Beans
10-28-2011, 5:58 PM

OK, guilty as charged. My humblest apologies to all.

I hope the OP can find us a nice deal on some quality food processing hardware.

problemchild
10-28-2011, 6:00 PM

Post 23 has a ton of good info on grinders in those links. All you will ever need to know.

Got Stuff?
10-29-2011, 8:55 AM
I don't want to get off topic but I was wondering if anyone has used the grain mill attachment that is used with Kitchen Aid mixers.

I'm still looking at manual grinders but I would get more use out of an electric one and I already have a Kitchen Aid mixer.

Link (http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KGM/)

Also, I will be closing the deal very soon for post #1 and moving on. So if anyone has any questions please let me know. I will still be doing a review on those products so watch for that in the future.

Dubious_Beans
10-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't know about the grain mill, but I've had *3* KA mixers.

The first one stank from day one, and it burned up the motor within the first month of light use.
The 2nd one, which was our "warranty replacement" for the first, had a problem with one of the bearings and it spit little pieces of greasy, finely ground brass or bronze dust into the food being mixed. Not cool at all...
The 3rd one (warranty replacement again) the planetary ring gear worked loose in the housing and slipped out of position a little. That jammed up the pinion gear and as a result the top of the gearbox housing shattered with a most amazing "gear grinding" noise.

They sure looked nice on the kitchen counter though.

ZenDaddy
10-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Post 23 has a ton of good info on grinders in those links. All you will ever need to know.

lol you crack me up pc.

mmmmmselfpromoting:threadjacked:!

GotStuff, I'm in for a chinese meat grinder if you end up with a buy. pm me.

I can afford to gambol a few bucks, If it isn't any good I will look at other options. Thanks in advance for putting it together.

problemchild
10-29-2011, 5:04 PM
lol you crack me up pc.

mmmmmselfpromoting:threadjacked:!

GotStuff, I'm in for a chinese meat grinder if you end up with a buy. pm me.

I can afford to gambol a few bucks, If it isn't any good I will look at other options. Thanks in advance for putting it together.

Sorry you did not like the links. I did not write them I merely posted them for someone else who asked. If you read all of them they are very helpful and will help you make the best decision the first time around.

Anyway...... Your choice. How is talking about grinders IN A GRINDER THREAD thread jacking? Lets us know how your new chinese grinder works huh?

If you want flour from wheat berries only a few worked well.

ZenDaddy
10-29-2011, 5:49 PM
:gnorsi:

Got Stuff?
10-29-2011, 6:23 PM
The grain mill info posted so far has been good but this thread included four other items as well. Any thoughts on the other items?

I am working on being able to have all 5 of these items available for viewing at the Highland Farmers Market on Nov 19. If response is good, We MAY add them to our product line in the near future.

Do you think that posting prices here would help gain interest? Keep in mind that I also have to deal with mfg. MAP pricing restrictions which is one of the reasons I haven't made the prices public in this thread.

problemchild
10-29-2011, 7:14 PM
The grain mill info posted so far has been good but this thread included four other items as well. Any thoughts on the other items?

I am working on being able to have all 5 of these items available for viewing at the Highland Farmers Market on Nov 19. If response is good, We MAY add them to our product line in the near future.

Do you think that posting prices here would help gain interest? Keep in mind that I also have to deal with mfg. MAP pricing restrictions which is one of the reasons I haven't made the prices public in this thread.

I think buying one and using it and then posting your review would be very helpful. Try it and let us know how it works.

My only reservation is I have had the worst luck from chinese made stuff especially the low price stuff. Maybe your experiences are different than mine. Heck maybe everyone's is different.

For me I only need a wheat berry grinder. I am canning meat so grinding isnt necessary. In fact if I grind meat the meat seems to fall apart and become paste when I can it.

Like I said before I think you are on the right track Im just not sure if this is the right grinder.

Also this is just my tiny little opinion and maybe not worth much so take it for that.

damon1272
10-29-2011, 8:03 PM
One way to deal with MAP pricing is how many other companies do it. They list the price but when contacted for actual pricing through e mail the actual price you are willing to sell at is sent to you. An example of this is adco.com Check their MAP pricing and how they get around it with their Rock Rover arms products that they sell.

As for the links from PC, I was considering the wonder mill jr. but after reading the review I think money would be better spent on the CML mill. Like I said before. If I have to use the damn thing then the S has hit the fan.

Like buying a quality gun, I hope to never need to use it but if I do I want the best, as there won't be a back up available at that time.

Got Stuff?
10-31-2011, 6:19 PM
Very true indeed.

However, a $400 to $1,200 mill is out of the question for me. Although I can swing a $30 mill that may not be perfect but still works pretty darn well.:)

Anyway, we will be working on reviews for these products. We are currently working on a plan where we can post reviews to get the most exposure.

Got Stuff?
10-31-2011, 6:19 PM
Very true indeed.

However, a $400 to $1,200 mill is out of the question for me. Although I can swing a $30 mill that may not be perfect but still works pretty darn well.:)

Anyway, we will be working on reviews for these products. We are currently working on a plan where we can post reviews to get the most exposure.

Dubious_Beans
10-31-2011, 7:05 PM

Anyway, we will be working on reviews for these products.

Looking forward to the reviews. I'll be curious to see the texture of the flour that grinder makes.

Got Stuff?
10-31-2011, 9:37 PM
Looking forward to the reviews. I'll be curious to see the texture of the flour that grinder makes.

As far as the grain grinder goes, after reading about a dozen reviews and watching a few videos on youtube I pretty much know what to expect for corn, wheat, rice and beans. I'm mostly interested in product quality.

I think I have my review medium figured out. A few more tweaks and I'll be ready to give it a try.

Thanks for the input everyone! Keep it coming. :)