PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading...any classes?

Yute
02-14-2007, 1:45 PM
Hey all, I'm thinking about getting into reloading and have read a few beginners books/watched the sierra video, but I'm more of a hands-on type learner and wanted to know if there are any classes I can go to which teach reloading.
Probably not I guess? If there is I hope there's one in the Bay Area!

Alanski56
02-14-2007, 2:00 PM
In California! Are you kidding? Perhaps there are gun stores that will give a basics course but I don't know of any. I see that you're in the Bay Area, whereabouts? I live in Gilroy and have been reloading for a while now. It's actually pretty easy. If you possess basic mechanical understanding and capability then it's concentration and repeatability that you'll want to focus on. Let me know where in the Bay Area you are and perhaps we can get together for a chat. Once I determine that you are not a psychopath then I will invite you over for a reloading session.

thmpr
02-14-2007, 2:17 PM
I dont know of any business that provides this type of training. It is great that your reading up on it since that is where most people got directions from. And that is the how I started as well. The main thing is to place safety first. Where are you located? Someone can shine in on what the basics are in your area.

ocabj
02-14-2007, 2:48 PM
You could try and find an NRA certified metallic reloading course.

If TJ Johnston of Allsafe Defense schedules a certified instructor/trainer class for metallic reloading, I was going to enroll in it so I could get certified teach the official NRA metallic reloading course at my club.

xdpackin
02-14-2007, 3:45 PM
get a good reloading manual and go from there, or find somebody at the range who will show you how it is done... a good bit of reading will go along way.

Yute
02-15-2007, 1:06 PM
Hey all,
Thanks for the kind replies! I will definately be looking into an NRA course - The only one i can see on the website in cali is in socal but they are around.
Maybe I'll ask around the local companies as well...

Alanski56, thank you for the generous offer! Which range do you usually use? I usually am at Sunnyvale so perhaps I'll see you there sometime!

I'll probably try and go the certification route, as I didn't know the NRA had a full course in it - good to know!

Thanks again guys!

kenc9
02-15-2007, 2:42 PM
Hey all,
Thanks for the kind replies! I will definately be looking into an NRA course - The only one i can see on the website in cali is in socal but they are around.

Alanski56, thank you for the generous offer! Which range do you usually use? I usually am at Sunnyvale so perhaps I'll see you there sometime!

I'll probably try and go the certification route, as I didn't know the NRA had a full course in it - good to know!

Thanks again guys!

You need to find somebody reloading and help them and learn. Thats the only real way, you can read read and read but never really get what doing it teaches you. Take the time drive to where ever and help somebody reload.

-ken

ocabj
02-15-2007, 2:48 PM
You need to find somebody reloading and help them and learn. Thats the only real way, you can read read and read but never really get what doing it teaches you. Take the time drive to where ever and help somebody reload.

-ken

Not really. I just read the manuals and did it on my own.

anotherted
02-15-2007, 2:53 PM

Same here. Its really not that difficult.

kenc9
02-15-2007, 4:00 PM
Same here. Its really not that difficult.

Sure you can, I am not saying you can't but for me seeing the routine and then reading and doing, for me takes the "am I doing everything right" fear away. I just didn't want to have my 1911 blow up on me because a missed reading something.:D

-ken

ghostwong
02-15-2007, 11:40 PM
If you really want to attend a class. Angeles shooting Ranges has a "NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge and shotshell Reloading Class" for 125.00. It's down here in Los Angeles. 818-899-2255 x27. Good Luck

Alanski56
02-16-2007, 2:22 PM
Hey all,

Thanks again guys!

Yute! My pleasure!

I go to the Metcalf range in south San Jose for rifle shooting and typically Reed's for handgun. I've never been to the Sunnyvale or Los Altos ranges. It's a little far for me.

By the way, I started reloading by reading up on it and calling RCBS and asking them to fill in any gaps before I started. Their Speer #13 Reloading Manual was a very helpful step by step reference. Just educate yourself, take your time and when you have a question or concern, don't hesitate to call the manufacturer of whatever press you purchase. They should be more than happy to help. I know RCBS is. Never, ever guess at anything.

Have a nice day.

sorensen440
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I read the Speer reloading manual and fumbled thru it
I must admit there was a learning curve finding an experienced reloader would deffinatly be advisable
if not just take your time and dont load up 5000 rounds without testing them...
also keep saftey in mind
after filling your powder dispenser put the lid on it and close the powder bttl.
when putting the primers in and you feel resistanze dont press harder.
dont smoke
and dont let yourself get distracted ( I seated the bullets once on about 50 rnds before I realized I never put the powder in)

mike100
04-11-2007, 7:30 AM
I had the guy who sold me my reloader (thanks Sheldon) spend about 45 minutes or an hour going through some things and made a box of bullets- all hands on learning.

then I pretty much read an old lyman manual front to back

then absorbed the usual info on the internet.

then loaded a number of test batches until I learned how far to seat different bullets to work well and headspace properly in all my 45's.

I just got chrono info on about 8 different loads so now I will work up or down from that. reloading is fun..I'd advise just jumping in- the water is cold at first, but once you get started, everything makes sense.

pklin1297
04-11-2007, 7:53 PM
Fowler's Gun Room down in So. Cal. offers reloading seminars (free) every once in a while and are very helpful. But I don't think this is a viable option for you since you are in No. Cal.

Check this site for some great reloading videos for rent!
http://smartflix.com/store/category/36/Reloading

I have purchase a few of these videos before and they will show you step by step the process required and what to watch out for. Reading can still leave certain items to interpretation and reloading for the very first time can be a very daunting task and the process should not be left to interpretation.

Good luck.

ivanimal
04-11-2007, 9:52 PM
Ill teach ya PM me and we can get together. I live near Concord.

marksbb
04-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I could help out too, I live in San Jose if that's convenient for you. I reload rifle, pistol and shotgun.

I just noticed the date the thread started, oh well...

shooterx10
04-13-2007, 11:51 AM
If you purchase a Dillon 550B or XL650 machine, you can get a video that will show you how the machine works and how to do caliber conversions, proper loading techniques, etc.

http://dillonprecision.com/content/image/200/i_1045.jpg

Here is their website: www.dillonprecision.com

chiefcrash
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reloading/index.asp

a pretty good primer on reloading (primer meaning beginning reading, not cartridge component)

OZONE78
05-02-2007, 7:27 AM

+1 on that. Buy as many manuals as you can find and/ or afford. The Sierra "binder" is absolutely a MUST. Nosler, Barnes, Lee,Lapua (learn from a European point of view!), Speer, + all the free "booklet"-type manuals from the powder companies (Alliant, Accurate, Hodgdon, IMR,etc) are all available if you call the companies. I have all of the above++, a veritable feast of a reloading "LIBRARY", and I've been doing it for only about 2-3 yrs. w/ nothing but successful results. Never saw anyone do it in person.
OZ

nothing4u
05-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's a link to RCBS that has a video.

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=9

Learned how to reload from reading books and watching videos.

StukaJr
05-02-2007, 4:11 PM
Reloading Store at the Angeles Range offers classes - i wish I knew it when I've started, but I went the way of trial and marginal error by reading manuals and watching videos... It's not that manuals are incomplete, it's just harder to understand when enough is enough or when you are just creating extra work...

Speer Manual is comprehensive and good for the beginners, especially if you get RCBS products. Lee's Manual goes into more detail explaining tools and the desired effect.