PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed

DennisCA
10-24-2011, 1:40 PM
I have two C&R's; one is a 1943 Izhevsk 91-30, the other is a Yugo 24-47.

Here is the sit-rep: My son thinks I should re-do the 91-30, since it looks "beat-up" and give the gun a near-original finish- Pic as follows:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/mosinnagant0021.jpg/

As I said, the other is my newly-acquired Yugo 24-47.
Pic:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/yugo2447001.jpg/

My son doesn't like the shinny finish and thinks I should strip it and give a more "el-natural" color.
Here's my thoughts, first the Mosin:
I am torn about re-finishing it, since it has that :been-there-done-that look.
The Yugo am really against doing it, since I like that finish and it is smooth as glass!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE - THANKS!:oji:

C&Rtrader
10-24-2011, 2:47 PM
Forget about re sale and value of the rifle. A good father son project is worth far more than that.

I am all for keeping guns original but there are more than enough 91/30s floating around out there. I would make a fun weekend project out of it. Let him pick the stain, color, etc etc. He will probably remember it for the rest of his life. If you have enough fun.. then do the Yugo.

I may get flamed for that but I will stand by it. Some of my favorite rifles are ones that my father and I cleaned, sanded and re-stained together. I think about him every time I shoot them and would never sell them.

Lucky Scott
10-24-2011, 3:09 PM
My first response would be to say dont touch them.
But after reading the post about the father son project, I changed my mind. Spend the time with your son re-doing the guns.

yellowsled
10-24-2011, 3:49 PM
Hit the 1943 91/30.

TheExpertish
10-24-2011, 4:10 PM
Tell your son to get his own guns. ;) If you're not comfortable messing with the ones you have then get a new one you can make a project. Projects are fun.

Flyin Brian
10-24-2011, 4:16 PM
I'm usually a purist, but a father/son project sounds like the only reasonable excuse I can think of to refinish a Mosin, and there is nothing "less-rare" than a 1943 Izhevsk.

TMcC
10-24-2011, 4:21 PM
Forget about re sale and value of the rifle. A good father son project is worth far more than that.

I am all for keeping guns original but there are more than enough 91/30s floating around out there. I would make a fun weekend project out of it. Let him pick the stain, color, etc etc. He will probably remember it for the rest of his life. If you have enough fun.. then do the Yugo.

I may get flamed for that but I will stand by it. Some of my favorite rifles are ones that my father and I cleaned, sanded and re-stained together. I think about him every time I shoot them and would never sell them.

^
Exactly.

With $79 Mosin's from J&G (and elsewhere I'm sure) it's a great project. You'll probably end up spending more than $79 on solvents, stains, bluing, various grains of sand paper and so on. I heard/read somewhere that the Russians built something like 17 Million 91/30's, seems like restoring one for your needs is not going to impact that collection.

mosinnagantm9130
10-24-2011, 8:58 PM
I don't have any problem with the father/son project thing, mostly because of what C&Rtrader and FB said, but refinishing it to give it a "near-original" finish seems kind've pointless when it already has an original finish. :shrug:

bruceflinch
10-24-2011, 9:50 PM
I don't have any problem with the father/son project thing, mostly because of what C&Rtrader and FB said, but refinishing it to give it a "near-original" finish seems kind've pointless when it already has an original finish. :shrug:

:iagree:
How old is your son, Dennis?

billybob_jcv
10-24-2011, 11:03 PM
When my son starts paying the bills, THEN he can start telling me what he likes and doesn't like... :p

But, the answer seems obvious - buy your son his own M91/30 and then help him refinish it if that's what he wants to do!

hypnoman
10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I think you should have lots of fun and do a project gun with him!

DennisCA
10-25-2011, 2:47 PM
:iagree:
How old is your son, Dennis?

He's 22 years old (college student)

DennisCA
10-25-2011, 2:48 PM
When my son starts paying the bills, THEN he can start telling me what he likes and doesn't like... :p

But, the answer seems obvious - buy your son his own M91/30 and then help him refinish it if that's what he wants to do!

He does own his own guns: A M44 and a Garand:oji: