PDA

View Full Version : SKS-D w/ detachable mag

thefinger
02-14-2007, 1:28 PM
I'm in Missouri right now and a guy I know has offered to sell me his Norinco SKS-D for $200. I think its a really cool gun, and I know I can have a regular SKS in CA, but is this specific model with the detachable magazine legal?

I looked at the California Firearms Laws Booklet for 2006 and noticed that it lists "SKS with detachable magazine" as an AW, but I thought I'd check with you guys anyways.

http://www.imagebee.org/images/869sksrifle_02.jpe

PanzerAce
02-14-2007, 1:29 PM
I would stay WAY away from that.

thefinger
02-14-2007, 1:30 PM
I would stay WAY away from that.

haha OKAY.

thefinger
02-14-2007, 1:33 PM
I guess I could always go with the Saiga that looks just like it....

!@#$
02-14-2007, 2:39 PM
$200 is a steal for that rifle. they sell for around $350 or so. the 20 inch barrel is a more rare version and is worth a little more. tell him to list it on gunboards.com. it should me marked as an sks-d or sks-m. if not then it is a garage conversion and not worth the $200 as i doubt it would run.

aklover_91
02-14-2007, 2:52 PM
plus SKS's with detachable mags count as AW's here in Kali.

CWM4A1
02-14-2007, 2:55 PM
The Norinco SKS that takes AK mag (as in picture) is being ban by CA. The buy-back program back in 1999 was specifically targeting these guns, as it was being deem legal to own when imported during early 90's but later strike down by DOJ. Unlike other AW where registration period was available, SKS-D by norinco is not legal to own by anyone in CA because registration was never available. This is completely different from the "duckbill" magazine SKS, because at least duckbill mag SKS can still be converted back to standard SKS that uses fixed 10rd mags. If you are not in CA, then enjoy this gun as it's legal at free states.

anotherone
02-14-2007, 6:10 PM
plus SKS's with detachable mags count as AW's here in Kali.

Although SKS's with detachable mags count as AWs in California, Yugoslavian M-59 rifles do not :D!

aklover_91
02-14-2007, 7:14 PM
They sure don't, I love my 59/66, just wish it didn't have that ugly muzzle break welded on.

azn_wrx
02-14-2007, 8:16 PM
I belive technically speaking there is no such thing as an SKS-D. IIRC no Norinco SKS was ever stamped SKS-D, dealers refered to them as the detachable magazine sks's. In 89 Bush senior banned the import of these SKS's. I believe Norinco's answer to this was the SKS-M post ban version. Someone who knows more please chime but I think the SKS-D was legal for people to buy before 89.

Found a thread with information on it:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=440.0

grammaton76
02-14-2007, 9:23 PM
As an SKS fan, I believe that if you actually have family members outside of CA, I'd see about buying that rifle and having it stored out of state. That's definitely a great price.

anotherone
02-14-2007, 9:28 PM
I belive technically speaking there is no such thing as an SKS-D. IIRC no Norinco SKS was ever stamped SKS-D, dealers refered to them as the detachable magazine sks's. In 89 Bush senior banned the import of these SKS's. I believe Norinco's answer to this was the SKS-M post ban version. Someone who knows more please chime but I think the SKS-D was legal for people to buy before 89.

Found a thread with information on it:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=440.0

I think it was Lungren and not Robert-Roos that cracked down on detachable mag SKS models by Norinco with AK mags in 1991.

thefinger
02-15-2007, 1:31 AM
As an SKS fan, I believe that if you actually have family members outside of CA, I'd see about buying that rifle and having it stored out of state. That's definitely a great price.

I wish that was the case, but I'm just a college student in Missouri right now. I have made some gun-toting friends out here through craigslist, surprisingly enough. You'd be amazed at the kind of deals you can get on rifles out here. People are selling rifles I see for $400 in Sacramento for about $200 here, and on a consistent basis. Its too bad I'm a college student on a shoestring-budget and I can barely afford one of those great deals. The good thing is I can buy an OLL here easily and with only a $20 transfer fee, compared to the $80 the shop charges in Sac. Happy shooting and God bless.

AJAX22
02-15-2007, 7:39 AM
I know a guy who has one here in CA

he modified it with a 10 round mag and a maglock so its no longer a 'detachable mag'

so there is at least 1 legal sks-m in california

Bolt2Bounce
02-15-2007, 9:02 PM
That is a SKS Sporter -para it's a good buy at $200. They sold for around $365 and up back when the were imported, and it is not-legal to have in California unless you are Military or a Law-Man. info posted before was correct they were legally sold in PRK after R-roots ban and then a lawsuit was filed by HCI, I believe and the DOJ didn't choose to fight it, so they were declared Detach mag SKS and made into AW's They were bought back on the tax payers nickel. :mad: They don't run as well as the longer barreled sporter with the thumb hole stocks, but are fun as they make large fireballs when bump fired :D ..... B2B

thefinger
02-15-2007, 9:56 PM
That is a SKS Sporter -para it's a good buy at $200. They sold for around $365 and up back when the were imported, and it is not-legal to have in California unless you are Military or a Law-Man. info posted before was correct they were legally sold in PRK after R-roots ban and then a lawsuit was filed by HCI, I believe and the DOJ didn't choose to fight it, so they were declared Detach mag SKS and made into AW's They were bought back on the tax payers nickel. :mad: They don't run as well as the longer barreled sporter with the thumb hole stocks, but are fun as they make large fireballs when bump fired :D ..... B2B

The guy who was willing to sell me that sks also had the thumbhole stock version.... people here take them for granted.

bwiese
02-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I advise staying away from any Chinese SKS w/detachable magazine.
Certainly Russian SKSes should not have detachable magazines either.

Yugo Zastava M59 and M59/66es, as well as the Albanian Model ??? are *not* SKSes and are merely rifles of Simonov design. As such, there is no state restriction on these "non-SKS Simonovs" having a detachable magazine.