PDA

View Full Version : Expect trouble from BLM out near Barstow? (OLLs, BBs, Featureless, LCMs, AR pistol)

GettoPhilosopher
10-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok, little bit of background. A few buddies and I are going camping in a couple weeks. We're hitting up the spot AndrewMendez used for the Super Secret Zombie Shoot (thanks Andrew!)...BLM land out in the middle of nowhere north of Barstow.

The group's all young, and we're bringing a lot. OLLs (both featureless and BB'ed), legally-owned large capacity magazines (both USGI ones and ones repaired with PMAG parts), an eeeeevil Saiga 12, and one AR pistol.

I've been confident enough with my collection and its legality, but I've always been shooting in non-isolated areas. I'm not terribly worried about being accosted at ASR in front of 100 shooters with ARs, nor about SWAT kicking down my door because they don't know that AR pistols are legal, etc.

That being said, it seems like most of the "horror stories" on Calguns start with "I was out on BLM/forest service/public land, and a LEO came up....". Between that and the fact that even pro-gun Calgunners on here have started threads to the effect of "anyone under the age of 30 with LCMs are lying felons", I'm wondering....how worried should I be? I'll definitely have the flowcharts and relevant documents out (for instance, the "you can repair old mags with new parts" letter), but should I leave some of the stuff behind (I'm thinking specifically the LCMs)?

I'd appreciate any input you guys have.

Connor P Price
10-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I've been out there countless times and never seen another person the whole time I was there. I've never been concerned about the 5 or more EBR's we always have with us.

Tango_Whiskey
10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Keep your "Hi-Cap" magazines out of your OLL's. But that goes without saying.

WDE91
10-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Keep your "Hi-Cap" magazines out of your OLL's. But that goes without saying.

Huh??? Tango_Whiskey there are featureless rifles...

but I do agree, keep 10+ magazines out of featured rifles

PsychGuy274
10-23-2011, 1:06 PM
I shot on BLM land out near the border when I lived in San Diego and I've had Border Patrol come up to me every time and they were always awesome. I almost convinced one of them to shoot with us, but he ended up declining :(

Anyways one of the dudes told me that there was an undercover sheriff driving in an unmarked car that, "would arrest you and take all of your guns because you have ARs and AKs with you." I told him that they were legal and he said that HE knew that, but that the sheriff guy was a douche like that. However, I've never seen this sheriff and I haven't heard of anyone who has.

Twystd1
10-23-2011, 9:06 PM
You should be aware that ANYONE with a badge may tell you that you have something illegal. Also be aware that they are usually full of crap.

That has been my experience over the last 4 years on BLM land.

And you can't make em wrong. They eventually say something like. "Well... now that you know all your mags and some of your guns are illegal, don't come back here. I will let you go this time"

I am so over this crap....

Now back to my cigar.

T

Meplat
10-23-2011, 9:16 PM
BLM cops are the worst! I remember when BLM didn't even have cops! What's up with that? Are they afraid someone will steel all their cactus?You should be aware that ANYONE with a badge may tell you that you have something illegal. Also be aware that they are usually full of crap.

That has been my experience over the last 4 years on BLM land.

And you can't make em wrong. They eventually say something like. "Well... now that you know all your mags and some of your guns are illegal, don't come back here. I will let you go this time"

I am so over this crap....

Now back to my cigar.

T

stitchnicklas
10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
was up there on the 1st and blm drove by,never even slowed down.

2 ar's were being shot in plain view

Quiet
10-24-2011, 5:46 AM
Check to see what you can legally discharge in that area.

San Bernardino County shooting map (countywide) (http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf)

haole_50
10-24-2011, 6:25 AM
I have my special "mine pit" that I go to and it's in the "SHOTGUN ONLY" BLM designated area. We use shotguns, pistols and 22s - not even a ghost appears while we enjoy our relaxation time. We even have met SWAT members who are doing personal shooting in prep for ZOMBIE time.

erik_26
10-24-2011, 7:55 AM
For some reason or another, BLM officers are making it very uncomfortable to shoot on BLM land as of recently.

I am guessing they are hoping to weed out people by showing a presence and putting people through the gambit.

I think shooting is becoming popular again. Which is good. But it also brings bad with it.

I have never been to where the OP is going, so I can't say who or how many LEOs (if any) he will see.

Just keep your camp well organized, keep all the garbage picked up. Stay 100% legal. If you think something is questionable, leave it out until you fully understand it's legality. Also, stay safe. If you have a bunch of people going, establish a firing line. Have someone be in charge (you know just officially announce seize fire when stopping to changing targets.... visually make sure the guns are cleared before going down range....etc).

I think BLM likes to watch from a ridge/distance first to see what you are all about. So if it looks like you guys are organized, safe & clean, they might just leave you alone.

vantec08
10-24-2011, 8:26 AM
The only serious problem I've ever had with a badge was a BLM cowboy-type ranger in the CIMA mining district. I have seen them a couple of hills away glassing us but nothing came of it. I will tell you this - -- it seems every LEA reject has been recruited by the feds as rangers. Part of it is the Supreme Power of the State mentality, part is the feeling of openess and isolation on the desert range (if you can get away with "fudging", so can they), and part is an authority-personality power trip.

Databyter
10-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I shot on BLM land out near the border when I lived in San Diego and I've had Border Patrol come up to me every time and they were always awesome. I almost convinced one of them to shoot with us, but he ended up declining :(

Anyways one of the dudes told me that there was an undercover sheriff driving in an unmarked car that, "would arrest you and take all of your guns because you have ARs and AKs with you." I told him that they were legal and he said that HE knew that, but that the sheriff guy was a douche like that. However, I've never seen this sheriff and I haven't heard of anyone who has.

I used to live out there and I think I know which Sheriff that is.

I knocked him on his caboose once at a party (not in his role as LE, but as the rude stupid drunk guy), so take consolation in that.

(p.s. I'm not anti LE, Just sayin)

Phouty
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Strange, bacause I've been using a BLM for shooting near Barstow area for approx. 20 years. :oji:
Never had any problems with the rangers.
They came few times though. Had a friendly conversation, but nothing dramatic.
Only once a rookie BLM agent asked me whether I mind him writing down the licence plate numbers of my Jeep.
:facepalm:

I offered to write down my licence plate for him in a case he could'n read it himself.
The guy was gone in no time! :p

Damn True
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Boy that's a lot of acronyms.

SJgunguy24
10-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Know the laws inside and out, take copies of the relevent PC and case law with you and tell them to do their homework. In the mean time you'll be getting back to exercising your second amendment. He did take an oath to uphold and defend that right.

amd64
10-25-2011, 6:06 AM
Just keep your camp well organized, keep all the garbage picked up. Stay 100% legal. If you think something is questionable, leave it out until you fully understand it's legality. Also, stay safe. If you have a bunch of people going, establish a firing line. Have someone be in charge (you know just officially announce seize fire when stopping to changing targets.... visually make sure the guns are cleared before going down range....etc).

I think BLM likes to watch from a ridge/distance first to see what you are all about. So if it looks like you guys are organized, safe & clean, they might just leave you alone.

+1. The easiest way to attract unwanted scrutiny is to behave like uncontrolled, undisciplined, unsafe, slob shooters.

automatikdonn
10-25-2011, 6:37 AM
The USGI mags are not legal in my understanding unless you have an AW exemption and you are active duty. They are for military use, not civilian use as explained to me by a very very Pro Gun CHP.

QQQ
10-25-2011, 6:59 AM
The USGI mags are not legal in my understanding unless you have an AW exemption and you are active duty. They are for military use, not civilian use as explained to me by a very very Pro Gun CHP.

Never heard of such a rule. Sounds like FUD unless PC is cited.
Pro-gun folks can be just as guilty of it as antis.

Barabas
10-25-2011, 7:05 AM

This is why you never take legal advice from Law Enforcement. Next time you talk to him, ask him what PC USGI mags violate.

Sniper3142
10-25-2011, 7:28 AM

Totally Wrong.

LCMs (Large Capacity Magazines) are totally LEGAL to own and use.

They can be used in RAW (Registered Assault Weapon) as well as Featureless OLLs.

Sounds like your CHP pal is totally clueless about firearm laws.

:(

Munk
10-25-2011, 3:30 PM
Large cap's shouldn't be an issue if you're using them legally. (No fixed mag rifles that aren't RAW).

OLL's BB's, etc... Again. Be legal.

If a beligerent officer makes an appearance, be sure you and your friends take note of their name, number, other identifying factors. Get a map that shows the shooting areas if possible so that if they try to lie to you, you can tell them to bugger off.

1BigPea
10-25-2011, 3:35 PM

FAIL! :facepalm:

anthonyca
10-25-2011, 4:19 PM

Read my sig line.

erik_26
10-25-2011, 4:52 PM
Read my sig line.

I like the Sig line! Very good point.

cdtx2001
10-25-2011, 5:33 PM

This is why I NEVER ask a LEO for what is legal and what isn't.

To the OP:

Be safe and have fun out there.

If you do have an encounter with LEOs be polite, but know your relevant laws better than they do.

And remember most of all to STFU if some rookie cowboy type BLM officer is trying to jam you up.

Librarian
10-25-2011, 5:56 PM

Already noted this is incorrect, but please see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409 for the explanation.

rero360
10-25-2011, 7:36 PM
I'm actually planning to go out to that exact spot this coming sunday with a few other friends and attempt a 1 mile shot with my .308 probably will lose our little wager (hit on the 5th shot) but I think I can afford the cup of starbucks and it'll be fun anyways.

GettoPhilosopher
10-26-2011, 8:41 AM
I'm actually planning to go out to that exact spot this coming sunday with a few other friends and attempt a 1 mile shot with my .308 probably will lose our little wager (hit on the 5th shot) but I think I can afford the cup of starbucks and it'll be fun anyways.

Let me know how that goes!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

GettoPhilosopher
11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Quick final question...."No shooting within 150 yards of campsite". Is that an ESTABLISHED campsite, or does that mean I have to set up the firing line 150 yards away from the tent?