PDA

View Full Version : glock 26 vs. 3" barrrel springers

high_revs
02-14-2007, 5:49 AM
asking for a friend... other than the ammo difference, pros and cons between both? he wants something in the size of a glock 26 (was set on it) but the 3" barrel springers caught his eye.

lunde
02-14-2007, 5:58 AM
I have found that there are two primary factors that affect one's ability to shoot a pistol well: 1) how well the pistol fits the hand, which is subjective, and varies from person to person; and 2) the trigger, and more importantly one's ability to control it.

In terms of ergonomics, the subcompact Glocks and XD really require fondling, due to the subjective nature of hand-fit. The Glock trigger has a shorter reset, but the XD trigger generally feels lighter and smoother, which can make up for the lack of a short reset. Again, this is subjective, and ultimately depends on the person acquiring the pistol.

Other subcompact pistols to explore are the HK P2000 SK (I suggest V3 over V2), Walther P99c (I suggest AS over QA), and Smithb & Wesson M&P Compact.

ocabj
02-14-2007, 6:51 AM
I owned the Glock 23 and 27 (.40S&W 4" and 3" models). I sold those a few years back. Then I just recently (3 weeks ago) acquired the XD40 5".

Having owned both designs in the same cartridge, I would have to say the XD is the better design for me. I prefer the 1911 style grip angle and the grip safety. The chamber loaded indicator is a nice feature as well as the external striker indicator. The only negative aspect of the XD is the trigger. The pretravel, overtravel, and reset are not very good, even for a factory trigger. I am going to send mine to Springer Precision soon for a trigger job.

Between a G26 and a XD9SC, I'd go with the XD9SC. But, if you plan on choosing a fullsize 9mm for competition, I would definitely choose the Glock since you can use the 17, 19, or 33 round magazines that you bought before 2000.

Fjold
02-14-2007, 7:11 AM
My next pistol purchase will probably be a Springfield 3", I like the concealability and have never been a Glock fan.

ianS
02-14-2007, 7:50 AM
Go with the Glock 26 or the other subcompact P99, XD or M&P's out there. According to most 1911 experts 1911's under 5" tend to be the most problematic esp. the 3" versions. Its not impossible to get a reliable 3" 1911 but your chances are better with Glock. Long term durability is also an issue with "Micro-1911's". The light polymer construction of the G26 makes them more carry friendly over a hunk of steel. Subcompacts are guns of "last resort" or "better than nothing" solutions. You don't necessarily have to like it or be a "fan". You need it to be reliable and have it with you when you need it.

My .02 cents.

bu-bye
02-14-2007, 8:06 AM
Go with the Glock 26 or the other subcompact P99, XD or M&P's out there. According to most 1911 experts 1911's under 5" tend to be the most problematic esp. the 3" versions. Its not impossible to get a reliable 3" 1911 but your chances are better with Glock. Long term durability is also an issue with "Micro-1911's". The light polymer construction of the G26 makes them more carry friendly over a hunk of steel. Subcompacts are guns of "last resort" or "better than nothing" solutions. You don't necessarily have to like it or be a "fan". You need it to be reliable and have it with you when you need it.

My .02 cents.

I really could not have said it better. Pick the gun that fits the job not what feels best. When I was looking for a carry pistol I wanted something that was reliable right out of the box, was small for easy carry, and had the stopping power. Subcompacts are not pistols you will be shooting hundreds of rounds off at one range trip so if it does not fit like a glove don't worry about it. Reliability, stopping power, and size are the key things to look at when buying a carry gun. I bought the G27 and have zero regrets. Sure there are sexier guns but the glock filled every need I had.

saki302
02-14-2007, 8:07 AM
In that size range, I personally like the 2"-3" barreled revolvers better. They're easier to pocket and/or conceal, absolutely reliable, and light if you can handle the recoil (scandium .357).
I had a G26, and to be honest, the G19 shoots a lot better, and is only marginally more difficult to carry. The G26 is not a pocket gun by any stretch.
The Kahr PM9 is about the cutoff for true pocketability.

-Dave

Teletiger7
02-14-2007, 3:03 PM
Short barrelled 1911s are notorious for "reliability issues". Meaning they are more likely to jam.

xdpackin
02-14-2007, 3:08 PM
I really like the short barrel 1911, if that is what you practice with (1911) it is good to have the same config for a carry gun

metalhead357
02-14-2007, 3:40 PM

My .02 cents.

As BB said.... I couldnt have said it better; I personally dislike Glocks though I carry a 26; and LOVE springfields.......but in this one case I would definitely say go Glock.