PDA

View Full Version : Peanut butter alert

cavemanlrrp
10-23-2011, 9:01 AM
Looks like the price of peanut butter will be going up, do to poor peanut crop.
May want to stock up now rather than later if you like the stuff, I do.

I first heard it from a investing letter I get.
I also saw a blurb at SHTFplan.com , see: time to stock up.
Or just Google it, if you care.

Best
caveman

Ripon83
10-23-2011, 9:16 AM
Read this, but I think retailers started addressing it some time ago. I'm betting a lot of the increase is already in there.

G-Man WC
10-23-2011, 9:21 AM
The price of everything is going up!
I guess it all depends where you shop. I was in Safeway and Lucky the
other day and was shocked to see some of the prices on a variety
of items. -g

cavemanlrrp
10-23-2011, 9:33 AM
Read this, but I think retailers started addressing it some time ago. I'm betting a lot of the increase is already in there.

Yep, all food has been going up, and I believe it well continue to go up in future.

The blurb at SHTF mentioned 40% in the next few weeks. Don't know how true that will be, but thought it worth a heads up.
I think the stuff keeps pretty well. Makes excellent mouse trap bait too. ;)

Best
caveman

dominic
10-23-2011, 9:44 AM
Looks to me like everything is going up, though it doesn't specificially mention peanuts or other nuts. http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/CPIFoodAndExpenditures/Data/cpiforecasts.htm

Sunday
10-23-2011, 3:15 PM
Now is too late for peanut butter.

cavemanlrrp
10-23-2011, 4:22 PM
Now is too late for peanut butter.

You may be right.
Wife just came back from store, 40 oz Jiff= $4.68
I'll have to see what it cost a month from now.

Wish I had kept track of what I paid for the jars I bought over the last year or so for my stash. Then I could dollar cost average and find out...

Oh never mind!

Maybe I can get ahead of the big move in jelly.

Best
caveman

Fireguy
10-24-2011, 1:31 PM
Local and national news outlets have done a number of stories about price increases in peanut butter. It seems that do to a major crop failure in the 3 rd world, they are talking about a 40% increase in the price of peanut butter. The price increase may have happened already do to the news that is at least 3 weeks old. The news any shortage real or imagined, there could be hoarding of PB but jelly is in good supply.

stix213
10-24-2011, 2:44 PM
There is an individual excuse for upping the price on virtually everything. Oil cause of latest middle east drama, corn cause its going to cars instead of mouths, rice cause there are lots of people in asia, the list goes on and on.

JAGACIDA
10-24-2011, 2:56 PM
Enjoy it now, these are the good old days of peanut butter. Actually, my wife picked up 3- 3 lb tubs at a local supermarket for about the same price as before. It was not the crunchy style which I so love however.

chris
10-24-2011, 2:59 PM
just look at the price of oil and fuel and take it from there. gas has gone up steadily since Obama took office. now is he directly responsible? no. but he does have something to do with it.

gas when Obama was sworn into office. $2.039
today in 2011 $3.839
that is a $1.03 increase that's alot of money a month or week to spend on gas.
now this is what is in my area in santa ana and fountain valley. we all know fuel prices have an impact on prices ranging from food to goods and services. the guy in the white house has not helped at all when it comes to an engergy policy in this country.

obama in energy prices when he was candidate Obama.

HlTxGHn4sH4

and pretty much they have gone up. and think that he gives a crap if it affects businesses in hiring people to work? i doubt he does.

bsg
10-24-2011, 7:28 PM
great. i'm now making generic coffee in the morning, and here comes the peanut butter crunch.

rodog
10-25-2011, 9:24 AM
I wonder if buying peanuts is cheaper than buying peanut butter by the pound. If they are cheaper, then why not vacuum seal them in bunches and make your own peanut butter when you want? I may have to try the numbers, but I need a high speed blender with a good motor.

JoeinLA
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
INFLATION. I see this in so many things. Home prices collapsed, and in order to keep prices from falling even more, we printed money. That's an artificial support, and the result is that we cant yet get to "true value" for homes, and we're fueling a huge price increase for everything else.

Just my $0.00002. I'm no economist, but i see prices increasing relatively dramatically for many, many items. Maybe this slower cycling of the decline in home prices is good in the long run (since home values make up such a huge portion of the average man's wealth), that we'll OK with paying more for penut butter. Shrug. Americans created an artificial economy built on unsustainable debt and leveraging, and then wonder why the economy fell so much. Well, duh. My wife and I talked about this back in 2005.

xrMike
10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
How long does a sealed jar of brand new PB stay good for, assuming ideal storage conditions (cool, dark)?

Got Stuff?
10-25-2011, 4:55 PM
You can never have too much peanut butter! A good amount of calories in a small package. Mayo is good for calories too.

Sideline Shooter
10-25-2011, 6:24 PM
I wonder if this going to only affect peanut butter or all peanut products. Thanksgiving is coming up and peanut oil is used alot for deep frying turkeys. Peanut oil is expensive as it is already, now add a 40% increase. Yikes!! Might be a lot of folks are going to KFC for thanksgiving!!

Tenamaxtle
10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
just look at the price of oil and fuel and take it from there. gas has gone up steadily since Obama took office. now is he directly responsible? no. but he does have something to do with it.

gas when Obama was sworn into office. $2.039
today in 2011 $3.839
that is a $1.03 increase that's alot of money a month or week to spend on gas.
now this is what is in my area in santa ana and fountain valley. we all know fuel prices have an impact on prices ranging from food to goods and services. the guy in the white house has not helped at all when it comes to an engergy policy in this country.

obama in energy prices when he was candidate Obama.

and pretty much they have gone up. and think that he gives a crap if it affects businesses in hiring people to work? i doubt he does.

Please before Obama was elected gas prices at my local gas station where well over $4.00, he took office and has been rising but is less than $4.00 right now.

No I don't think Obama has a say in prices, Is just part of the skewed marketing system which is not reigned by Offer and Demand anymore