PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Lock-n-Load AP Progressive?

50BMGBOB
02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Has anyone used this press? How does it compare to a Dillion? I'm looking to get a progressive press mainly to load rifle ammo, 308, 223, 7mm Rem Mag. I know Dillon is a bigger name but is it really worth the extra money?

grammaton76
02-14-2007, 1:34 AM
Dunno about Hornady... I've heard nothing but horror stories about Lee progressives, but I kinda doubt Hornady is as bad.

eckerph
02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I own a L-n-L AP and i really like it. I never loaded on a dillon so i cant make a comparison between the two but the thing that swayed me towards the Hornady was the fact it only cost $23 for a shell plate where as the dillon cost like $40-50 for a caliber conversion and the L-n-L bushing system is nice and cheaper than those Dillon toolheads too. I just wish the Hornady came with a roller handl.

Matt-man
02-14-2007, 3:43 PM
I have one that I use for .357 and .44 Mag, plus .308 Win and .260 Rem. It has been pretty trouble-free for me. I put together a web page with some info on the press... it's here (http://www.icantping.com/~mmasuda/hornady_info.html).

eckerph: There's a guy at THR who modified a Dillon roller handle to fit the LnL AP. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

eckerph
02-14-2007, 6:40 PM
I have one that I use for .357 and .44 Mag, plus .308 Win and .260 Rem. It has been pretty trouble-free for me. I put together a web page with some info on the press... it's here.

Hey, that was a really good write up on the L-n-L, Iv also used the dowel and tape system to warn of low primers, iv also used an angle grinder on my lee dies so i can use the fifth station.

DRM6000
02-14-2007, 9:54 PM
check out hornady's website for their promotions. i think if you buy the press you get like 1000 free bullets or something. i can't remember the details, but it seemed like a helluva deal.

Matt-man
02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Iv also used the dowel and tape system to warn of low primers

I've since discovered that the Dillon primer warning system works on the LnL AP. You just need to trim a little off the bottom of the rod.

Here's the thread where the guy puts the Dillon roller handle on his Hornady: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=250163

50BMGBOB
02-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Yes, Hornady will send you 1000 bullets of your choice of caliber, there choice of their bullet, if you buy one this year, you pay shipping, about $15. Figure about $200 worth. The press is cheaper to start with. It looks to me to be sturdier, confrimed by a guy I met at the range with both. I haven't actually seen it so I wanted a few more opinions before I buy. I have to wait for my tax return anyway. But I am leaning towards it.

eckerph
02-15-2007, 2:20 PM
've since discovered that the Dillon primer warning system works on the LnL AP. You just need to trim a little off the bottom of the rod.

Here's the thread where the guy puts the Dillon roller handle on his Hornady: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=250163

Hey thanx for the info, I would have never known.