PDA

View Full Version : survival crops

HIG541
10-22-2011, 6:54 PM
hey, planting a big garden again this year in the yard and am going to try and do some survival type crops.

i'm thinking about tobbacco for an insecticide, antibiotic, stimulant. can you guys give me some others that would be beneficial?

xgi1991
10-22-2011, 7:04 PM
cotton (grows great at my AO, 1650 feet, seeds used to feed milk cows), hemp (yes pot), poppy, tobacco is a good one as well, a bit harder than the rest, but if you can pull it off, it will be better than gold.

REPR
10-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Can't go wrong with beans, squash, or corn. If you have the land some wheat or oats are great survival foods to. I've also spent many years now planting berries at various locations around the county. Once established they take no maintenance around these parts and gives me multiple options for shtf base camps with natural thorn barriers. Probably plant around 30 plants a year along with multiple bean varieties in the same area as they take zero maintenance also. My family thought it was a hair brained scheme a decade ago. Now we get a large harvest of blackberries, rasberries, and other assorted every year to can, along with alot of beans. So when things go south I've got about 15 spots around the area with established berry and bean crops and running creeks right alongside. Also have a few each or apple, pear, and peach trees at each site. What started as a plan to get free fruit off public land has turned into a great survival plan. All spots are little gems I hand picked for their seclusion. Got to love public lands.

seanbo
10-22-2011, 10:53 PM
+1 on the berries beans and squash. If you have enough land and some water then anything is possible. Rabbits for meat can't be beat and chickens for eggs are nice.

cavemanlrrp
10-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Can't go wrong with beans, squash, or corn. If you have the land some wheat or oats are great survival foods to. I've also spent many years now planting berries at various locations around the county. Once established they take no maintenance around these parts and gives me multiple options for shtf base camps with natural thorn barriers. Probably plant around 30 plants a year along with multiple bean varieties in the same area as they take zero maintenance also. My family thought it was a hair brained scheme a decade ago. Now we get a large harvest of blackberries, rasberries, and other assorted every year to can, along with alot of beans. So when things go south I've got about 15 spots around the area with established berry and bean crops and running creeks right alongside. Also have a few each or apple, pear, and peach trees at each site. What started as a plan to get free fruit off public land has turned into a great survival plan. All spots are little gems I hand picked for their seclusion. Got to love public lands.

REPR Excellent plan and forethought.

I have just started doing something similar with my cull potato's from the garden. Didn't think of beans and squash, but will now. Already a lot of corn in my area. Also have berries getting started on all fence lines.

Was Johny Apple Seed a preper? He had a good plan!

Best
caveman

ireload
10-24-2011, 3:21 AM
Sweet potato.

Joewy
10-24-2011, 6:58 AM
Tarwi.
Its a Inca plant. It grows like a weed. The stems can be fed to animals or stripped into cordage like hemp. The seeds are edible beans and they can be pressed for oil to fuel your truck.

You need to soak them before you can eat them to remove the bitterness which is caused by Sparteine.

The beans contain sparteine which is a antiarrhythmic agent for you guys with heart problems.

Concentrate it and it is useful for other things.

It produces a steady crop all season long so you dont have to worry about loseing your crop at the last minute and is cold tollerant.

And the best thing is that no one knows what it is., :D

And they have nice pretty flowers.

problemchild
10-24-2011, 9:09 AM

So deer, bear and elk dont bother them? Sounds great. No potatoes?

IrishPirate
10-24-2011, 9:23 AM
i could be wrong, but i think i remember reading that you can't grow tobacco without a license of some kind. could just be propaganda, but with the kind of money the tobacco lobby has, i wouldn't be surprised.

Beans, squash, berries --- all great ideas. Never been able to grow "just enough" cuccumbers...always had WAY more than i need. Peppers are good because they contain tons of Vitamin C for your immune system. Some kind of nut tree would be good for protein. Fruit trees are a good idea too. If you're in the right zone, an avocado tree would be awesome.

try to plant things that are low/no maintanence like trees, vines, bushes, etc. and try to plant things that produce year round.

REPR
10-24-2011, 12:29 PM
So deer, bear and elk dont bother them? Sounds great. No potatoes?

I've never had issues with wildlife snacking on them, apart from the occasional bird. Bear stick to higher elevations around here. Don't think I've even seen one on the valley floor in my lifetime. Deer and elk will occasionally come into the valley at night during winter months. But for the most part they also stick to the base of the mountains and higher. No pig in the area so that's not an issue. I primarily picked the plants I did because I have lived here most my life. In that time my family always went out and picked berries, beans, and fruit from forgotten homesteads.

So about a decade ago during a weak harvest year I had the thought of planting my own 'wild' fruit and veggies on public land. Places we always went before were not that known but a few of the older locals knew them and sometimes picked them clean. So about ten years back I studied some topo maps and remembering some secluded places decided to plant a family secret as I call them. Since I started this I've never seen sign, tracks, picking etc. from others. I originally did it just so my mother and aunts would be able to get enough fruit to get their jams and other canning done every year. Most of the locations also have alot of rose hip, elderberry, wild onion, mint, and other wild edibles near them in addition to streams. Some of the sites even have flowing artesian wells that were tapped very long ago. But are still flowing strong to this day, but can't be found on any maps.

I had never really given it any thought that these would be shtf locations. Until about 3 years ago my brother and his wife were up around picking time. Well she had brought her brother with them and he made the comment these were great natural bug out camps. So While picking we got to talking and I told him I had planted all these years ago and he mentioned the zombie apocalypse. Fast forward and my sister in laws brother now lives up here and helps me out with growing our gardens. We attended some of the same schools so we've also started training the whole family in firearms, bushcraft, small unit tactics, mout, etc. in case the day comes, lol. But really the planting project is still just a means for the family to be able to gather enough produce to can to eat and give as presents all year.

If you grew up in your area you most likely know spots where things will grow that no one else knows about. If it's like it is around here 95% of land or more is public for a hundred miles in each direction. So what I've done just works well here. I've even thought of introducing a few new varieties to my sites recently. We have some wild elderberries but not in great number. So I thought maybe adding a few more for better cross polleniation for better crops. That and maybe a different fruit tree. For me it's all about what will grow here naturally without me ever having to water or maintain it.

Well this repsonse spanned way longer than I planned, lol.

problemchild
10-24-2011, 1:20 PM
I've never had issues with wildlife snacking......

Well this repsonse spanned way longer than I planned, lol.

Yeah there are lots of places to hide up there. Ive hunted, fished, camped and hiked the E sierras numerous times. Its one of my favorite places actually. Plenty to see and do if you pull off 395 and slow down a notch.

I was shooting pics one morning in a canyon and a huge beaver came walking right behind me. We both startled each other and he ran off. I was amazed how big he was.

Next time Im up your way Ill stop by and say hi if you want?

http://208.112.37.136/gallery2/main.php

Here is the shot I was taking at the time.
http://208.112.37.136/gallery2/main.php/d/171-3/bp3.jpg

http://208.112.37.136/gallery2/main.php/d/177-4/bp1_velvia_crop_sharp.jpg

Joewy
10-24-2011, 2:07 PM
Nice. Wait till winter. :D

GunGreg2107
10-24-2011, 4:04 PM
I planted some berry(black and i think elderberry) vines on my front fence and they have gone crazy with nothing other than a little water from my sprinklers overspray, I am thinking about planting a much larger scale garden but have to engineer a way to keep the dogs out.
Not to thread hijack but if anyone knows of any good camp spots over night where one could :practice: some shtf skills please let me know