View Full Version : Prepper/SHTF resource

10-22-2011, 10:42 AM
I just stumbled upon a great prepper resource. It is a quarterly (I believe) magazine that is ABSOLUTELY FULL of articles and information that is pure gold to a prepper. It is called "The New Pioneer".
Here is just a sample of what is in the current issue:
Herbal Healing
Harvesting the wind
Heating on the Cheap
Wood Cookin 101
Portable Power
No Root Cellar (NO PROBLEM!)
Trot Line Fishing tips
Trapping & Snaring tips
Trappers Almanac
Home Winemaking
Build your own Backyard Blacksmith Forge
Self Sufficiency Tips
Survial Must-haves
AND the list goes on and on....I also found among their advertisers a ton of new websites and items to put on "Daddys Wish List!"
Prior to finding this, I thought that "The Urban Farmer" was my favorite prep magazine..Not any more. I have read this mag from cover to cover twice, cut out ads and dog eared pages. It is great...and NO, I am not affiliated with them! :)

10-22-2011, 10:59 AM
prepper... giggity. Prepare to be fail. Nobody has a rats chance in a snake cage. It's all luck. When the contest is everybody against everybody you'll still be at a disadvantage. Just like the Atlantic explained to the Congo and the Amazon, when sea levels rise and the rivers subside into the ocean, river rules won't apply anymore.

10-22-2011, 1:58 PM
wow...the above couldnt be further from the truth. History has bore out numerous times that those that were prepared fared far better than those that didnt. The revolutanary war, The Cival war, The great depression, The LA riots, ALL the hurricanes (or ANY nat disaster) over the last 60 years. If it is everybody against everybody, the everybody who is armed and well fed will ALWAYS stand a better chance.

But hey, what do I know. You just keep on relying on that luck!

10-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Back to the OP, thanks for bringing to light another resource. I've got a general rule for a book or magazine. If it can teach me at least one thing then I'll read it. You have a link to where to buy an issue or where to subscribe?

10-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Backwoods home is another, been around a long time:

The anthologies are an interesting read. I have a few...

-- Michael

10-23-2011, 7:14 AM
I just stumbled upon the mag at the grocery store. Oddly enough, the magazine has none of the little 3x5 renewal cards in it. I did find their email address:
Their mailing address is:
New Pioneer
P.O. Box 1050
Rogue River OR 97537
I cant find a web site, but they do have a Facebook page.

10-24-2011, 2:32 AM
Both Backwoods Home and New Pioneer mags they sell at a Barnes and Noble close to my area. I pick up the mags from time to time when I see interesting articles. Good read for both mags.

10-31-2011, 9:27 AM
The New Pioneer is.....new. They don't have subscriptions yet. You have to find them on magazine racks. I saw one at the Tractor Supply store the other day.