PDA

View Full Version : cheap source for wax...

thenodnarb
10-21-2011, 7:12 PM
for making candles, canning, and buddy burners? Where do you get your wax? Wax at the local market is something like 4 or 5 dollars a pound. Seems kinda expensive? I guess I could hit yard sales and buy old candles and melt them down. Any other good ideas?

Chaparral
10-21-2011, 7:17 PM
I got quite a few pounds of the stuff from my bees but its a lot harder and has a higher melting point than the material typically used for candles and burners. I've noticed the prices as well. Beeswax got stupid-expensive several years ago. Now all types are a bit pricey. I'd love to score 50 pounds or so.

thenodnarb
10-21-2011, 7:49 PM
I got quite a few pounds of the stuff from my bees but its a lot harder and has a higher melting point than the material typically used for candles and burners. I've noticed the prices as well. Beeswax got stupid-expensive several years ago. Now all types are a bit pricey. I'd love to score 50 pounds or so.

you should tell me more about your bees sometime. I've been wanting to start beekeeping several years ago.

Neuvik
10-21-2011, 7:59 PM
Always had big blocks of it in the plumbing annex on the ship. No idea where it comes from, guess its a pursers secret.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Wax-4-lb-Block/dp/B0001DS0CQ

foesgth
10-21-2011, 8:00 PM
You might want to try CandleScience. $90 for 60 pounds or $18 for 10 pounds. Run a search for candle making supplies and find the one which has the cheapest shipping.

11HE9
10-21-2011, 8:39 PM
I picked up some paraffin at my local market to make some fire starters.They had it with the Mason jars and canning supplies. I'll have to look for the actual price, I think it was pretty cheap

Sanderhawk
10-22-2011, 5:52 AM
I found a few boxes of parafin wax marked down to $1 at walmart. I picked them up.

dominic
10-22-2011, 6:06 AM
There are several big beekeepers out here in Imperial Valley and you can get some unrefined beeswax from them for pretty cheap, try Ashurst Bee Company, 760.344.9225

Shellshocker66
10-22-2011, 7:11 AM
What area of the state are you located in? Sometimes folks know little shops with good deals that are tucked away and don't advertise much.

thenodnarb
10-22-2011, 3:26 PM
I'm in the inland empire.
Beeswax would be incredible. I'll try that company mentioned.
Walmart doesn't advertise their wax prices online. I'll have to just stop by sometime and check it out.