PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Arms to start MAP Pricing 4/1/07. :(

tenpercentfirearms
02-13-2007, 6:35 PM
Sorry ladies and gents, Rock River Arms is going to start enforcing a MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) policy starting 4/1/07. That means it is going to be harder for me to get you some RRA parts as cheap as I have been as easily as I have been. It is hard to run a website that says, "POR" (Price on Request).

This being my second year of business, I am starting to discover prices go up on a yearly basis. Get everything while the getting is good. :(

megavolt121
02-13-2007, 7:10 PM
Can you do something similar to what, Circuit City does? They won't list the price until you add the item in question to your shopping cart.

For example: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Casio-Exilim-EX-S770-Digital-Camera/sem/rpsm/oid/159805/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Fjold
02-13-2007, 7:22 PM
Can you do something similar to what, Circuit City does? They won't list the price until you add the item in question to your shopping cart.

For example: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Casio-Exilim-EX-S770-Digital-Camera/sem/rpsm/oid/159805/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

That's one of the many reasons that I don't buy from Circuit City

megavolt121
02-13-2007, 7:54 PM
That's one of the many reasons that I don't buy from Circuit City

I know some sellers do this because they can't list their prices due to some agreements with the manufacturers. If you place the item in your cart, than they aren't just listing, but providing a quote, or some mumbo jumbo like that. One click saves you money. I'd rather see that vs. P.O.R.

tenpercentfirearms
02-13-2007, 7:56 PM
There is no easy way around it. People want to know how much it is going to cost. They don't want to guess, they don't want to call, they want to know. What these guys don't realize is right away I am screwed by at least 7.25% because you can just as easily order it from RRA or someone else out of state and not have to pay sales tax. My software isn't as flexible as I would like it to be so I can say all the prices are with tax included, but still there are always cheaters when it comes to MAP and what about the seller who might not buy their parts straight from RRA or they have a phantom account and they just lower them anyways.

This news really has me in a foul mood because I need to spend more time and energy that I really don't have right now figuring out how to still remain competitive with out of state vendors when my hands get tied behind my back. I already know one way to do it, but I am not going to tell.

Matt C
02-13-2007, 8:31 PM
Just an idea, but how about you cover sales tax or give free shipping to CA residents?

damon1272
02-13-2007, 9:18 PM
Wes,
Check the post from ADCO on ARFCOM. He aluded to an instant discount while still advertising the MAP price. This may be one way around it so that you can abide by the MAP pricing and still be able to keep customers interested. Good luck.
:cool:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=38&t=153443

TheMan
02-13-2007, 9:30 PM
This news really has me in a foul mood because I need to spend more time and energy that I really don't have right now figuring out how to still remain competitive with out of state vendors when my hands get tied behind my back. I already know one way to do it, but I am not going to tell.

You could offer a buy one, get one free:D

tenpercentfirearms
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
When it comes down to it, MAP just complicates the whole process. Just let the freaking market be. Now I have to figure out ways to get around MAP and all it is going to do is hurt sales. People don't want complicated formulas, check out shopping, or any of that crap. They want to see a price, they want to place an order for that price.

I just get the feeling all this does is hurt my sales. That is it.

aklover_91
02-13-2007, 10:56 PM
why not advertise at minimum price, and then throw in an instant rebate or some such mumbo jumbo?

tenpercentfirearms
02-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Software limitations and it is plain and simply a pain in the butt. I need to go to bed, the more I think about this the more it just pisses me off.

Honestly, the whole thing is silly because the first thing everyone starts talking about, including the vendor is how to get around the MAP policy. You guys do not want to buy RRA NM LPKs for $180. No one with half a brain will pay that much when they can be found cheaper. No one is going to sell or buy them for that much money. All this does is make it harder for the consumer and for the retailer. I just don't get it.

luvtolean
02-14-2007, 7:45 AM
When a company thinks their product is so good it is not matched in the market, MAP pricing might make sense.

I am in a bad mood for a couple days after I buy Oakley sunglasses....and then I am in a bad mood again the next time.

But RRA? They sell a near commodity product line. It is no better or worse than other quality items that don't have MAP pricing.

For me there is an easy solution...buy another brand.

xrMike
02-14-2007, 8:01 AM
People don't want complicated formulas, check out shopping, or any of that crap. They want to see a price, they want to place an order for that price.Maybe I don't understand the concept of MAP pricing, but bottom line: Does all it mean is that I have to add an item to my shopping cart before I see the actual price?

What's the big deal about that? I do that ALL the time for websites that don't show pricing on their individual product pages. I figured out a long time ago on websites like that you can just click "Add to Cart", see what the price is for that item, and then click your Back button a couple times to backtrack to a point where you can look at other stuff again.

If every product page had a statement like:

Click "Add Cart" to see current pricing on this item.

that would make it obvious for the less-than-brilliant people who couldn't figure it out on their own.

Or do I not understand the problem?

tenpercentfirearms
02-14-2007, 8:13 AM
It depends on Rock River if that is a solution or not. Although it might seem easy, what really has changed if that is all you do? NOTHING! This whole thing is set up not to raise the prices and protect the product line as they claim, it is set up with that attitude that everyone will find a way around it and find a way to keep doing what they are doing. In reality, it changes nothing other than making the customer's and vendor's shopping experience more of a pain in the butt. That is what frustrates me.

In reality, in order to make all of this less confusing and less of a hassle, I am probably going to raise my prices. Long term, all this is going to do is making your products more expensive.

Honestly, the only thing I really sell that is RRA and no one else really has is the LPKs and the NM LPKs. Now the price on my NM LPKs is currently $150 and now it is going to have to go up to $180. That is a big increase. I will find a way to kind of make it up to the customer, but RRA is making the bed they are going to have to sleep in.

Really this is just going to make me want to motivate Stag to make a good NM 2 Stage Trigger.

And kind of off topic, this whole thing is going to cause me to change up my website. Be expecting some new pricing and policies from us in the next week or two. Whether it will be successful or not we will see.

Franksremote
02-14-2007, 8:29 AM
Read the advertising/co-op agreement thoroughly. I've dealt with MAP pricing in a different field for many years and typically it consists of a standard amount over cost which can easily be converted to the savings you'd like to pass along to customers without violating your agreement with them. Another reason for MAP pricing usually revolves around co-op for your advertising and if that is the case, the answer will lie in what some of the others have said already with a checkout discount/quote. If you'd like to discuss it further or have me review you advertising agreement, I'd gladly help out. Msg me.

tenpercentfirearms
02-14-2007, 8:33 AM
I just want to keep it simple. I don't want to have to click on that or check this or e-mail that. I want a website where what you see is what you get.

I started a new discussion over at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49192

It also appears the RRA thread over at ARF.com is now gone.

mltrading
02-14-2007, 10:48 AM
The market of RRA parts are so chaotic right now. That's why RRA wants to make new orders.

In ARFCOM, the prices of RRA parts have touched the bottom. Also ARFCOM restricted numbers of dealers who sell RRA parts. Sometimes, the sale prices of "big dealer" are even lower than the expenses of "small dealer". It's a throat-cutting war.

Being a parts dealer, I think it's time to educate consumers. The consumers get what they paid for. Blindly chasing low prices will kill parts dealers; eventually consumers won't get cheap parts. It's kind of lose-lose situation.

Perhaps nobody likes MAP policies, but they are there.

Just my $.02:o