PDA

View Full Version : Newby with some questions

savage1
02-13-2007, 6:05 PM
Hi, my name is Jon and I have an addiction......at least now I do. So first off, I found this great site after I purchased a Bushmaster Carbon15. I know flame away, I did not know about all the new gun laws and that an OLL was even legal at the time and figured this would be the closest I would ever get to the "real" thing. Well I can honestly say that I'm not disapointed with my purchase and one can never have too many guns. Now on to the questions.

#1, since being on this site I have discovered the wonderfull invention called the bullet button. I already ordered a few just to have. Should I cut out my lower and install the B/B so I can have an easily removable fixed mag? Or just build another gun? (I think I know what the concensus will be on this one)

#2 If I'm suggested to buy another, what brand is a good middle of the road lower? Where would be the best place to get one? (since I did not see lowers at 10%) and are there any FFL's local to either San Fernando Valley or Lancaster area that are willing to do the transfers for a reasonable fee?

#3 And lastly, can the Carbon 15 accept any other uppers or am I pretty much stuck to keeping this a 16" carbine (without a different lower)

SemiAutoSam
02-13-2007, 6:09 PM
You could sell the C15 and buy a OLL and then build it up from there.

But make sure you know the law before hand.

Fixed 10 round or featureless and run detachable.

grammaton76
02-13-2007, 6:11 PM
#1, since being on this site I have discovered the wonderfull invention called the bullet button. I already ordered a few just to have. Should I cut out my lower and install the B/B so I can have an easily removable fixed mag? Or just build another gun? (I think I know what the concensus will be on this one)

Build another gun. Your fixed Bushmaster could even be resold to finance your new lower, whereas just cutting up the Bushmaster will leave you with... well, a cut up lower.

#2 If I'm suggested to buy another, what brand is a good middle of the road lower?

CMMG takes my vote. I love the texture of the teflon finish. And you can't go wrong with Mega either.

#3 And lastly, can the Carbon 15 accept any other uppers or am I pretty much stuck to keeping this a 16" carbine (without a different lower)

No experience, but I think it'll accept other uppers. If it's carbon fiber, I'd be a bit leery of operating it as a flop-top though. Fatigue and stress on the material...

ghostrider4evr
02-13-2007, 6:23 PM
You can find lowers at:
www.coldwarshooters.net
http://www.ddsranch.com/

+1 for CMMG, but any of them are fine in terms of functionality. Most people would suggest staying away from Vulcan.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-13-2007, 6:36 PM
No experience, but I think it'll accept other uppers. If it's carbon fiber, I'd be a bit leery of operating it as a flop-top though. Fatigue and stress on the material...

I've got both a Carbon 15 sealed magwell rifle (my first, like you, before discovering the OLL world), as well as another Bushmaster AR-15 built on an open-magwell Carbon 15 lower (CWS via TPF) that has a Bushmaster 10 Rd mag locked into it with a Prince50 kit (the original) and a matching carbon fiber upper from BM with a 16" SS fluted barrel, carbon fiber hand guard and a full size Y-Comp on the end of it (got all that straight from the factory).

Yeah, you can mix and match, and it will function fine, but you won't like the way it looks when you put an aluminum upper on a carbon fiber lower.

I think Grammaton76 may also have a point about stressing the carbon fiber lower using a flip top aluminum upper on it, not so much when it's pinned fore and aft to shoot, but when you open it up to load, clean, etc. If you elect to mix and match, I'd be real careful not to let the upper fly open and smack into the front of the lower. Do that enough times, and you might crack the area of the lower that receives the front take down pin.

Also, if you're thinking of getting creative with a Carbon 15 upper, you can't do too much there, either, because of headspace issues. You pretty much need to stick with the several 16" barrels BM offers for the Carbon 15, and have the factory put it together for you. Call them if you're interested in the options. They're great about talking things through, all seem to really know their products, and are generally good folks.

If you can afford it, leave your Carbon 15 the way it is, have fun with it, and build yourself a complete new rifle. Or sell the Carbon 15 and use the $$$ to fund your new build. There seem to be more than a few CalGunners out there who are too nervous about explaining the OLL situation to an LEO and would welcome option of owning the "DOJ-approved" :rolleyes: Carbon 15 with the sealed magwell. I have four Stag builds, but still enjoy "my first" black rifle and am often happy to have it as a "safe harbor" gun to take along to a new range when I'm just in the mood to let loose a few rounds without having to worry about being prepared to give an OLL lecture to the uninitiated. It's a great conversation starter. I put a carry handle on it, and popped a cheapie BSA 30mm red dot on top of that with a see-through (peep-through?) mount, and it's great for what it is - a "safe" black rifle. In fact, I often use it as my "guest gun" when taking a new shooter to the range. Most people I take out shooting are righties, so that works great for them. They get to play with the Carbon 15, and I bring one of my lefty Stags and blast away next to them, always doing my best to spread BRD and infect as many as possible! :)

As for a new lower to build on, if you're into Bushmaster and like the Carbon 15 look and feel, you can build a pinned mag version like I did, but the open magwell Carbon 15 lowers aren't cheap - usually priced in the mid $200's - and then you have those upper limitations I mentioned earlier, so you can't build (right now) a 20" or 24" upper if that's what you have in mind. When it comes to aluminum (i.e., normal) lowers, I'm a Stag fan, not just because of their lefty uppers, but because they put out a good quality product. I've seen the CMMG's too, and Megas, and they seem to be good choices as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and happy shooting! Welcome!

pnkssbtz
02-13-2007, 6:41 PM
Jon, welcome to Calguns!

First off, there is nothing wrong with a Carbon 15. Some people just find that the firearm does not offer what they want in an AR platform firearm.

This is just a difference of opinion. Personally, my AR is configured as a fixed mag and would operate identically to a Carbon 15, so the brand of the rifle is a moot point.

#2 If I'm suggested to buy another, what brand is a good middle of the road lower? Where would be the best place to get one? (since I did not see lowers at 10%) and are there any FFL's local to either San Fernando Valley or Lancaster area that are willing to do the transfers for a reasonable
fee?

I would go to the websites linked too above and peruse their merchandise. I would then go and write down the components and pricing that you wish to include in your rifle, and then budget the items towards what you plan to pay.

If you don't have some extra disposable income, you can always sell your current Carbon 15 to fund the new one, or wait till afterwards so you always have a rifle to play with...

If you do decide to build a new OLL and live in the Orange County area, I have an armorers wrench and barrel vise that you could use to complete your rifle and even give you a hand.

I would also suggest going to ar15.com and perusing their "do it yourself" section as that is where I got all of the information (and tips and tricks!) that I used to put together my rifle.

Either way, unless you don't mind throwing your current Carbon 15 lower in the trash, I would not personally attempt to alter it.

savage1
02-13-2007, 7:36 PM
Thank you to all for the info. I plan on keeping my CAR-15 and then just building another. One thing I learned from my father is you never sell a gun, you'll regret it later. I've been on the fence about building one from scratch and I'll think that it what I'll do. At least I already have a rifle to compare to to see if I messed up. Do most of the dealers have a problem doing lower transfers? I have not asked my local dealer yet, just wondering what the general conscensus was.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-13-2007, 7:46 PM
Do most of the dealers have a problem doing lower transfers? I have not asked my local dealer yet, just wondering what the general conscensus was.

That one's all over the board. Some do, many don't, some are actually hostile, while others just live in fear of the DOJ.

I've used Wes at TPF for all my OLL acquisitions, even though it's a hike for me to go over the Grapevine to Taft. I never regret the trip, and if he and his wife had kids yet, I'd have already paid for their braces with the money I've spent (well) with TPF. :)

For OLL friendly FFL's in your area (SFV?) you'll need to get the lowdown from others who know more about that. If you don't mind going to Ade's in Orange, he'd probably handle it, since he sells complete OLL rifles off the rack.

Have at it! (And your dad gave you great advice!)

SemiAutoSam
02-13-2007, 8:04 PM
One of the FFL's that does OLL transfers would be in San Fernando by the name Metro shot he is on here under the same name if I remember correctly.

rorschach
02-13-2007, 8:11 PM
One of the FFL's that does OLL transfers would be in San Fernando by the name Metro shot he is on here under the same name if I remember correctly.

Metroshot is here under SFV_dealer

Easiest way to get ahold of him is by phone

Metroshot
2053 Glenoaks Blvd.
San Fernando CA 91340
818-439-5941
http://www.metroshotfirearms.com

savage1
02-13-2007, 8:33 PM
That will be great. He is about 15 minutes from work and on my way home.