PDA

View Full Version : Anybody get a wasr10?

whatdyisit
02-13-2007, 5:49 PM
There was a thread in the marketplace discussing wasr10 ak's for $329 and I was wondering if anybody has ordered one of these and what kind of quality they are.

Wasr10 - $329 (http://ddsranch.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=20_46_261&products_id=560&osCsid=be246a1dd21f59d658f19d90fd6cf79d)

I have read a few reviews from the free states and most guys don't like 'em (even the Hi Cap version). I was just curious if it was worth it for us Kali guys.

grammaton76
02-13-2007, 6:01 PM
Century Arms guns are perfectly good, as long as you don't treat them like something they aren't.

They ARE NOT "100% guns". You should view Romanian AK from Century as a "95% gun"... still requires DROS and all, and it's all assembled, but it'll require tuning to get it to a state where you're proud to call it your AK. But if you know what you're doing, it will get there.

Known WASR issues:

* Sharp magwells, good at cutting fingers. File 'em down.
* Sometimes poor mag fit. First check your mags, then check your gun. Usually it's filing.
* Poor furniture appearance. Yeah, they're not really finished, just sealed... sand it down and refinish it. At CWS, we refinish our AES-10's, and I had an ex Russian soldier come by the table at Ontario and kiss it, saying it looked like the RPK he used to carry in Afghanistan.
* Trigger slap. If there's a Century trigger group in it, yank it out, install a Tapco G2 and sell the Century trigger online... you'll only have paid like $10-$20 for the upgrade in the end.

The rivet work on Century's Romanian imports is actually very good... in my opinion FAR better than certain "premium" US-made AK builders that I could mention.

If you don't trust yourself to rework an AK yourself, then order one from CWS that we've already redone. The end result is pretty nice. I still need to post pics of my refinished AES-10... we've got them in red oak, satin finish or plain wood stain, etc. Custom coloration is available.

wksun88
02-13-2007, 6:55 PM
I have a question about this also. When you order the AK from century, it doesn't ship to your FFL dealer with the pistol grip right?

whatdyisit
02-13-2007, 9:48 PM
You can order from that link I posted and they will ship it without pistol grip and mag.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=48880
...the thread discussing the wasr10 on ddsranch

EricCartmann
02-13-2007, 9:57 PM
Century Arms guns are perfectly good, as long as you don't treat them like something they aren't.

They ARE NOT "100% guns". You should view Romanian AK from Century as a "95% gun"... still requires DROS and all, and it's all assembled, but it'll require tuning to get it to a state where you're proud to call it your AK. But if you know what you're doing, it will get there.

Known WASR issues:

* Sharp magwells, good at cutting fingers. File 'em down.
* Sometimes poor mag fit. First check your mags, then check your gun. Usually it's filing.
* Poor furniture appearance. Yeah, they're not really finished, just sealed... sand it down and refinish it. At CWS, we refinish our AES-10's, and I had an ex Russian soldier come by the table at Ontario and kiss it, saying it looked like the RPK he used to carry in Afghanistan.
* Trigger slap. If there's a Century trigger group in it, yank it out, install a Tapco G2 and sell the Century trigger online... you'll only have paid like $10-$20 for the upgrade in the end.

The rivet work on Century's Romanian imports is actually very good... in my opinion FAR better than certain "premium" US-made AK builders that I could mention.

If you don't trust yourself to rework an AK yourself, then order one from CWS that we've already redone. The end result is pretty nice. I still need to post pics of my refinished AES-10... we've got them in red oak, satin finish or plain wood stain, etc. Custom coloration is available.

For me this is the issue I had with my WASR

- major trigger slap with mine

- would not fit my Chinese mags at first, had to take a file to the mag well, just did 3 strokes and the chinese mags fit! but now the other mags fit sloppy.

- front sight crooked. I could have sworn it was straight when I picked it up but the first day I took it to the range I noticed it was crooked while looking down range 100 yards at the target.

but overall.. these are great weapons. they go bang every time. mine has never jammed even if I go months without cleaning. It is sloppy, crooked, slappy.... but ultra reliable! Just like a True AK should be.

whatdyisit
02-13-2007, 10:05 PM
It is sloppy, crooked, slappy.... but ultra reliable! Just like a True AK should be.

Thats about all I would expect for that price! Did you get it through ddsranch?

EricCartmann
02-13-2007, 11:21 PM
No I got mine locally in New Hampshire. It is now in Arizona but should be with me shortly as my house is about to Close in Las Vegas.

EricCartmann
02-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Here is a pic of her. I since replaced the wood with Tapco side folder and Tapco Galil style handguard because I thought it looked cool. I would have no problem trusting my life with this gun, but I would rather pick up my FAL, M1A, or AR first.

kantstudien
02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I have a question about this also. When you order the AK from century, it doesn't ship to your FFL dealer with the pistol grip right?

Century does not ship anything off-list to California.

whatdyisit
02-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Here is a pic of her. I since replaced the wood with Tapco side folder and Tapco Galil style handguard because I thought it looked cool. I would have no problem trusting my life with this gun, but I would rather pick up my FAL, M1A, or AR first.
Looks good! Now I just wish I could have that config. in California.

grammaton76
02-14-2007, 1:36 AM
Looks good! Now I just wish I could have that config. in California.

Heh, at CWS we sell all that stuff. Just pin your mag and you're set... yes, it's annoying to have to do that, but you can have that overall configuration.

PS - you may need a stock extender... we sell those too.