PDA

View Full Version : Fix-it ticket question

Andy Taylor
10-21-2011, 7:40 AM
The thread on window tint got me thinking-
Laws about tint, and other things vary from state to state. It is legal for a car registared in another state to operate in CA. Here is a hypothetical.
A car registered in AZ and driving in CA has window tint that is illegal in CA, but perfectly legal in AZ, where the car is registered. Is this citable? Should the AZ resident be expected to remove tint for a 1 or 2 day trip into CA? If it is citable, would they have to return to have a CA peace officer sign off and/or go to court?

FLIGHT762
10-21-2011, 7:57 AM
There are exemptions for an out of state vehicle visiting California or if you are active Military stationed in California. If you are going to reside here and work here (be a resident), your vehicle has to comply with California law.

TheExpertish
10-21-2011, 8:30 AM
There are exemptions for an out of state vehicle visiting California or if you are active Military stationed in California. If you are going to reside here and work here (be a resident), your vehicle has to comply with California law.

^This. There shouldn't be any issues.

hitman13
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I called CHP last week and pondered this:

Can an Az LEO sign off on a Ca fix it ticket? Person who answered the phone stated that as long as the LEO is fully certified, and the ticket is being signed off in Az, them it's ok....

Andy Taylor
10-22-2011, 4:32 PM
Thank you.

Cokebottle
10-22-2011, 5:05 PM
I called CHP last week and pondered this:

Can an Az LEO sign off on a Ca fix it ticket? Person who answered the phone stated that as long as the LEO is fully certified, and the ticket is being signed off in Az, them it's ok....
And that works fine until the 2nd or 3rd (or even 1st) time you get written up and the officer checks "Non Correctable"

I've talked to officers who hold the opinion that a broken taillight, glass, or bald tires are "correctable" and deserving of a $30 "fixit".
But they also believe that anything that the owner does to modify the vehicle that creates an illegal condition is not a simple "inspection oversight" (or something that just happened), and is something the owner did intentionally, being fully aware that it was illegal (ignorance of the law is no excuse).

I know people who have been cited under "non-correctable" for window tint, exhaust systems, tires extending beyond fenders, more than 4 head/driving lights illuminated, off-road lights not covered when on the highway, blue lights, etc....