PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from another state...tax?

phod330
02-13-2007, 10:37 AM
If I have a gun transferred from another state to my FFL here, will I pay CA tax on top of the DROS fee? Or is it tax exempt since I'm buying out of state?

Thanks

ocabj
02-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Technically, sales tax may be charged by the dealer processing the DROS. If the dealer does not charge you tax, you are supposed to report the purchase under the "Use Tax" on your California State Tax form. "Use Tax" applies to all purchases made from out of State such as those conducted over mail order (Internet, phone orders, catalogs, etc).

Hunter
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
... Or is it tax exempt since I'm buying out of state?

Thanks

Out of state purchases for use in CA are NEVER tax exempt. Therefore, you are legally require to pay the tax on all out of state purchases brought into the state.

With that said, if the item is paid in full by YOU to the out of state seller, prior to shipping into the state, then you are obligated to pay the tax on your tax return. There is no law that says the transfer dealer has to collect the sales tax. Only when it is their money buying it are they legally obligated to collect the sales tax from you like they would on any sale in CA.

Paltik.45acp
02-13-2007, 12:08 PM
The pistol has to be on the approved list, otherwise it will have to
a face to face transfer.

arguy15
02-13-2007, 3:50 PM
What if my grandfather from out of state is giving me a rifle? It won't be taxed? Right?

Aluisious
02-13-2007, 3:52 PM
Technically, sales tax may be charged by the dealer processing the DROS. If the dealer does not charge you tax, you are supposed to report the purchase under the "Use Tax" on your California State Tax form. "Use Tax" applies to all purchases made from out of State such as those conducted over mail order (Internet, phone orders, catalogs, etc).
A ha, ah haha, haaaahahahaha... :D

That's a good one!

Aluisious
02-13-2007, 4:00 PM
I didn't say he was wrong, I just thought it was a hilarious notion.

-hanko
02-13-2007, 4:47 PM
What if my grandfather from out of state is giving me a rifle? It won't be taxed? Right?
Nice hijack:rolleyes: You pay tax if you purchase the gun. If it's a gift, no tax needed

-hanko