PDA

View Full Version : I want to start a SHTF group with members who live in Oakland and neighboring cities

loekanle
10-20-2011, 8:23 PM
when SHTF I want to be ready I have a plan,
I picked several key locations which are in my neighborhood
that can be secured to wait out the SHTF

but I need to get together a group of like minded individuals who want to survive

the area I picked is sound and has plentiful number of stores,hospitals,and a lake

NokSuCow
10-20-2011, 8:46 PM
:laugh:

loekanle
10-20-2011, 8:59 PM
I also have a requirement You have to bring food and weapons to be in my group

yes safety in numbers but what do you have to offer

I have 3 bags of rice
1 handgun
1 evil 308 black rifle
I am working on securing more weapons and food

I also have only one mouth to feed plus me

ocmsrzr
10-20-2011, 9:15 PM
Uh, you make these kind of plans in your buddy's garage over beers...not on the internet.

DP1035
10-20-2011, 9:16 PM
Is this for a high school creative thinking class or something ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

loekanle
10-20-2011, 9:23 PM
no its not for a class and my friends live in different area's, when we were together they brought it up and I thought they were joking. when I finally found out they were serious they got me thinking and I was also talking with a co-worker about when SHTF. they all have their own plans which I cant be apart of cause of the long distances apart

it seems everybody has a plan except me
so I wanted to start my own group

loekanle
10-20-2011, 9:31 PM
whats wrong with doing it over the internet, this is actually the place to do it.
its called modern age networking

ocmsrzr
10-20-2011, 9:36 PM
Don't make me go get the fruity unicorn guy in here...

loekanle
10-20-2011, 9:40 PM
LMFAO ah dont do that, dont go and get my arch-nemesis

baz152
10-20-2011, 9:49 PM
Let's be real, if you start this on the Internet you are going to get a soup sandwich group of people one of which will kill you and take whatever few things that you bring with you in the advent of the end of the world. Second no smart person will join a group where the only tie they have to anyone else is that they are in the same group. The list can go on and on why this would not work.

nrgcruizer
10-20-2011, 9:50 PM
I was thinking about starting one in San Pablo. But I'm down to learn from other folks and pass whatever knowledge I have. I'd love to learn and find out what food we can find locally. I have heard of acorn being a source of staple for the people of this land. I have heard of pine leaves being made into a tea of sorts. I don't even know what a HAM radio is. What? I'm just being honest.

loekanle
10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
@baz152 I already have a few other members, that person couldn't take us all on

safety in numbers is the key to surviving
have you seen the movie "the road" remember the group on the truck thats what im thinking

so if that person is smart and wants to be on top and not be a victim they would put aside all their doubt and suspicions because alone he will make one vulnerable target

@nrgcruizer forget that living off the land crap, eating berries and nuts wont keep you strong and fit you need meat and carbs

loekanle
10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
I not saying it all happens now we meet up over time while there is still a civilization get to know each other and gain each others trust

and if you dont like what you hear or see, then you move on

eville
10-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Hopefully you're not talking about lake Merritt. Its salt water. Lol

loekanle
10-20-2011, 10:31 PM
yeah Im learning on how to distill salt water and turn it into safe drinking water and if that doesnt work I live next to a water reservoir

11HE9
10-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I grew up in the east bay area (many years ago). The last place I'd want to be in a SHTF scenario is Oakland. You will either need to GTFO of Oakland as soon as absolutely possible if SHTF, or find a way to be invisible.

Just my .02

loekanle
10-20-2011, 11:54 PM
@11HE9 why is this the last place to be?

and why would I live a city full of food?

chaunbot
10-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Let's be real, if you start this on the Internet you are going to get a soup sandwich group of people one of which will kill you and take whatever few things that you bring with you in the advent of the end of the world. Second no smart person will join a group where the only tie they have to anyone else is that they are in the same group. The list can go on and on why this would not work.

He's right ^

:0 family only! Check out "the colony"

That's what happens when you team up with a bunch of F***Tards.

loekanle
10-21-2011, 12:20 AM
He's right ^

:0 family only! Check out "the colony"

That's what happens when you team up with a bunch of F***Tards.

dang I know I should of added the word "like minded" individuals to the title

to keep the pessimistic idiots out

and i Have only my mother to worry about and 4 friends but I dont know how many people they will bring

I aint talking about making no "colony" that sounds soOOOO gay i will be the guy with hidden "enclave" and forming a group of bastards who are willing to do anything to survive.

11HE9
10-21-2011, 12:42 AM
@11HE9 why is this the last place to be?

The way I look at it... it's the population vs. resources in the area. Due to the high population in the bay area, you are going to deplete your resources quickly. Looting & rioting (fires) are going to deplete your resources further. I'm looking at it in a true "You are on your own until further notice" mind set (who knows when/if .Gov can help you), I want to be as far away from the city as I can get.

I do realize this isn't always an option, you have to plan for where you are at the moment.

loekanle
10-21-2011, 1:04 AM
The way I look at it... it's the population vs. resources in the area. Due to the high population in the bay area, you are going to deplete your resources quickly. Looting & rioting (fires) are going to deplete your resources further. I'm looking at it in a true "You are on your own until further notice" mind set (who knows when/if .Gov can help you), I want to be as far away from the city as I can get.

I do realize this isn't always an option, you have to plan for where you are at the moment.

the individuals with the most guns and have the greatest numbers will get the most resources

in the bayarea you cant deplete your resources it has an overabundance of water and food like Pigeons, rats, cats, dogs and if all that runs out we have humans you said it yourself "Due to the high population in the bay area"

so if i stay in the cities I could never go hungry and have a great chance of surviving

ZenDaddy
10-21-2011, 1:58 AM
the individuals with the most guns and have the greatest numbers will get the most resources

in the bayarea you cant deplete your resources it has an overabundance of water and food like Pigeons, rats, cats, dogs and if all that runs out we have humans you said it yourself "Due to the high population in the bay area"

so if i stay in the cities I could never go hungry and have a great chance of surviving

:facepalm:

future low ranking mutant zombie biker

chaunbot
10-21-2011, 6:16 AM
dang I know I should of added the word "like minded" individuals to the title

to keep the pessimistic idiots out

and i Have only my mother to worry about and 4 friends but I dont know how many people they will bring

I aint talking about making no "colony" that sounds soOOOO gay i will be the guy with hidden "enclave" and forming a group of bastards who are willing to do anything to survive.

Damn, I knew I should've posted links for the the idiots ^
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-colony/
you've already set your self up for failure, Pre accepting friends of friends = dead weight.

Be sure to pack some chopsticks to complete your arsenal

doc1buc
10-21-2011, 6:45 AM

Dude, fail, seriously.

VictorFranko
10-21-2011, 6:48 AM
Aren't you a little late to start planning?
SHTF in Oakland a long time ago :p

loekanle
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
@chaunbot thanks for the link it really clarifies your post
I apologize I took your comments in the wrong context
I thought you were bashing me and my group
the ****tard is what got me

there will be no dead weight if any person in my group cant contribute in any way then their gone

Shellshocker66
10-21-2011, 12:49 PM
OP where you in town for the 1989 quake? I know a lot of people love to hate on Oakland, but when the freeway collapsed it was the locals who were pulling out the ladders and climbing up to help, several got their heavy equipment and started using it to help move debris and get to the higher levels. Not only was it covered on the news, but I spoke with several EMT's and Medics who were there and said how much the local community helped in the rescues.

I don't care where you live if you can find like minded individuals then go for it! Better to have strength in numbers if you can. And I think someplace that is used to being repressed and having to fight for everything are a lot better prepared then yuppieville, CA where everyone expects their latte's daily and have no clue how to survive a real emergency!

wash
10-21-2011, 1:05 PM
Get a row boat and a generator and bug out to one of the liberty ships in the mothball fleet.

Zombies can't swim, right?

ns3v3n
10-21-2011, 1:17 PM
@chabunut, nice profile picture :cool2:

Capt_Communist
10-21-2011, 1:26 PM
wow this is what Calguns has come to.....

loekanle
10-21-2011, 3:01 PM
@Shellshocker66 thank you for agreeing with me, finally someone that gets me
oh during the 89 earthquake I was like 3yrs old, I willing to bet you wont get that kind of community fellowship from my generation of oaklanders

@wash hey man whats up I'm back from my long exile
I going to send you a PM

Kid Stanislaus
10-21-2011, 9:03 PM
that can be secured to wait out the SHTF.
but I need to get together a group of like minded individuals who want to survive
the area I picked is sound and has plentiful number of stores,hospitals,and a lake

Yeah, if I lived in Oakland I'd be look'n for some group security too!!;)

Kid Stanislaus
10-21-2011, 9:06 PM
Don't make me go get the fruity unicorn guy in here...

PLEASE don't do that!!:eek:

Kid Stanislaus
10-21-2011, 9:09 PM
I grew up in the east bay area (many years ago). The last place I'd want to be in a SHTF scenario is Oakland. You will either need to GTFO of Oakland as soon as absolutely possible if SHTF, or find a way to be invisible.

Get a tan, man. Get a DEEP tan!!:rolleyes:

Kid Stanislaus
10-21-2011, 9:13 PM
:facepalm:

future low ranking mutant zombie biker

You forgot "cannibal".

11HE9
10-21-2011, 9:45 PM
Get a tan, man. Get a DEEP tan!!:rolleyes:
:laugh:

chaunbot
10-22-2011, 1:02 AM
@chabunut, nice profile picture :cool2:

Ty :0

Stormfeather
10-22-2011, 1:48 AM
ok, lets get a hair serious just for a sec. . .

1- If you want to get a group together, you are correct, you will need to network to do it. Networking thru like-minded folks is a good idea, but as you also mentioned, you may already be accepting "friends of friends". While your buddies may be great company, and trustworthy, loyal, ect ect, can you say the same of their friends? What are their intentions when shtf and you think you are the head honcho of a group only to find you dont have the majority vote? See where im going with this?

2- If you are thinking long term, then you need to prepare for long term, a few bags of rice, a bangstick and a blaster are not going to last you. While the mad max idea has its positive aspects, it only works if you are the biggest/baddest mofo in the valley. I know of several people in your area who are definitely better armed, and have alot more food preps set aside. So abandon that idea, and get realistic. Food, water, ammo, survival supplies are going to be the way to go. Start small, and work your way up. Theres a guy here on CGN who is in the bay area who sells blue water barrels dirt cheap, start there with a supply of LTS water, then work on food. $100 a month will buy a crap-ton of extra food for a month if you do it right.

3- How about comms? Signals to let each other know where you are in correlation to other members of your group? Do you actually have a plan? Have you written it down and weighed the pros/cons of each aspect of it? Have others in your group consulted on it and offered their opinions? They may see something you didnt, and have an idea you might not have thought of.

4- Do you have a chain of command? Somebody to make the major decisions, that they group will abide by? Is everyone in agreeance to this chain of command?

This is 4 basic points that any group should already have down as a base, are you at that point yet? If not, work on that part and go from there. And by the way, any purchasing you are doing, your friends should be doing the same thing.

mag360
10-22-2011, 1:52 AM
anyone thought of a "shtf" twitter group that someone could post emergency messages too for others to get and respond?

DP1035
10-22-2011, 3:51 PM
Sounds to me like you are assembling a gang..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mag360
10-23-2011, 9:19 PM
the amount of Kalifornia Kremlin aplogists are strong in this thread.

a gang?

it's a help group for shtf.

loekanle
10-24-2011, 1:14 AM
ok, lets get a hair serious just for a sec. . .

1- If you want to get a group together, you are correct, you will need to network to do it. Networking thru like-minded folks is a good idea, but as you also mentioned, you may already be accepting "friends of friends". While your buddies may be great company, and trustworthy, loyal, ect ect, can you say the same of their friends? What are their intentions when shtf and you think you are the head honcho of a group only to find you dont have the majority vote? See where im going with this?

2- If you are thinking long term, then you need to prepare for long term, a few bags of rice, a bangstick and a blaster are not going to last you. While the mad max idea has its positive aspects, it only works if you are the biggest/baddest mofo in the valley. I know of several people in your area who are definitely better armed, and have alot more food preps set aside. So abandon that idea, and get realistic. Food, water, ammo, survival supplies are going to be the way to go. Start small, and work your way up. Theres a guy here on CGN who is in the bay area who sells blue water barrels dirt cheap, start there with a supply of LTS water, then work on food. $100 a month will buy a crap-ton of extra food for a month if you do it right.

3- How about comms? Signals to let each other know where you are in correlation to other members of your group? Do you actually have a plan? Have you written it down and weighed the pros/cons of each aspect of it? Have others in your group consulted on it and offered their opinions? They may see something you didnt, and have an idea you might not have thought of.

4- Do you have a chain of command? Somebody to make the major decisions, that they group will abide by? Is everyone in agreeance to this chain of command?

This is 4 basic points that any group should already have down as a base, are you at that point yet? If not, work on that part and go from there. And by the way, any purchasing you are doing, your friends should be doing the same thing.

1.I dont want to be head huncho and we will form some kind of committee so everyone has a say and no one person can make decisions for a group because that's a pretty heavy responsibilty

2.can you give me the link or PM me the info of the guy who sells the blue barrells

3. we were going going to use H.A.M, if you no of other forms of communication let me know. We do have a plan
A. secure a designated location/ A high rise building
B. scavenge essential locations that have essential items for our survival by coordinating an organized group on the the location getting in and out as fast as possible.
C. we have designated several locations that can provide power like solar panels/wind turbines we will obtain and install at the designated location
D. secure a water truck
E. set up defenses

4. we haven't worked up a proper chain of command

baz152
10-24-2011, 2:23 AM
Sure, why not set up in a high rise building, that way some good folk can take out the entire roving gang of looting thugs with a nice cleansing fire. It is clear that your plan has not been thought out. If everyone in this group thought that this was a good plan I do not give you guys long to survive. With your group of like minded individuals who will do anything to survive, I hope you realize that this would include killing the weak link (possibly you) and taking what you have.

berto
10-24-2011, 8:39 AM
Oakland has a group with a non hierarchical decision making process. There are a bunch of like minded individuals with the same goal. They have food, water, medicine, and even tents. They're down at Frank Ogawa Plaza.

itisagoodname
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
anyone thought of a "shtf" twitter group that someone could post emergency messages too for others to get and respond?

Twitter and Google+

wash
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
A good plan is to find a place that is easy to defend and no one will bother to look for.

Don't set up your bugout location next door to Lawrence Livermore Labs, anything military, the port of Oakland, a shopping center, a hospital, etc.

Have a source of water. You don't want to be drinking contaminated water and having enough for infrequent showers will be a huge luxury in an extended SHTF situation.

Learn first aid and trauma medicine. Get antibiotics, clotting agent, sutures, maybe a surgical staple gun and lots of sterile guaze.

Food is nice but the body can function without it for quite a while. Don't neglect your water and first aid needs to increase your food supply.

Ham radio sounds great but how many people have radios?

Plan a rendezvous point to gather at and contingency plans. A set of FRS radios can provide some short distance wireless communications for a low price.

If you cell phone still works use that but twitter and Google+ won't do you much good without the cell phone network, that is why a plan is critical.

If I ever think SHTF is imminent, I'm going to carry a rifle and a few hundred rounds with me at all times and I'll begin moving more supplies to my bugout location so that if I have to leave anything behind I'll be well equipped once I bug out.

I don't think it makes sense to plan in really large groups, you might wind up with uninvited guests that make your food and water situation get critical fast.

My spot has about 750 gallons of water waiting for me and a well. The best worst case scenario is a contaminated well and about a year of drinking water. Quadruple the number of people and that turns in to three months. If one of them insists on taking showers, it could be gone in weeks.

The best case scenario is a well with pure water, giving an indefinite water supply that can support 4x more than we need.

If the food supply runs out, hunting is possible but I've got a few 50 lb sacks of rice and dried beans. With some canned food and MREs, I'm going to be eating for a while but I still don't have much to share.

I need to buy more 5.56*45 but I've got enough 12 gauge, 6.8 SPC, 7.62*51 and 9mm to last me a while.

smle-man
10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing that almost everyone has way too much guns and ammo and way too little water and food put away.

loekanle
10-24-2011, 1:17 PM
I am working on stockpiling food and ammo
I bought several bags of rice from smart and final
Im going to get oatmeal, beans and more rice

I want to buy large quantities of beef jerky or any jerky

only thing I need to worry about is water and Power

Im teaching myself how to distill salt water but it will take me a while
and I want to know how to work solar panels and wind turbines

@wash can you PM a good place for all those medical supplies

loekanle
10-24-2011, 1:25 PM
@baz152 A high rise building is the perfect location
a. it gives room to grow we could use the extra spaces to grow food
b. super easy to secure, all we have to do is secure one floor
c. it give us good vantage points if we ever get in a fire fight we have the advantage of shooting down and the attackers have to shoot up which put them at the disadvantage
d. if the location is ever breached we have alot of places to hide, the nicks and crannys we can shoot people from is unlimited they wont know where we our and when they do it will be to late

stix213
10-24-2011, 1:28 PM
You're free to hold up at my place, just bring lots of food, water, and women.

wash
10-24-2011, 1:31 PM
Distillation needs a heat source unless you can build a solar still.

I would consider Lake Merritt and the bay as already contaminated any way, no need to wait for SHTF.

Generators FTW! Diesel if you can get one because a drum of diesel fuel with a preservative will almost last forever and when you run out you might be able to convert it to run on bio-diesel that you could refine if you really had to.

There is a trailer mounted Onan Diesel generator at my bugout location.

That will keep the well pumping and the lights on for a long time.

I need to get medical supplies myself, when I am ready to buy I'll let you know.

loekanle
10-24-2011, 1:31 PM
also most building like that are retro fitted to be protected against earthquakes by having sand as its foundation and in the case of flooding we will only lose one floor still having multiple floors. the flooding will also improve defenses making it hardier for intruders to approach the building and enter real fast.

loekanle
10-24-2011, 1:37 PM
@stix213 don't worry about women, there will be alot of them who wont have a pot to piss in,if we have are **** together we can offer food and protection for sex and then kick them to the curve and get some others

give them a can of chili for some head

xgi1991
10-24-2011, 4:24 PM
also most building like that are retro fitted to be protected against earthquakes by having sand as its foundation and in the case of flooding we will only lose one floor still having multiple floors. the flooding will also improve defenses making it hardier for intruders to approach the building and enter real fast.
The only problem with lakes and reservoirs in a SHTF is that sheepal will flock to them like, well, like sheep. They will bathe in the water, as well as other things. Post SHTF the lakes will look like tent cities and within and very short period of time, will smell like a sees pool. And when they start dying off, well, things will get a lot worse. Do not depend on any water source in the bay area, no offence, but you might want to rethink your plan just a tad. Obviously, I am talking about a long term event, which, I think you may be as well. In a long term, unless you are running with a Cav platoon and stocked for a couple years, you might want to look a bit more east in the farm land and lower foothills. I am not trying to discourage you, but you might want to start comms now with us “crazy prepper/survivalist/militia” folks in the foothills. It is good to have a plan, it is better to have a good plan.

loekanle
10-24-2011, 4:32 PM
Im on the whenshtf.com and http://www.survivalistboards.com/
my handler is Nastynate1219

when I get a H.A.M I will PM to those I find worthy

@ xgi1991 I would love nothing more than to link up with "crazy prepper/survivalist/militia" it would be a great honor to link up and learn from those who prepares for the worst.

Falstaff
10-24-2011, 6:30 PM
You should start a motorcycle and gun club. Meet people at the clubhouse, get to know them and then just have a community vote on who gets in. My office/shop is on Mandela Parkway, it's pretty tame/normal during daylight (especially before 12:00 noon- the "turds" don't generally get up early) anyway, I feel for you Oakland full time residents- I only go there 2-3 days a week and that's too much.
Let me say this though, the hippie/burner/tweaker counter culture living in all the illegal lofts, wherehouses and shipping container "apartments" in that area- some of them are quite well prepared...The Kinetic Steamworks guys will be a force to be reckoned with I can assure you of that!

mag360
10-24-2011, 7:42 PM
I still like the idea of an "emergency alert system" via twitter or even a mailing list will work. I.e. "thugs are at my house with guns, come and take them out"

loekanle
10-24-2011, 8:09 PM
I still like the idea of an "emergency alert system" via twitter or even a mailing list will work. I.e. "thugs are at my house with guns, come and take them out"

If Shtf non of that stuff will work do not rely on twitter, facebook, or email that stuff will probably go out

get a H.A.M

Oh I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding, the high rise building im talking about occupying will not be shared with its original occupants
we don't need any moochers or eaters.

jonnyt16
10-24-2011, 8:11 PM
@stix213 don't worry about women, there will be alot of them who wont have a pot to piss in,if we have are **** together we can offer food and protection for sex and then kick them to the curve and get some others

Wow, really?

I'm starting to think you're actually hoping the SHTF just so a scenario like which you described may occur in which case you might finally lose your virginity.

loekanle
10-24-2011, 8:25 PM
Wow, really?

I'm starting to think you're actually hoping the SHTF just so a scenario like which you described may occur in which case you might finally lose your virginity.

HaHAHAHA no my friend I get it in when I can,and my virginity was lost a long time ago but if the scenario does hit it would be soo much easier, no more expensive dates, being charming, telling women what they need to hear, listening to their uninteresting conversations acting like you care and buying useless gifts. our whole mating rituals and courtship processes that we do for sex would be irrelevant.

we don't have to spend large sums of money to get in some girls pants, only thing we will have to do is give a women some food which are essential for them and their offspring needs to survive.

the_natterjack
10-24-2011, 9:05 PM
HaHAHAHA no my friend I get it in when I can,and my virginity was lost a long time ago but if the scenario does hit it would be soo much easier, no more expensive dates, being charming, telling women what they need to hear, listening to their uninteresting conversations acting like you care and buying useless gifts. our whole mating rituals and courtship processes that we do for sex would be irrelevant.

we don't have to spend large sums of money to get in some girls pants, only thing we will have to do is give a women some food which are essential for them and their offspring needs to survive.

Lost a lot of sympathy so far.

I kinda like civilization and I'll work to keep it running. :oji:

loekanle
10-24-2011, 9:18 PM
I like it too but it might be out of your hands or mine if a major catastrophic event take place in 2012 or 2011 or ever

Seeker
10-24-2011, 9:29 PM

How 'bout learning how to make beef jerky? I bought a book on how to make all kinds of jerky with all kinds of meat, fish and even chicken. Buy yourself a good book and practice making some beef jerky. The trick is to soak quarter-inch thick(or thinner) strips of meat in salt water and let them dry for a long period of time in the hot sun or on low heat(to prevent it from cooking but drying the meat and the same time) over an open fire. The open fire option helps to keep bugs away. Moisture is the enemy of beef jerky.

mag360
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
wow. This is the first time I've seen someone ask for shtf so they wouldn't have to take chicks out to dinner. Lol quit spending all your money prepping and get a life. Maybe hit up a night club wit some friends and buy a round of shots. There's fun things to do in the real world!

11HE9
10-24-2011, 11:09 PM
How 'bout learning how to make beef jerky?

X2 this ^^^

You can stock up enough stuff to last you years, but it can be gone in an instant. Fire, flood, vermin (2 & 4 legged) can clean you out in no time, then what??

Knowledge & skills can be worth their weight in food & ammo IMHO

thenodnarb
10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
this thread is hilarious.

NotEnufGarage
10-25-2011, 12:08 AM

Now that's funny. When the SHTF do you really expect your cell phone to work? That's probably one of the first things that will either be wiped out (by EMP), overloaded (by the paniced masses) or shut down (by the government).

My SHTF group is family (live within 5 minutes) and a couple select neighbors.

stix213
10-25-2011, 2:10 AM

Then you'll have no excuse when you show up at my place without one ;)

Stormfeather
10-25-2011, 9:24 AM
1.I dont want to be head huncho and we will form some kind of committee so everyone has a say and no one person can make decisions for a group because that's a pretty heavy responsibilty

You are correct, it is a heavy responsibility, and somebody has to take it. Just like someone has to be in charge and make decisions. A committee doesnt accomplish anything but waste time energy and effort. I dont know about you, but im not going to trust my wellbeing on a committee.

2.can you give me the link or PM me the info of the guy who sells the blue barrells

If you do some searching on the For Sale forum, the non firearms related section, you can find them in there. I think they may even be listed somewhere here in the survival forum as well.

3. we were going going to use H.A.M, if you no of other forms of communication let me know.

GMRS/FRS radios are good as well. Having HAM radios are great, do you have one yet? Do you know what freqs people use in your area? Its best to plan ahead and start doing this stuff before SHTF, the main reason being, the learning curve is going to be extremely steep once it does happen. You dont want to be the guy trying to figure out how to work a radio while crap is going down all around you.

We do have a plan
A. secure a designated location/ A high rise building

Do you have a building in mind? Have you recon'ed this building? Have blueprints to it? Do you know where to access blueprints for the building at? Do you know exactly where all the access points are, ingress/egress routes? What type of doors are they? Do they open in/out? How are you going to secure those doors? See where im going with this? Just looking at a building and saying "yea, thats the one we are going to take over," is a lot more complicated than this, it takes planning and preparation.

B. scavenge essential locations that have essential items for our survival by coordinating an organized group on the the location getting in and out as fast as possible.

So basically you plan on looting in a group I take it. Once again, no planning means you plan to fail. Looting doesnt ensure you get the types of supplies you will actually need. Plan ahead, and make it happen before you need to resort to looting.

C. we have designated several locations that can provide power like solar panels/wind turbines we will obtain and install at the designated location.

Great! So do you have said solar panels and wind turbines? Inverters? Battery Banks? Have the knowledge on how to set this system up?

D. secure a water truck

Got gas for this water truck? How about if somebody like me comes along and decides they want this water truck at Zero-dark thirty? What about when this water truck runs dry? Have a filtration system in place?

E. set up defenses

And what exactly will these consist of? Do you have weapons systems to man these defenses with? How about integration of everyone's defensive rifles? Do they all use the same ammo? magazines?

4. we haven't worked up a proper chain of command

Work up a proper chain of command, it will be worth it in the end.

This is a great start!

Why buy, when you can make it at home? Do some reading, experimentationm, and cut out the middle man and save money!

Good thing, make sure you know how to to do it, and have practiced it so you have the process down pat before you need to actually do it.

www.dealmed.com Pretty god place to start.

Flooding doesnt improve your defenses, it just means now you have multiple access points (windows) that a person can float up to and access the building into. With flooding, you lose power, so now you need a extra power source to power lights, which in turn the noise and light will draw more people to your location.

I really hope you arent serious here.

rodog
10-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Stormfeather has some great ideas. I would prioritize water before food, as they say 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 minutes without air... Also for power, I would look into solar and some deep cycle batteries on a battery tender, for those times you don't want to attract people to your diesel/gasoline/propane/etc generator. But then, you also have to think about blackening out your windows at night, etc. My old military training is most likely old and outdated, but I still enjoy reading these posts to give me ideas. There is also a cool audio/podcast thingy called "We're alive, a story of survival", that is a zombie story but has some cool ideas e.g. CB radios, power, etc.

loekanle
10-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info Stormfeather, xgi1991,seeker and wash

your info will be put use I was beginning to think that my thread was becoming a TAN
but I glad there are people out there that SHTF scenario serious

thanks alot guys

keenkeen
10-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow, really?

100% THIS!!

This tread is a riot...most I've laughed at any CalGuns thread to date!

:boat:

Chatterbox
10-28-2011, 1:48 PM
http://www.rotskyinstitute.com/rotsky/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/failboat2.jpg

Stan08
10-28-2011, 3:48 PM
that can be secured to wait out the SHTF

the area I picked is sound and has plentiful number of stores, hospitals,and a lake

Rules of SHTF:
*You will eventually run out of supplies.
*You will see the ugly side of mankind.
*You may eventually have to leave your home.
*You will eventually get hurt in some way.
*Your car will eventually break down.
*You will eventually have to walk.
*Despite your best attempts you are not guaranteed to win.

stormy_clothing
10-28-2011, 4:06 PM
I was at a SHTF training day last year when the "man" showed up and by the man I mean an undercover and somewhat attractive Latina working for some three letter agency.

They must have a local office to waste so much time as to care but I guess they do.

jonnyt16
10-28-2011, 9:47 PM
I was at a SHTF training day last year when the "man" showed up and by the man I mean an undercover and somewhat attractive Latina working for some three letter agency.

They must have a local office to waste so much time as to care but I guess they do.
Very interesting, do tell. How did you guys find out she was a fed?

Stormfeather
10-29-2011, 1:55 AM
Female Latina FEDS are hawt! Something about a latina woman, with a great job with benefits and access to full auto firearms that just gets me going!

just dont tell the wife!

GrizzlyGuy
10-29-2011, 7:13 AM
Female Latina FEDS are hawt! Something about a latina woman, with a great job with benefits and access to full auto firearms that just gets me going!

For your viewing pleasure (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=493921). Not a fed, but Neil says she is in law enforcement. I wonder what a guy has to do to get a pat-down search from her? ;)

Stormfeather
10-29-2011, 5:00 PM
Shes cute, no doubt, but Ive seen hotter cops!

loekanle
10-29-2011, 8:51 PM
what there are SHTF training courses
can somebody PM the info I wanna go and learn useful things
when is it happening next time?

10-29-2011, 9:16 PM
I live on the penninsula and think about SFTH too. Need to organize a group, all i have are me, my brother, and few friends close by.

Stormfeather
10-30-2011, 2:08 PM
what there are SHTF training courses
can somebody PM the info I wanna go and learn useful things
when is it happening next time?

How about research. . . lots of reading, no talking. . . . read, read, digest, read. . . read. . . and read some more.

Any talk of shootin, lootin, rapin, pillaging, ect ect, will probably get ya kicked off the forum, so be forewarned. bets bet is to read and gather as much info as you can use.

www.whenshtf.com
www.shtfready.com
www.survivalblog.com
www.preppergroups.com

loekanle
10-30-2011, 2:22 PM
@stormfeather thanks for the advice

I never said I was going to rape,loot,and pillaging on this forum

I said scavenge
and I am apart of WhenSHTF

thanks for the other sources

Stormfeather
10-30-2011, 2:29 PM
Anytime man, Im part of these forums as well, great resources for prepping!

loekanle
10-30-2011, 4:46 PM
@ storm-feather
I sent you a friend request on WHenSHTF

Dion
10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Go live in the Congo for 3 months. There's your training.

redrex
10-31-2011, 1:15 PM

Ok, as a Prepper in Oakland I was excited to see the title of this post. And after reading it, I get it your young and enthusiastic, I can forgive a lot but seriously? I'm sorry but at this point I'm going to Opt-Out of your tribe. From a basic Moral standpoint I believe that we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Should you have a moment of enlightenment and decide that perhaps the week should not be oppressed just because you can or that maybe, people are not walking snackboxes IM me and we can talk :)

For anyone else in the hood, as I said, I'm in Oakland and looking for "like minded folk". I have solid skills in Distillation, water and alcohol as well as hydroponics. I'm working on taking that up to Aquaponics right now in fact. I have a good start on a weapons/ammo cache. I have CB, FMS and GMRS radios, still working on Ham. I have a good water store, decent food supplies and medical up to a level 3 trauma kit.

loekanle
11-01-2011, 1:54 AM
Ok, as a Prepper in Oakland I was excited to see the title of this post. And after reading it, I get it your young and enthusiastic, I can forgive a lot but seriously? I'm sorry but at this point I'm going to Opt-Out of your tribe. From a basic Moral standpoint I believe that we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Should you have a moment of enlightenment and decide that perhaps the week should not be oppressed just because you can or that maybe, people are not walking snackboxes IM me and we can talk :)

For anyone else in the hood, as I said, I'm in Oakland and looking for "like minded folk". I have solid skills in Distillation, water and alcohol as well as hydroponics. I'm working on taking that up to Aquaponics right now in fact. I have a good start on a weapons/ammo cache. I have CB, FMS and GMRS radios, still working on Ham. I have a good water store, decent food supplies and medical up to a level 3 trauma kit.your naive for now but wait to SHtf you wont be so sympathetic, It will be those who have and those who dont

Dion
11-01-2011, 8:59 AM

For anyone else in the hood, as I said, I'm in Oakland and looking for "like minded folk". I have solid skills in Distillation, water and alcohol as well as hydroponics. I'm working on taking that up to Aquaponics right now in fact. I have a good start on a weapons/ammo cache. I have CB, FMS and GMRS radios, still working on Ham. I have a good water store, decent food supplies and medical up to a level 3 trauma kit.

Agreed.

I have an inherent problem with people over romanticizing a SHTF scenario, fueled by years of dystopian movies and video games... I am a basic prep'er with very basic skills (enough to get us by), but I avoid SHTF threads simply because they are so gun oriented. Guns, yes. But basic food, water and shelter - more important. Sustainability and access to first aid - these are the things that will keep you alive.

Infection, disease, exposure, parasites... all serious problems that a gun won't fix. Well, only if you turn the muzzle at yourself. Anybody ever consider that diarrhea can kill you? It does in 3rd world countries all the time.

People say we have become so advance... yes, for only that last 100 years. But for the last 10,000 years humans have lived in SHTF scenarios everyday, and people still live in SHTF in places like the Congo, like I mentioned before.

US history tells us that just under 150 years ago people were dying from infection... simple stuff like pneumonia that antibiotics cure today. Proper nutrition and clean water is first and foremost for survival - again, something a gun won't fix.

We also have to take into account FEMA and other government aid that would still be "attempting" to help people, and there are always philanthropic individuals who will step up and put others in front of themselves for the sake of charity and good will. People will attempt to organize, peacefully, but not without security. This has been illustrated numerous times before with 9/11, Katrina, etc. - people will always have a tribal "for the good of the whole" mentality, even in the worst of situations. There is no telling how long that would last, but it shows in current SHTF places in the world, like Africa.

I would be interested in a group that teaches hydroponics, water and alcohol distillation, naturally occurring edible plants and naturally occurring infection treatments and shelter prep. I want to know pediatric care and basic veterinary skills if I am to farm animals. I am not interested in joining a group that wants to dress up like MadMax and simulate tactical maneuvers with Airsoft guns - I did that when I was 8 yrs. old. Not only is it very geeky, but its very impractical. I don't need a "chain of command" because that means politics which destroys a tribal community. Personally, I have the guns thing down... now it's time to learn sustainability and living off the earth in a peaceful, yet secure, manner.

Like I said, if you really want to live in this kind of situation, move to Africa. If disease, infection, monsters (lions, hyenas, scary things), warlords and guerrilla soldiers don't get you, you win!

ocmsrzr
11-01-2011, 9:53 AM
This thread just keeps on giving...

xrMike
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
don't worry about women...

I never said I was going to rape,loot,and pillaging on this forum

I said scavenge

Dammit! Now, when SHTF comes, I guess we can forget about finding any canned chili in Bay Area...

;)

redrex
11-01-2011, 12:03 PM
your naive for now but wait to SHtf you wont be so sympathetic, It will be those who have and those who dont

You are very right. I am a horribly niave person. I wanted to understand how things worked so I became a self educated historian who started his education with the birth of society, the first four river civilizations, about 15,000 years ago and moved forward from there. I have read the bible, the Koran, the Torah and Talmud, the Tao Te Ching and the Vedic Scrolls because I learned that you could not understand a society without understanding their relationship with god. I have read Plato and Aristotle so as to master critical thought. This so that I could truly comprehend what it was that I was attempting to learn. I made a pilgrimage to Jamestown in Virginia just so I could set foot on the ground that started all of this and really envision what it meant to start from nothing and found a nation. I have actually been to third world countries and seen what real poverty looks like. I have read about every major military conflict as well as the collapse of society in places like Russia, Argentina and Central America so I could see in a real world setting what happens when bad things happen. I have read up on natural disasters like Katrina, Emily, the quakes in Haiti and Chile as well as tornadoes in the mid west, flooding in Asia and the tsunami in Japan so I could see how communities that have lost it all still manage to come together and rebuild. I have educated myself on firearms, resource limited farming, medicine, communications and basic mechanics. I have a basic stock pile of food, water, medical supplies and then firearms. I have spent countless hour preparing for the worst while still hoping for the best. And yet, compared to a lot of the guys on this board I'm the newb.

On top of that I live smack dab right in one of the worst parts of Oakland. But what do I know of violence and conflict?

So I guess your right, I'm terrible niave. What do I know right?

But tell us again how with with your three bags of rice, your pistol and your "evil 308 black rifle" you plan to enslave the rest of us. I bow to you master, teach me your ways and I will follow humbly in your shadow.

swat
11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
How about have this guy organize a survivalist group at 9228 Sunnyside Street? He might not get out of first meeting alive!!!

Stormfeather
11-01-2011, 2:07 PM
Agreed.

I have an inherent problem with people over romanticizing a SHTF scenario, fueled by years of dystopian movies and video games... I am a basic prep'er with very basic skills (enough to get us by), but I avoid SHTF threads simply because they are so gun oriented. Guns, yes. But basic food, water and shelter - more important. Sustainability and access to first aid - these are the things that will keep you alive.

Infection, disease, exposure, parasites... all serious problems that a gun won't fix. Well, only if you turn the muzzle at yourself. Anybody ever consider that diarrhea can kill you? It does in 3rd world countries all the time.

People say we have become so advance... yes, for only that last 100 years. But for the last 10,000 years humans have lived in SHTF scenarios everyday, and people still live in SHTF in places like the Congo, like I mentioned before.

US history tells us that just under 150 years ago people were dying from infection... simple stuff like pneumonia that antibiotics cure today. Proper nutrition and clean water is first and foremost for survival - again, something a gun won't fix.

We also have to take into account FEMA and other government aid that would still be "attempting" to help people, and there are always philanthropic individuals who will step up and put others in front of themselves for the sake of charity and good will. People will attempt to organize, peacefully, but not without security. This has been illustrated numerous times before with 9/11, Katrina, etc. - people will always have a tribal "for the good of the whole" mentality, even in the worst of situations. There is no telling how long that would last, but it shows in current SHTF places in the world, like Africa.

I would be interested in a group that teaches hydroponics, water and alcohol distillation, naturally occurring edible plants and naturally occurring infection treatments and shelter prep. I want to know pediatric care and basic veterinary skills if I am to farm animals. I am not interested in joining a group that wants to dress up like MadMax and simulate tactical maneuvers with Airsoft guns - I did that when I was 8 yrs. old. Not only is it very geeky, but its very impractical. I don't need a "chain of command" because that means politics which destroys a tribal community. Personally, I have the guns thing down... now it's time to learn sustainability and living off the earth in a peaceful, yet secure, manner.

Like I said, if you really want to live in this kind of situation, move to Africa. If disease, infection, monsters (lions, hyenas, scary things), warlords and guerrilla soldiers don't get you, you win!

I actually agree with pretty much everything you say here with the exception of the chain of command. If you have a group of people, then you will normally have someone in charge of it wouldnt you? Even in a "tribal community" as you state, there is a chieftain, a tribal leader. Without one, I think your idea of a community pretty much degenerates down to a useless group. Its been this way for years, in every part of the world, why would you want to reinvent the wheel?

Dion
11-01-2011, 4:26 PM
I actually agree with pretty much everything you say here with the exception of the chain of command. If you have a group of people, then you will normally have someone in charge of it wouldnt you? Even in a "tribal community" as you state, there is a chieftain, a tribal leader. Without one, I think your idea of a community pretty much degenerates down to a useless group. Its been this way for years, in every part of the world, why would you want to reinvent the wheel?
I should've been more clear. I would be all for some sort of community government, but not for a warlord-like chain of command.

Get young men with guns, no sense and impressionable, this type of stuff happens. Then they gang-rape women and chop people's limbs off with machetes.

Stormfeather
11-01-2011, 9:13 PM
I should've been more clear. I would be all for some sort of community government, but not for a warlord-like chain of command.

Get young men with guns, no sense and impressionable, this type of stuff happens. Then they gang-rape women and chop people's limbs off with machetes.

I fully understand what you mean when you say that and I agree as well.